It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
(female)

Pegret HB User
Triple Arthrodesis - Discharged, Success!

I'm Free!!! I have been released by the surgeon. I am in 2 shoes. I can drive. And best of all I will be having the other one done sometime between now and early October. My appointment will be set for early October, but I am on a wait list for cancellation and may get to have it done earlier. Oct 16 is my drop dead date to get it done and still be able to do tax season. Sure would like a little wiggle room. I have been declared a success at 10 weeks 5 days, surgery was May 27 and that process is written about on the May 27 post. This site has been so helpful in knowing what to expect. That being said, I am swollen and walk funny, but as he said, "You will grow to trust that foot. It is solid and healed." No pain meds for weeks now. I am leaving for Lake Michigan with a friend today. We will spend a few cays at her parents Condo that is right on the lake...ahhhhhhh. We are picking her son up from his summer camp position and bringing him home on Sunday. Only problem is it is a 7+ hour drive.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

boston18 HB User
Re: Triple Arthrodesis - Discharged, Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegret View Post
I'm Free!!! I have been released by the surgeon. I am in 2 shoes. I can drive. And best of all I will be having the other one done sometime between now and early October. My appointment will be set for early October, but I am on a wait list for cancellation and may get to have it done earlier. Oct 16 is my drop dead date to get it done and still be able to do tax season. Sure would like a little wiggle room. I have been declared a success at 10 weeks 5 days, surgery was May 27 and that process is written about on the May 27 post. This site has been so helpful in knowing what to expect. That being said, I am swollen and walk funny, but as he said, "You will grow to trust that foot. It is solid and healed." No pain meds for weeks now. I am leaving for Lake Michigan with a friend today. We will spend a few cays at her parents Condo that is right on the lake...ahhhhhhh. We are picking her son up from his summer camp position and bringing him home on Sunday. Only problem is it is a 7+ hour drive.
I am so happy to hear from someone who has had this triple arthrodesis surgery and is doing well. I am going to have this done in the next several weeks and wanted to know how the healing and post op went. I am trying to find your earlier notes on this
Thanks
Cab

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
(female)

Pegret HB User

Hi Cab,
I wish you well. I have been up in Michigan - a 7.5 hour drive from home this week. I saw the surgeon and was discharged Monday, and Tuesday I was on the road. I am staying with friends on Lake Michigan. I have been walking across the lawn of the condo, about 30 yards, then down the 30 steps to the shore, and across the sand to the water. Not brave enough to go in. Actually going in is not the issue. I am not steady enough to walk back out without getting tumbled by the waves. I'm also doing steps to the second floor bedroom. Took my first standing shower here, what luxury! LOL I am not using the cane, compression socks, and only taking 1 Aleve in the morning. I wake up with almost a normal foot, and go to bed with an ice pack and a very swollen ankle. It seems to be swelling on the outside. A friend says that those ligaments and tendons are learning to work in ways they haven't in decades - if ever. I am grateful.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
(female)

mammymim HB User

Hi, good to hear your good news.
my question is ,do you think I can go back to work as a nurse at 13 weeks after repair of PTT & Triple arthrodesis? I work just half time & in order to maintain my position can only take 12 weeks off.I would try to plan to not work 2 days in a row & take get my foot up & iced on my breaks. let me know what you think
PS I'll have the second foot fixed later.
thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
(female)

lovelyladi HB User

I Think Peg and I must have had different surgeries. I had a triple with a plate 6 screws, 2 pins and hunk of cadaver bone, and achillis tendon lenghthening Jan 15. I am 61 years old with no other health problems. My surgeon says I am on schedule, but it takes over a year for the bones to fuse. I had zero complications.

I wore a non weight bearing cast for 11 weeks and a boot for 7 weeks. I needed a walker for several weeks and then a cane for probably another month. I still have a lot of swelling at 7.5 mos. I still have trouble with my gait and my legs are still a bit weak. I wear a compression sock to help with the swelling. Uneven ground is still a challange, my surgeon vetoed a trip to Hawaii...said go next year..do not risk falling and messing up your foot.

I admire Peg's sucess but each surgery and recovery is different

Shelly

Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
(female)

Pegret HB User

I had my triple on May 27. I am a healthy 61, 60 then. I have 5 screws and 4 bone grafts in the hind part of the foot. I had a gastroc slide (cutting of part of the Achilles tendon) I had 2 toes shortened, and have pins in each one. I had 4 cast changes in the first 2 weeks, 5 in all during the non-weight bearing time of 6 weeks and 5 days. I used the surgical boot for 4 weeks.

It was an amazing recovery. I was about 6 weeks ahead of the schedule the doc laid out when we visited in December and set it all up. Everyone responds differently. I was very fortunate.
Peg

Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
(female)

Pegret HB User

As you have seen, my recovery was very good. I am at exactly 12 weeks and I cannot imagine being on my fee all day. I am still pretty sedentary, and I go to bed each night with ice. I am not on any pain meds, but I do swell. Peg

Closed Thread