It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

alicia9612 HB User
peroneal tendon surgery

Good afternoon,
I had a surgery on June 4, 2009. The doctor removed 5 cm of my brevis peroneus tendon which was destroyed, and attached it to the longus peroneus tendon. (left foot-praise God not the right one).
I had 18 physical therapy sessions. But after 10 weeks of the surgery, I still can not walk without swollen and painful foot. Do I have to continue using the boot (brace)?
How long it will take to heal and end the swelling after walking?
I'm swimming and doing some upper weight training.
I'm 53 female.
Thank you for your help.
Alicia

Last edited by moderator2; 08-12-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: posted contact info - please read the posting rules

Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Re: peroneal tendon surgery

alicia, I had both peroneals repaired and I was in a boot about six weeks then in PT for 6 weeks. I was pretty much healed by the end of PT. I still had swelling from time to time but was relatively pain free. Everyone is different but that does seem like a long time to have that much pain. My doctor told me 3 months recovery and I was on target with that. What does your doctor say?

emmie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

alicia9612 HB User

Thanks Emmie. Yes, the doctor told me it will take about 3 and a half months. I had already 2 months...it's getting better. What do you feel before surgery? Why the 2 tendons? both feet? at the same time? I did not have any accident. I just started feeling a lot of pain, so I had to stop running. It took like a year before the surgery. I did it in Colombia because I do not have any insurance here in USA. But it was a very good surgeon, praise God!
Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-13-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

I had PTTD surgery and had my heel bone shifted during it, which realigned my foot. My foot was pretty badly pronated for a long time prior to surgery. When the foot is put into proper alignment the peroneals are at risk as they are stretched tighter than they were. In a perfect world they adapt and all is well. But I had an overzealous physical therapist that was trying to force my foot into inversion by manually jerking it inward. I'm convinced that is what tore the peroneals as it was excrutiatingly painful when he did it and that pain never went away until after surgery.

The pain was behind my ankle bone and sort of felt like it was underneath the ankle bone too...deep inside. I also had some snapping of the tendon from time to time which is what first clued my doctor into the fact that it may be something else going on besides PTT surgery recovery. So, one year after reconstruction I had the peroneals repaired. By the way, the MRI only showed one was torn but when he got in there they both were.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread