It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User
5 months from 1st surg 2 months from pins out

I need a few answers. Does any who has had a heel osteomy have trouble with the tendon in the back of your leg being super tight? How about pain when you walk? I thought for sure by now it would be gone. It's not. I would love to be able to make it thru a store whithout wishing I had taken a motorized cart or even being able to walk a mile. I do my stretching and excersizes but not much is changing. An hints to what I can do to speed this healing up???????????

Old 08-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: 5 months from 1st surg 2 months from pins out

I can't believe you're at 5 months post op. I sometimes still think of you all as 2 months behind me. Which is odd cause I just started over. I think the tightness is normal. My PT massaged the area and I then started religiously using epson salt and just a few days after giving myself a hard week on my foot did the pain go down and now is nonexistent. I was told it would go away as I gained muscle. Give yourself a break, you had two surgeries on that foot it might take a while. Soak it. Dip it in hot wax. It will come.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
(female)

yaohua HB User

Walleye, It seems to me I am the only one who has complained several times on this board that I have pain when walk. I am 19 weeks post-op, almost 5 months. Ever since I dropped the boot and got in tennis shoes, I started developing pain when walk (that was June 22nd, 12 weeks post-op). Now almost 2 months in shoes, the pain is still with me. There are good days and bad days, mostly bad days. However, my pain comes from top of the foot and outside of the foot and ankle. My front ankle is very tight, not like yours the tightness is in the back of your leg. I also do my stretching exercises. But when I walk, I have pain. I am like you wish that I could go to the store without using the motorized car. But I will definitely use one if I go to a big store like Costco unless I know I only need to pick up a couple of things. I can't walk a mile. I can't single leg stand for 20 seconds. I still cannot tip toe stand on operated foot (unless it was two-toe standing at the same time). Every morning when I put my pants on, I have to hold on to wall or something to put my good leg through. I hate walking on uneven surface. My PT sessions did include all exercises to help me do those things. I got better, but not without a lot of pain. I am frustrated with the pain when I walk. Like you, I think at this time of recovery, we should have no pain, reasonably good ROM, and occassional swells. I think that the swell is going to last for a long time, maybe a year. I don't know if the pain we have at this stage of recovery is normal or not. I hope it is normal so that we have something good to look forward to. I am scheduled to see my doctor in another week. I have lots questions to ask.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yaohua,
Yep it is frustrating. I'm jealous of all who get a message, I get tools used on the muscle and man it hurts. You talked about the uneven ground, I can tell you for sure that the more you go out and walk on uneven ground the faster the pain for that will go away. I walk in the back yard and mine has some slight hills I would walk up and down them and all over the yard and within a week I could do it without alot of pain. I haven't figured out what will stregthen that silly muscle in the back of my leg but wish it would just get stronger soon......
Do you have pain in your big toe?
I find I like the crocs for walking but was told they don;t give enough support, my tennis shoe make my foot hurt with the heel wedge & without it I just can't find a happy medium. Going out to purchase a new pair today so maybe that will help. I just hate to spend over a hundred bucks for tennis shoes.
Worldwalker, How's the recovery going.????????

Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

yaohua HB User

Walleye77, I will take your advice and walk on uneven surface (my back yard) to see if it helps. My big toe does not hurt, but get numb from to time, especialy if inactive for a period of time (like sleeping or sitting too long). When numbness happens, I will massage/rub it to get the blood flow again. I like to work on elliptical machine. It helps strengthen the calf muscle. I have tape measure handy and measure the size of my ankle and calf comparing them with my non-surgery foot. My ankle is about the same size, but the calf is still smaller than the non-surgery leg. Overall the foot, no matter which area you measure at whatever time, the operated foot is still bigger than the other foot b/c of the swelling, which is expected.

I am wearing a pair of Finn Comfort sandals with top two velcro straps and another strap on back ankle. The back ankle strap is good, which helps position your foot inside the sandals thus preventing slipping accident. I also have a pair of New Balance tennis shoes (with my custom orthotics) which I wear to the gym. In this hot Houston weather, I prefer the sandals, but tennis shoes gives me more overall support around the foot. Yeah, you are right on Crocs. My OS did not want me to wear that even though he himself wears them.
I am still struggling and frustrating at times. But I am also hoping that I will get better and walk better without a limp or pain soon. Yaohua

Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Yaohua,
I have an eliptical only tried once but will give it a try. My surgical leg is way smaller than the other. The big toe thing for me has been there for months and have to pick up a marble and pull the toe back to stretch it. Did go back to the Schuler shoes today to get a new pair of new balance. They measured my foot and couldn't stop telling me how sorry they were for having fitted me with the wrong size shoe last year. They were double EE which were way too wide. They were nice enough to give me 15% off and got me in the right size.
Hopefully this will help with the stability thing. I still wear my croc in the house as I still can't stand to walk on the hard floors.

Closed Thread