It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #31
(male)

LENNON85 HB User
Re: Flat Feet: MBA Implant

Hi sarahluke,
How are you feeling? How is PT going? I just hope that things will be done right the first time and that this will work. So i dont have to get flat foot reconstruction and have to be in a cast for three months. I will take the recovery time one step at a time. lol. I just cant imagine how the walking will be and how hard it is going to be. But I am just going to trug throught and try to get back to work. I will see how the frist two weeks ago after I am alowd to bare weight on my feet and try walking to see if I need to go to PT. Would you recomend PT. When I was talking to my dad the other day he said that it would'nt be a bad idea if I did do PT. Well he thinks I should because I might have to teach my self to walk again. i just told him that I will take it one step at a time. How bad were your calfs after recovery time? Did you have a lot of weakness after the surgery? I hope all is well and good luck with everything. Thanks again you have been very helpfull.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #32
(male)

Steve Hill HB User

Hey Lennon85,
I have had flat feet all my life a well as i decieded to do something about it, im 39yrs. I had the total reconstruction surgery done along with the MBA implant on both feet. Im currently recovering post op 13 weeks on my left foot and 6 weeks on my right. Like you im the kind of person that doesnt like to be told i "cant" do something. I will tell you this it is nothing short of a challengeing and humbling experience BUT it can be done. Ive been in a wheelchair since July 9th and now im gradually walking on crutches in a camwalker on both feet and doing physical therapy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. However i have a question for anyone out there about the length of time to be in the camwalker throughout the day, do i wear all day and take it off at night or wear it only when i have to walk around? Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #33
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hi Lennon and Steve,
I had my surgery almost 7 months ago so I way ahead of you guys . I did not have the tarsus implant but rather a bone wedge put in my lateral heel with a plate and screws and an accessory navicular removed from the medial side of foot, and the gastroc cutting. I'm not in PT anymore but I HIGHLY recommend it. I quit too early - or rather I should say my insurance quit too early. The scar deep tissue work was what was the most beneficial. It needs to be mobilized by a professional. When I left PT I was still walking with a serious limp but I was in a regular shoe without crutches. My knees and heels started to hurt and I didn't know how to walk "normally" since my feet have been bad my whole life (I am 43). So I watched hours of gait videos and proper running/chiwalking videos online. You can find them if you google. It REALLY helped me relearn the proper gait and I figured out what I was doing wrong which was very subtle. The last to heal has definitely been the calf. It is tight and cramps easily. Just in this past week it has started to feel normal and I can raise up on my toe about an inch -- a month ago it was nill. If I push it too fast it will spasm very easily. Massage has been imperative for it.

My doctor had me wearing my camboot all day unless I was sitting in a recliner then I could take it off and wiggle my toes and do some easy movements. He said it was very important to sleep in a boot or brace to keep the foot neutral so that calf is kept in a stretch. I slept in a lightweight splint because the boot was too heavy and bulky. I tried to sleep without anything once and just the covers sitting on the foot was painful so I preferred the protection of the splint.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #34
(male)

Steve Hill HB User

Sarahluke
Thank you very much for the advice on the gait videos I will definitely look them up. However, now I may have to have my MBA implant removed, because since my first surgery in May and the second in July all has been healing well except now that ive been weight bearing for about three weeks my ankles have been in tremendous pain, whether sitting, standing or walking and they remain stiff in the night. My Dr suggested that we give it more time and then have them removed, but I notice that since I had both done at separate times and they BOTH HURT in the same place then im sure it’s the same problem. I also read on here that most Drs wont do this procedure on people over 40 and im 39 so i guess im in that boat too... So why wait and prolong it further to have these things removed. Any thoughts?

Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #35
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Steve,
Boy, sorry to hear that both of your feet hurt. There is NOTHING like foot pain and only we "footies" can relate which is why I love this board. Do they hurt in the spot that the implant is? If it is a different joint that is hurting then maybe that joint is having trouble adjusting and just needs some deep tissue muscle and fascia work. If it were me I would try all other avenues before getting those implants out. I would seek out a very experienced foot massage therapist, or Physical therapist, or chiropractor who specializes in extremities. The PT that I used after my surgery was REALLY good at massaging my foot and calf and she released SO much. Now I see a regular massage therapist who also spends extra time on my foot. If the pain is directly over the implants then that may be a whole different ballgame. My friend had the implant and he is a grandpa and doing fantastic with his foot - no more pain - he had it done in May. Chin up!
Here's my progress: YIPPEE! I made the right decision getting my surgery. I can walk normal now (7 months post op) and my legs no longer ACHE.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #36
(male)

Steve Hill HB User

Hi Sarahluke,
The pain is in both ankles in same spot where the implants are, the outside on my feet. The Dr left in some screws also where my arch is suppose to be, now that im full weight bearing in shoes i feel th discomfort in that area as well. So we opted to have them all removed next friday. My Dr said it is not uncommon to have the implants removed because of my severe deformity of my feet. So im crossing my fingers that this the final procedure in my flat feet saga....lol

Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #37
(female)

JANARCHER HB User

How did everything turn out with the implants? My 9 year old is supposed to have surgery on his left foot on 2/10/11 and after reading some of the posts I am finding here, I am a bit nervous. Most of them are fairly old so that makes me feel a little better but still...

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
(male)

Steve Hill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANARCHER View Post
How did everything turn out with the implants? My 9 year old is supposed to have surgery on his left foot on 2/10/11 and after reading some of the posts I am finding here, I am a bit nervous. Most of them are fairly old so that makes me feel a little better but still...
Hi,well i did have the implants removed but turned out that that wasnt the problem i had ankle spurs that were casuing the discomfort in my walking however since your son is only 9yrs old im sure the procedure will be sucessful bein that his bones and ligaments havent fully developed so the will form around the implants, good luck and keep us posted

Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #39
(male)

mvb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybkcj View Post
Lennon,

I just had the MBA implant surgery done on my left foot about 4 weeks ago. I am still mostly non-weightbearing and I am writing to tell you to please only do one foot at a time. Unless you have someone who can be there to help you at all times, you will probably have a very hard time. I have had a very hard time with just the one foot and am just now able to put a little weight on with a boot. I may still have to do physical therapy and walk a little with a boot for at least another month. The reason I say please only do one foot is because you never know how your recovery will be. Everyone is completely different. I mean it might take you months to recover. I had been in a cast and on crutches for 4 weeks. I was not able to put any weight on my foot and my ankle is still completely bruised and swollen and it really hurts to put any weight on it and it has been four weeks. If I had done both feet, I can imagine it would be very depressing! My Doctor told me that because my ankle atrophied so much I will probably have to do physical therapy before I can walk without a boot and the one boot is VERY hard to walk with, I cant imagine walking with two! If you do decide to go through with both feet, I wish you the best!
hi kelly,
i know you posted a while ago about subtalar implants, im just wondering how your feet are now.do you reccomend it? did you only have the implant and nothing else done to your foot? what is your age? im thinking about having the implants done also, along with a kidner procedure and calf lengthening. any advice would be great.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #40
(female)

yujiaog HB User

Hi, Sam,

Can i ask after your mba implant removed, your arch collapsed, is there correction loss of arch?
thank you

Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #41
(female)

operationdupied HB User

Hi Tikiman53,
I was searching the health board forum for someone who had the MBA implant put in.
My daughter who is 9 just had the MBA implant three days ago. She is in very bad pain even with the medication .This occurs especially when she has to get up and go to the bathroom. A walking boot was prescribed and she can put weight on as soon as she wants. Currently she can not even wear the boot, it hurts too bad.If you get this message how did you manage the pain and how long did it take before you could put your foot down without pain? Are you now happy now with the MBA implant? Did you need to remove it? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
(female)

mutedgirl HB User

I didn't have this surgery, but when i was younger (about 7) my podiatrist recommended it but my mother said no as they didn't really bother me. a few years on (I just turned 14) they are really bad and i had my Left foot operated on about 4 months ago and i am still in an aircast and on crutches. reading your post just made me wish that my parents had done the surgery when i was 7 when it would only have taken 3 months and only 30 mins in the operating room instead of 6 moths and 4 1/2 hours in the operating room and a week in hospital!
Hope you are doing good!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
(female)

operationdupied HB User

Hi MutedGirl, Thank you for your reply. My daughter is much better now and i am sure in a few days she will be able to walk with the aircast . For my son, who is 14, the orthopedict surgeon recommended a calaneal osteotomy and gastro recession as well as a fusion of the accessory navicular. This is the reason we decided to do the implant for our daughter so she does not end up in the same situation. What did you have done that took 4 1/2 hour in the surgery room ?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
(female)

benmitsmom HB User

My son just turned 10. we see the podiatrist again tomorrow. the MBA implant has been recommended for him. our next step is to see the pediatric orthopedist. i am very nervous about having someone cut my son. im concerned about the after effects for him. i see what the procedure is, but i am wondering what the true length of time is for this healing to occur. he loves baseball & im wondering if this is done will he be able to run & play ball in the spring? please give any thoughts you have. thanks

Closed Thread