It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Dancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB UserDancinboots HB User
If you knew then what you know now would have you had foot surgery?

I thought it would be an interesting post to find out if you knew then what you know now about the results of foot surgery would you have had your surgery? I woudn't have. I had mortons neuroma surgery in May 2008 and I am still having complications. My foot has a more annoying feeling after than surgery than before and of course no one admits that they may have messed up. They tell you it's all in your head. Hope most of you have good experiences to share, but I would like to hear from the not too happy people also and what kind of problems you are dealing with after surgery.

Sharon

Old 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: If you knew then what you know now would have you had foot surgery?

All in all, yes, I'd do it again. But I've had 3 surgeries to fix the original problem. My biggest beef is that each time the MRI's didn't show all that was wrong. For example,
my first MRI said I had a torn peroneal tendon only. Said the bones were perfect, ligaments, perfect, no subluxation, nothing else. Well, at surgery my OS found 2 OCD lesions with displaced bone fragments. Also, 2 ruptured ligaments and the peroneal tear was there. Luckily by physical examination he knew my ligaments weren't good and my peroneal tendon was subluxating. But at surgery, he could only do so much, microfracture with the 2 OCDs.

I continued to have pain, esp with the OCD area. Had another MRI showed OCD's this time but said peroneal tendons were PERFECT and ligaments were great. Had 2nd surgery and fixed one of the OCD's, and what do you know, dr. found peroneal tendon torn in 2 spots, adhesions from scar tissue, and a bunch of other stuff around the peroneal tendons. Also had my ligaments fixed again because they were stretched out making my anke unstable. Now, had the MRI showed something he may have approached the repair in a different way other than just sewing it up. Docs are limited somewhat with what they can do if they don't have your okay. ...

Pain continued big time. Worse than before. Have CT which shows bones are PERFECT. Have surgery for pain and dr. finds OCD looks no different than surgery #2, like he didn't do anything. Also found PTT tear and my peroneal and PTT tendons were stuck to the bone unable to move.

So my beef is that in every case the MRI, CT, X-ray, whatever showed basically nothing and each time was 100% wrong. Because of this, the surgical procedure may have been different if the dr. knew exactly what he was going to find beforehand. LIke he may have done OATS earlier, or done a tying or rerouting of tendons. But without my signiture, he could only sew the tears up or do the microfracture.

My ankle will always be bad. The pain I had fixed is better, but now I have all new types of pain I didn't have before. I'm hoping this 3rd time will be the charm and the pain overall will be less. But so far that isn't the case. I do hope that by having the surgery and fixing the OCDs that I will avoid fusion in the future. So even if the pain is slightly better, if I can still have my ankle without fusion then I'll consider it a sucess.

Last edited by K_Lana; 08-20-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to have the neuroma removal and the cheilectomy done at the same time instead of 1 year apart. My surgeon suggested that but I declined as the neuroma seemed to be far more painful than the turf toe. Ha! When the neuroma was gone I found out JUST how painful the toe was on its own. Both surgeries came out perfect. (though I am numb between the toes where the neuroma was removed - but that's a normal side effect and I was told that ahead of time as I know you were, Dancinboots)

Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

swim22 HB User

I had the PTTD, Calcaneal Osteotomy and achilles lengthening. Yes, I would have ithe surgery again as most of the pain that was always there before was not there after the surgery. But - I still have an ankle that turns in so much that I can only wear tennis shoes or something like that and I thought my ankle would be straight after the surgery. I am almost one year post-op and everything was starting to feel stronger by last month but the pronating is now causing some pain in the new tendon -- if I work out on a bike or treadmill - where I had the pain before. In my mind, if I am still pronating, what is going to keep the same thing from happening again?

The doctor told me to go back into the boot for a week and ice it twice a day but I am concerned that the new tendon is starting to give way. Having said that - I had to have surgery or wear a brace for the rest of my life so I am not sorry I went through it.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

Hey Dancinboots. We had surgery at the same time. I'm sorry you are having problems. I hope there will be a solution to your pain and discomfort.
Though my foot isn't perfect, it is much improved. I had a bunionectomy on either side of the right foot with osteotomies and temporary pins. I'm glad I had surgery. I need to have the same procedure on the left foot at some time in the hopefully distant future. After reading posts on this board I have come to the conclusion that some people have bad feet, some bad doctors, some poor ability to heal etc.. In other words having surgery is a crap shoot. I know that my next surgery may deliver a completely different outcome than my first experience. Take care.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Dancinboots I always fancied your username and I'm sorry to hear that you are having such regrets. I am a PTTD foot person. I had surgery 2/16 and to answer your question. Knowing everything I know now from my first one I would have surgery again. In fact I did on 8/10 on my other foot. I did this young and I hope for a long happy active life and that I've gotten this out of the way so I can embark on whatever leads to a non college life. I am miserable from my tormentor and helper my mother, but the recovery and the results have been good. Whenever I worried if there was something wrong it was partially fear that it didn't work and it was in my head. However they would at least see me via appointment or phone call or email and let me know where to go from there or why it was happening to calm down all that stuff in my head. Of course with round two I'm sure I'll forget half the things about physical therapy but I look forward to the challenge of getting to the point where I wont have pain and I can well...dance. 'Cept this time I'm not going to go and push my recovery too fast with any cartwheels like last time. Best Wishes.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
(female)

Pegret HB User

I am only 12 weeks out, but I am an unqualified yes. Recovery has gone much better than expected. Discomfort now in that foot instead of pain. Stability rather than instability. I can't wait to get the other one done. Am I totally recovered? Nope. I expect to fight the swelling for another 6 weeks or so, but I expect to walk on these feet for another 30 years (I'm 61)
Peg

Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
(female)

aed2113 HB User

That's something people ask me all the time. I was supposed to have 4 procedures done on each foot (evans and cotton osteotomies, tarsal tunnel release, and gastroc lengthening). I was supposed to be done with surgery in a year but it's been a lot longer and I've had non-unions in both feet and now two surgeries has turned into 4 with a 5th to come and now a stress fracture on top. I'm still in pain all the time but the way I see it is that I was getting to the point where I could barely walk anymore and at that point I was only 17 and nothing else had worked at all so I guess I would do it all again because otherwise who knows where I would be.
I will say that if I knew what I know now I would have waited longer between each foot. My doctor said that I would be fine at 8 weeks and I waited longer than that but it would be nice to not be jumping back and forth between feet and to have a chance for one to fully heal before the next one breaks down...but at the time I wanted it all to be done before college and I didn't want to go to prom on crutches...needless to say crutches for college, prom, graduation, and most other important things.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Four weeks ago I had an injection in my foot in hopes that it would soften the scar tissue in my foot from my Neuroma surgery. I was told that the scar tissue was rubbing against the nerve which is causing the discomfort. Well anyway today I went for a follow up appointment and my pod told me that my foot felt more pliable than it did before the injection, so he thinks the injection may be doing it's job, softening the scar tissue.

He said it may take about 3 months to see or should I say "feel" the end results. He also suggested that I purchase a pair of either MBT or Sketcher rocker athletic shoes. He thinks they would help take the weight off the ball of my foot as I walk. I know they take some getting used to. So tomorrow I go shoe shopping.

His opinion was that Sketcher rocker shoes were just as good as MBT and not as expensive. Have any of you had any experience with this type of shoe? I have decided to try and change my mindset and instead of saying every thing is the same with my foot, I'm going to say "It's getting better". Another thing I asked was whether or not your nerves can regenerate themselves and he he said yes, but it takes a long time. I will remain hopeful and never give up looking for solutions.

Thank God, I have feet to walk on. I have a friend who had her foot amputated in January from the knee down, and now she is back to teaching line dancing with her prostetic (wrong spelling) foot.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 08-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Boots,

Just wanted to hop in here because I just returned a pair of the MBT shoes and a pair of the Skechers Walk Fit shoes because my OS recommended them to me also ... here's what I found ...

Neither come in a Wide size which is what I need right now because not only is my surgery foot still swollen, but I still need to wear a stirrup brace so while my 'good' foot fit in both brands, bad foot even without the brace was VERY tight. Not sure if you are still swollen but something to consider. (I don't take a Wide shoe normally either)

What I can say though from having each one on my good foot was that the MBT was way more comfy and cushioned than the Skechers, kinda felt like what it would feel like to walk on your mattress, which I guess is the point. Both come in some funky colors and look pretty much the same (and both make you over an inch taller . They do seem though like they take some practice to get used to and a bit more strength and stability to walk in than I have right now.

... MBTs were $245 and the Skechers were like $125 ..

Good luck!
Kim

Last edited by moderator2; 08-23-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 09-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
(female)

CALADY HB User

Hi there: I had the PTTD, Calcaneal Osteotomy and achilles lengthening PLUS a bunionectomy. I would do it again because the surgeon told me that the torn tendon had started to calcify and arthritis WOULD have eventually set in my foot. I am too young (54) to have to deal with arthritic feet. In addition, I am a tour guide and walk an average of 800-1000 stairs when I work. I am only 9 weeks out and am still in the aircast (walking cast). I go to physical therapy twice a week and I know I will be off of work until at least the beginning of the year. However, that said, I am absolutely not sorry I did the surgery.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Another thing I asked was whether or not your nerves can regenerate themselves and he he said yes, but it takes a long time. I will remain hopeful and never give up looking for solutions.

I have experience with this many times. For example, after my ankle fusion I had a lot of spots on the bottom of my foot that I could not feel. It took up to two years before I could feel all of it.

Continue to have hope - the nerves will regenerate!

Step

Old 09-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Hi Kim

Well I splurged and purchased the MBT sport shoe (the most I have ever spent on shoes) I'm hoping they will help take the pressure off the ball of my foot and the scar tissue will heal. So far I have just been wearing them around the house, and they feel pretty good. They do take some getting used to with the rocker sole. You are only supposed to wear them a little while every day adding more time daily. I was told it would take about 2 weeks before you would feel comfortable wearing them all day, since they work different muscles as you wear them. Sorta like how you feel when you haven't exercised for awhile. Since they are black I am waiting till I start wearing long pants before wearing them all the time out of the house. They look kinda ridiculous with shorts.

Sharon

Last edited by Dancinboots; 09-04-2009 at 07:24 AM.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
(female)

dbast HB User

I am also an "unqualified" Yes. I am now 8 weeks post op for a right ankle allograft OATS. I am going to PT for range of motion right now, and that is coming along very slowly...but getting better none the less. I have not had any of the pains I had before surgery, but I am not walking on it yet either. Before, the pains were the worst when I was walking or active but I would also get the pains just sitting on the couch watching TV and that has not happened at all. I do have some pain still, but I can tell it is related to the procedure and not the same as before. I have been told that you can not call this a success or failure until a least a year post op. I am very hopeful that this was the answer to problem. I am most looking forward to dancing again!! Seems to be a common thing on here! LOL

Old 10-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

StepbyStep89

Did your Doctor say how long he said it would take for you nerves to regenerate? That's exactly what I am hoping for. I know it is a very slow process. I feel exactly as you do hopeful and always looking for solutions. Hope is what keeps us going.

Closed Thread