It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
(male)

glbeacher HB User
any good cheilectomy stories

posted this thread once before, would like to hear everyones updates.
i am really nervous in Georgia.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: any good cheilectomy stories

I did very well after mine for about 4 years. I worked on my feet alot and had prior surgery to the area and I ended up having the joint fused a few years ago. Altho I had to get use to it I dont regret either surgery and have much less pain than I did before. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
(male)

glbeacher HB User

how come it only lasted for 4 years. did you wear any steel inserts after surgery, or did you go back to walking normal like before the surgery.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I had both my sesamoids taken out before the surgery and my DR told me he thought I would need a joint replacement in about 5 years because of the condition of my foot. It was 4 years and I couldnt have the joint replaced, I had too much arthiritus and with the sesamoids gone the fusion was the better option for me. I did walk normal after the surgery and really did well for the 4 years... everyone is different and I had already had 2 surgeries before the cheilectomy, one was botched by a bad surgeon so I am sure that played into my situation. I did have alot of relief afterwards and it was so worth it to me.
I didnt have steel inserts. I did try custom orthotics before and had no luck.

Last edited by dlh; 09-01-2009 at 06:15 PM. Reason: left something out

Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
(male)

glbeacher HB User

thanks for replying. I am 43 and have bone spurs on both big toes, can't believe i have arthritis at this age. really depressed and scared about this, but I am going to have to get my left foot done, I did not catch it in time and the spur is pretty big. sounds like the cheilectomy was not your problem, I am just wondering how long it will last after surgery before spurring up again.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I am 44, my fusion was at age 40 and that was surgery # 4 on my toe. It is also my left foot! I dont have spurs on my big toes butI do have severe heel spurs on both feet. I would have surgery for that if I had health insurance right now but I dont so until then I get injections. Iknow some people say not too have them but it really helps with the PF and they last about 5 months so twice a year isnt too bad. Its just buyng me time though. I hope you can goa good time before they spur again. I was depressed too in the begining but it is what it is and I decided not to let it beat me and rob my happiness. Not always easy, I certianly understand your your fear. I wish you the best

Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
(male)

glbeacher HB User

you did have spurs on your big toe when you had the cheilectomy didn't you.
so you had your toe fused, and now you have plantar fascitis. how long did it take you to recover from the cheilectomy. I have had hand surgery and it took me a year to recover from being diagnosed with ruptured tendons and they ended up being ok. so I had to recover from being cut open and rehabbing the hand from being cut open.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
(male)

glbeacher HB User

what kind of doctor did you use for the cheilectomy. I have been going to a sports ortho foot/ankle orthopedist. I know he has done nba and nfl players.
so I don't think I can get a better doctor. it is the procedure that has me worried, because he flat out told me this helps 8 out of 10 people, and that is pretty much it.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

those are good odds though and he is being honest....if you trust him and feel he is good thats says alot. Its a 75 % chance n your favor but you have to be comfortable with the choice you make.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
(male)

PaoloV HB User

Hey GL, it looks like you're still active on this message board so I'll give you my (short) story. 49 y/o male, fairly active, but not an athlete. Mostly coaching and recreational sports (golf, occasional tennis, b-ball in the drive way, that kind of stuff).

I had my cheilectomy (right foot) on 11/19 (four days ago). I too was/am concerned. There seems to be a fair amount of horror stories out here. I was a hallux limitus, between a 2 and 3 with partial cartilage loss.

So far, so good. It's Sunday morning and I'm off the pain meds (Toradol & Darvacet). Walking around the house, on my heal only, w/out crutches. No pain. Doc said it was OK, just keep it elevated.

I went with an Orthopedic surgeon from the Cleveland Clinic. I asked around and found the person with the best reputation in Westlake I could find. (Tons of doctors in Westlake. It's that kind of a neighborhood). He said he does 3 - 4 cheilectomies a week.

No idea what long term holds, but like I said, so far, so good.

Plenty more details if people are interested.

Paolo

Old 11-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #11
(male)

antawndavison HB User

Dont rush the rehab like I did- was jogging 8-9 miles only 4 weeks after surgery, The best thing i did was use a pool for buoyancy to work on toe off when you walk or run. I did rush everything and could probably use another surgery and im only 8 months from original surgery. Spurs are growing but I can run as long as Im in brooks beast running shoes with a carbon fiber plate to keep toe from bending to much

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Antawn: Sorry you're still having issues. Did you have holes drilled in the remaining cartiledge to promote growth? I did and that was probably the best part though it did take the full year of recovery for it to really be noticeable.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
(male)

glbeacher HB User

i know it is hard to slow down when we are so active. but it seems like running is going to make the spurring come back. My doc told me and said you will be very sore if you do. I have just realized I have to use an exercise bike for any cardio. Since I have it in both toes, I am happy to walk. Have to wear carbon inserts with brooks beasts, but no way I could run without pain. When I asked my ortho, how long would the cheilectomy last, he said we hope it would last 10 years, But I really think it is a crap shoot. because you can't really get a good confirmation from the doctor. I am just going to deal with the pain as long as I can. He said I could do that to, and then just do a fusion, so what do you do. we are all in no win situations with H/R.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm sorry you see it as a no win situation. I certainly did not before my surgery and almost 7 years later, I'm still very happy with my decision. My doc told me 20 years and at this point I certainly think that's possible....and I've gotten back to jogging as well.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
(male)

glbeacher HB User

well, like you told me once before Titchou, you probably are the poster child for good outcomes of this surgery. But I have read some bad ones, more bad then good. I see it as a no win situation because its either live with the pain, take a chance on the surgery and hope it is a good outcome, and then hope it lasts long enough, to avoid a fusion. I guess i am just not hurting bad enough yet.

Closed Thread