It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

ColorMeYellow HB User
Exclamation Burning/Wet sensation after foot surgery?

So I've had severe foot problems for almost six years now. Six years ago I fractured my left foot in 13 or so places. It healed, but from that day on, the pain never stopped. A few years later, I ripped the tendon in the arch of my foot. (I don't know the name). So I had a repair in March 2007. I ripped the tendon again in September. So in December 2007, I had a heel shift, tendon repair, and tendon transfer. The surgery was successful but the pain didn't even falter. (When I say pain, it was a constant ache with intensely sharp searing pains a few times each hour.) So finally, this past Wednesday, I had a third (and hopefully final) surgery. The doctor put a cadaver bone on the outside metatarsal of my foot (below my pinky toe). Then he fused my navicular cuneiform joint and cut a section out of the previously repaired tendon to tighted the loosening that had occurred. I was released from the hospital Thursday evening in bandages covering a split cast and told I am NWB six weeks then WB for six in a cast and WB for six in a walking boot. I had a nerve block and take home pump that wore off mid Friday.
Friday, and every day since, I've been experiencing the most bizarre and extremely painful sensation. Right where the surgeon cut to add the cadaver bone, it feels like my foot is wet. It gets extremely warm and wet feeling, then slowly cools. Is this a nerve thing, or could it possible one of my incisions is bleeding (if even a little bit)? It's an extremely painful feeling, so it worries me because the pain killers I'm taking don't even begin to take the edge off it. It puts me in tears for a long time. Is it just normal healing? Or what? I'm slightly scared. It may just be my age causing the fear (I just turned 17), but the pain is unbearable and it really does feel wet.

Last edited by ColorMeYellow; 08-23-2009 at 09:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Burning/Wet sensation after foot surgery?

First let me say I'm sorry you have been suffering. I had a wet sensation after my foot surgery a year ago. I had bunion surgery on either side of the right foot with osteotomies and temporary pins. My toes felt slightly numb and very wet for a few weeks, and I would reach down to feel them, the wet sensation was so real, but no pain. I would speak to your doctor about the pain.
I hope you have a successful recovery.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User
Re: Burning/Wet sensation after foot surgery?

You're 17? I'm so sorry you're having to go through this at such a young age. I definitely think your sensations are nerve related. I had foot surgery and year and a half ago and I had all sorts of crazy sensations including the feeling of water pouring on my foot. I also had sunburn-like burning, numbness, itching. Most of that resolved over about 6-9 months but I still have lasting effects from the surgery. I have one toe that is still completely numb and then I get these sensations like if you had really cold feet and then put them in hot water. I also sometimes feel like mosquitoes are biting my ankle! But I've learned to ignore it for the most part but it does get annoying. I'm lucky I don't have any pain - if you have extreme pain then you may ask your Dr. to prescribe one of these nerve pain medications like Lyrica. I do think the burning and weird wet feeling will go away after a few weeks - months but you don't want to suffer with shooting pain! I hope you will feel better soon!

Abby

Closed Thread