It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

meslinger HB User
Ankle Surgery...UGH

I am a 42 year old VERY active female. I am a personal trainer, hiker, biker, USTA tennis player. The doctors want to do the Bromstrom repair on my ankle, I am hesitant as I am worried it will never be the same. I am able to use my ankle, but it gets VERY sore for days after I play tennis. People tell me not to repair it until the ligament ruptures...I am unable to run now, I can work out as long as there isn't any running or sprinting. I have gone through therapy and it helped. It still gets really sore for days after. Advice? Will I be able to do the things I was able to do like run and play tennis again??

Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Ankle Surgery...UGH

Hey there,

I had a Brostrom along with a bunch of other things done in 2006. I went on to get my black belt in Tae Kwon Do, compete in the world championships for the SKIL/NBL circuit, and run again and comlete a few more endurance days for karate. So my advice is to do the surgery. THere was no way I could have done any of that with the pain and instability I was having before surgery.
A Brostrom is a common procedure with good results and you should have no problem getting back to your activities.
Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

meslinger HB User

Thanks Kris! I appreciate your response...most people aren't active so I cannot trust the reliability. If you went on to ski...that's all I needed to know!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I forgot to mention I'll be 41 in a little over a month.
As for skiing, no, but I live in SC and don't ski. I wouldn't ski anyway because my joints dislocate easily. I've had hip and shoulder problems with that, so skiing isn't something I'd do Brostrom or no Brostrom. If it weren't for my hips and shoulders, I'd probably try it though.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

tbellz0975 HB User

I have now had the Brostrum on both ankles and it has been a blessing in both cases. I no longer have the pain and crazy instability I had had for years. I got back into playing basketball and softball. I am an athletic trainer and walk on all sorts of surfaces and it has been the best thing for me because I am now stable. The recovery is a real pisser but not unmanageable.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

I am 39yr old male. When I was 34 had a brostrom. My ankle was really limiting me. Constant pain. Twisted it many times a year, etc. I am very glad I've had the surgery. It still hurts a lot, but less than before and I am no longer limited because my ankle is now VERY tight and VERY firm. I ski many times a year. Ran a marathon 2 years ago, did multiple 1/2 iron distance triathlons and many shorter ones. I hike. I run. I bike. Very glad I did it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Oh - one thing that my Dr. told me that was helpful in setting expectations: I asked him at a checkup shortly after the surgery "so, how long until I'll be back to normal?" he said "you'll never be 100% - but you should have a very serviceable 'new normal.'" That really helped. I am not 100%, but my "new normal" is really good and better than before the surgery.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

One more thing - while I started running about 6 weeks after getting my cast off and went skiing about 5 months after surgery, in retrospect, I wasn't really done healing for about 2 years.

Last edited by Bigdog Two; 08-30-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
(female)

meslinger HB User

Thanks so much! I am afraid of the "new normal"!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #9
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

[QUOTE=meslinger;4068259]Thanks so much! I am afraid of the "new normal"![/QUOTE]
In my situation, the new normal is MUCH better than than the old normal. Really, the thing to get past is electing to do surgery, experience the pain, be in a cast for six weeks or so, be on crutches, not be able to drive (for me anyway - it was my right ankle), endure physical therapy and recovery. While it is a pain in the *** while going thru it, I would say that it was definitely worth it.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
(male)

eischman HB User

[QUOTE=Bigdog Two;4067880]One more thing - while I started running about 6 weeks after getting my cast off and went skiing about 5 months after surgery, in retrospect, I wasn't really done healing for about 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Bigdog two...I just had the modified brostom and a bone fragment removed (talas) The pain was bad the first night but after 2 days no more pain meds. I am really interested in your recovery since I do off road triathalons (adventure races) I started to ride the extercise bike 2 days ago and everything feels pretty good. I am now (today) out of the boot in a lace up brace and can wait to get running and mountain biking agin. Any suggestions or advice. I have only been give the okay to walk, bike, and use the elliptical trainer. I definitely was planning on waiting a 2-3 weeks to try running and mnt biking.

Also you say it is not back to normal??? How many miles were you running and at what point? What kind of set backs did you have? How would you have prevented them had you known? I usually ran 4-6 miles 2/3 times a week and biked 60-200 miles (depending on road or mnt) a week. My goal is to be ready at the end of March for a 12hr race

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
(female)

sandyadams HB User

I would advise you to ask your doc if he has heard of PRP, platelet rich plasma. My ankle doc uses it quite frequently, even on myself. He has told me that he has some very good results with it, it's worth a try.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
(male)

eischman HB User

I was back to running after 2.5 month and did my first 24 hr adventure race after 5 month. Overall every thing feels fine I just occasionally get some light aches in the ankle area. I have rolled it since but not too bad. My biggest problem now is my left achilles at the insertion point in the heel (other foot) It started when I went for a trail run prior to the surjury and was favoring that ankle.

Oh well

Closed Thread