It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
(female)

bettyblackblack HB User
Exclamation Ankle sprain and calf pain< please help!

I sprained my left ankle pretty severely about 2 months ago (almost 2). I applied RICE that night and went to the Dr. the next morning for X-rays. Not broken, but sprained on both sides. I can partially walk now, though it still hurts and is stiff in the morning. The most painful is when I try to flex my foot all the way out (pointed down like a ballerina), particularly on the left side of my ankle. The weird thing is that when I do that and my ankle hurts, I also get some pain in my calf on the left side as well. And the more I walk, the more the calf starts to hurt. if i do nothing, it goes away. now that i spent all day walking, my whole leg hurts and when i flex my ankle or try the tip-toe exercises, my calf muscle hurts a lot. it's very frustrating and i don't know what to do. i have tried epsom salts and creams, even bromelain. i know i don't have a high ankle sprain or anything too serious, the bruising had gone down after a week of spraining. swelling is still there but minor.

Is this normal when healing from a sprain? i havent been doing too many exercises in the past two months because of the pain, everytime i try to exercise or walk, my legs hurt and i get these dull aches. could this be something serious, what should i do? i have been following ankle strengthening exercises, i have never had a sprain before so it's really worrying me, i would like to walk again! the less my ankle hurts, something else starts to hurt - my calves especially. sometimes the muscle is tender to the touch, like when i press down on it but there is no bruising or swelling in my calf muscles. any help or similar stories/recovery rate, etc would be sooooo appreciated to calm me down!

ps what kind of sprain could it be if pointing my foot forwards causes the most pain? thank you thank you! i should probably add that when i start walking right away, i get a similar pain in my calf like a charlie horse that you get in the middle of the night. i stretch it out and it seems to go away for a little bit but the pain is still there though not as tight. when i wasn't doing anything for 3 days, the calf pain disappeared alongside the tender muscle, but as soon as i did some walking today it came back all over again. i've been stretching and i sit a lot.

Last edited by bettyblackblack; 08-25-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User
Re: Ankle sprain and calf pain< please help!

Hey Betty,

I would just give it more time. My sister had a severe ankle sprain and it took her months to get over it. When you tear ligaments and such, they scar down in weird ways and can affect your range of motion. When you walk differently, then it starts making other body parts sore because you're using your muscles differently. Maybe that's why your calf hurts. I had a bad ankle injury and now that I'm healed up my achilles on my good leg gets sore after activity. I swear I'm walking normally but somehow I'm compensating for the bad foot. My foot surgery took away my ability to point my toe down all the way and activity makes me feel like I have shin splints sometimes. Don't push it too hard and let it heal a few more months. Then if it isn't better I would go see the Dr. again.

Abby

Closed Thread