It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

ggola HB User
Achilles weakness

It's been a while since I have posted. I had my (most) hardware removed on July 29th. My Dr. lengthened my Achilles at the same time. I'm now having problems getting it to strengthen. Any tips out there?

Old 08-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Re: Achilles weekness

I just had my calf lengthened a few weeks ago. The doctor wants me stretching and doing raises for now. I am able to bike on a stationary bike but have limited strength and rom but it'll get better.
Place both hands on wall with arms extended. Lean against wall with one leg bent forward and other leg extended back (ur affected leg) with knee straight and foot positioned directly forward. Try and push the heel of your back leg to the ground. To feel the stretch more, move your leg farther back. You can also do this with both legs slightly bent. Also, just raising up on your toes will help. Brace against the wall if you need to. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

I hear you on trying to get it strengthened. I'm 2 months out from my pins out and still having trouble getting it strengthened. It still really tight. The wall stretch is good, stepping on a angled board is another one. It takes alot of time. Keep working at it.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

ggola HB User

My Dr. wants me to do one legged standing calf raises. I know he was exaggerating when he said "100 per day" At least I hope that he was exaggerating. I can't even do one. I can stand on one leg for about 30 seconds and my PT has me doing "go downs" on the stairs. I can feel the stretch but as soon as I'm finished my Achilles shrinks back up in a very painful cramp. I'm still working on it. This has been the longest healing process. Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Achilles weakness

How do you know when your achillies is short or long. After my calcaneous fracture, my achilles has been a weak spot. I can push off when walking, but I can't do a single calf raise.

I do 50 with the good calf, to tire it out, and then do both calves, trying to put more work on the bad one. 6 months wb, and hasn't gotten alot better. Calf has grown to a fair size.

Closed Thread