It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

MaeRunner HB User
PTTD Double surgery in a 17 year old?

Hi I'm 17 years old and developed PTTD while running (Long distance runner since I was 12) in both ankles because of my pronation. It's not torn, but the ankle surgeon said I have 2 months to see if improved orthotics can heal it. If not, I need surgery.
The problem is I'm going far away (15 hrs) for college next August so I really won't be able to do the second ankle. Would it be possible for them to operate on both ankles at once?
Has anyone had this done?

Last edited by MaeRunner; 09-02-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User
Re: PTTD Double surgery in a 17 year old?

Do not, I repeat, do not do two ankles at once. You will be wheelchair bound for months on end. This surgery -- at least PTTD reconstructive surgery, which most of us posters have had -- makes for a long recovery. One foot is more than enough to do at one time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
(female)

yaohua HB User

Wounded Foot is right! Do NOT do both ankles at one time. It was so difficult to go to bathroom and take shower with one non bearing ankle. I can't imaging to have both feet not available to you.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
(female)

MaeRunner HB User

Yah you're right... I just can't imagine recovering from one major surgery just to go right into annother.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaohua View Post
Wounded Foot is right! Do NOT do both ankles at one time. It was so difficult to go to bathroom and take shower with one non bearing ankle. I can't imaging to have both feet not available to you.
After my one foot was done, I didn't take a shower for three weeks, literally! Then when I went to take my first shower it literally took my husband and me almost half an hour to get me into the shower and situated. Protecting my foot from getting wet and stopping my entire body from falling (difficult to do when you're balanced on one foot, the shower tiles are slippery and there are ledges to "hop" over) was exceedingly difficult. Forget it w/ two feet operated on. You wouldn't see the inside of a shower for 5 months!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

rose815 HB User

I agree with Woundedfoot...I didnt take a shower unless there was someone there to help me in.. I took sponge baths... and stood at the kitchen sink balancing on one leg to wash my hair. I did find this neat cast protector that is really water proof and actually worked. My cast never got wet when in the shower. But realistically, I don't know how you'd manage by yourself if you got both ankles done at once.
Rose

Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Actually, MaeRunner, I would run not walk away from any surgeon who would AGREE to do both feet at once. I really doubt any reputable doctor would do that. You really need the "good" foot to help rehab the reconstructed one. I'm thinking it would make your recovery twice as long, not to mention twice as difficult. Full recovery is estimated at one year. Some younger people have had faster recoveries but they are the exception, not the norm. You may be recovered enough at 6 months to do the second foot but most doctors prefer a year in between.

Like I said, some on here have done two feet within a year and managed fairly well. I have never heard of anyone having both done at once, though. Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

emmie

Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Do not take two at a time! Bad...learning how to walk after atrophy will crush your spirit. I frown at this! I did just take a odd half shower, my mom bought me a spray that cleaned my skin. So look into that. It was also a leave in shampoo. I did not realize you were 15 hours away in my last post but that's gonna be tricky. You need to have their phone numbers and if anything happens you may have to go see your doctor. You'll also need to keep in mind physical therapy down the road to recovery. I got a heel ulceration and I've been seeing my doc every week. I'm only a half hour a way so I'm packing up an overnight bag cause it's before I start my first day of the semester. Usually I see them 2 weeks post op and again at 6-8 weeks but they want to keep an eye on my healing. Then I start physical therapy twice a week so maybe ask if there's a college hospital or someone they can refer nearby. It's a lot of thinking, but I believe it could be doable.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

I totally agree w/ emmie54, no reputable doctor would even consider doing two feet at once. The only way to do two feet at once would be to take up residence in a nursing home for 6 to 12 months. I'm completely serious.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

How did you get the heel ulceration, WorldWalker? Was it some kind of pressure sore? I was really afraid of getting one during the two weeks after my surgery because it was the pressure points (wherever my foot was resting) that was giving me so much pain a week or two out of the surgery.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

Ah, those dreaded pressure points. I SO remember that pain. I remember I finally laid on my stomach with my knee bent and my foot straight up behind me propped up with pillows so I would have NO pressure anywhere. It was such relief. Of course you can't lay like that for long!

Last edited by emmie54; 09-08-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User
Wink Re: PTTD Double surgery in a 17 year old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
Ah, those dreaded pressure points. I SO remember that pain. I remember I finally laid on my stomach with my knee bent and my foot straight up behind me propped up with pillows so I would have NO pressure anywhere. It was such relief. Of course you can't lay like that for long!
Especially if you have a bad back like mine. I can no longer lie on my stomach period, and I'm only 47...

Old 09-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Really? I've been laying like that about 30 minutes and I wiggled my leg side to side cause it helps with my sore knee in regards to the knee scooter use being x1000 more active with school.
Wounded I did get it from putting pressure on my heel within the first two weeks. It was just a black quarter sized dot and I was on antibiotics for two weeks and Weekly changing of the cast just to peek at it. I rested it on a knee wedge which was a tough surface and I guess it happened because I was trying so hard to get comfortable. I miss sleeping on my right side normally.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
(female)

Wounded Foot HB User

Wow. A black dot the size of a quarter. That's really scary. It sounds like you're getting around a school really well and that's something to be mighty proud of!

Closed Thread