It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

RFF HB User
Plantar fasciitis?

Was wondering if anyone knows how they diagnose plantar fasciitis. Dr. says I have it, but is basing this simply on my symptoms, no tests etc. Is this normal? Also Dr. wants to give me a corticosteroid injection in the heel. I have heard mixed reports about pain, effectivness, side effects, etc. Anyone had the injection in the heel and how was it, did it help?

Thanks!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Re: Plantar fasciitis?

Plantar fasciitis is really common, so a lot of doctors diagnose it just based on a description of the symptoms. It can also be diagnosed by sensitivity over the arch, lack of an arch, pain when standing after rest, heel pain, cramping in the arch, etc. Description of the symptoms is the best way for them to diagnose it, as there may not actually be a measurable problem. MRIs could show issues with the plantar fascia such as thickening, tears, etc... but usually an MRI isn't necessary.

With that diagnosis, I would first begin conservative treatments. Orthotics, stretching, physical therapy, deep tissue foot massages, night splints, etc. Some doctors even suggest a walking boot first to relieve the initial pain. I had a cortizone shot when I was 13 because I was an athlete and couldn't take time off, and it helped for a short amount of time, but I wouldnt recommend doing it. First off it would only mask the pain which would likely cause it to get worse, and secondly, cortizone shots for PF can make you more prone to tearing your posterior tibial tendon.

Depending on how bad it is, you can find a lot of information on these boards and the internet for treatments you can do on your own that should help some. If those don't work, I would see another doctor. I wouldn't jump right to injections as a first treatment option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Well...I had developed a heel spur as a result of my untreated PF, so a simple x-ray was able to pick up the heel spur...so I guess you could say that is how I was diagnosed, since heel spurs are usually caused by PF...or so I was told.

I did have the cortisone injection in the heel. I won't lie, it was painful...and unfortunately, didn't help all that much. I'd say it felt marginally better for about a week or so...then as soon as I tried running again, the pain was back instantly. Overall, I don't think it was worth it. But your results may vary. I know of a few people who had the shot, and wound up having great results.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

RFF HB User

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I used the splint, did stretches which do help, have a wonderful hubby that massages my feet ( I have it badly in both) and although some people advice not to get the injections I actually had both feet done today. I get wonderful relief most of the time that last months, my pod wont do too many in a year but for me they work. Do try everything else first, they are uncomfortable, it burns like fire for a few minutes and can be painful for a coulpe days after. Read up on treatments and find what works for you. Wish you luck!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
(female)

aed2113 HB User

apparently plantar fasciitis is one of those umbrella diagnosis that doctors kind of throw at general arch pain. I was miss-diagnosed with it for years and never understood why they said I had it when the symptoms I had never really matched the ones I saw in all the readings I looked at. I think i was too young for them to believe me when I said it didn't seem right but that for sure wasn't it and I'm positive about it now because I have developed it a little bit because of the other problems but basically I'm saying make sure you read as much as you can about it and if your symptoms don't seem to match I would ask for more from your doctor.

Closed Thread