It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

MaeRunner HB User
PTTD Surgery, one right after annother?

Hey I have a timeline question... I would need both ankles done, and the first would be probably in Nov/Dec... how soon could the second ankle be done? I would be leaving for my freshmen year of College in Aug, so this all seems so overwhelming and limiting.

Anyone have experience with PTTD surgery and living away from home/the surgeon/ regular Dr and PT??

Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
(female)

rose815 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery, one right after annother?

Hi, I was off work from April until September. I just went back to work last week, as I'm a teacher. I was on my feet doing the most walking I've done for the past 6 months. I had a lot of pain but I made it through. Your young though and will probably do okay.. I might invest in a knee walker to get across campus though.. crutches are a pain. I also have had PT for the past 3 months so it just depends on your healing rate. Are you having surgery at college or when your home? I was down for the 1st 2 weeks and only got out of bed to go to the bathroom and get something to eat. My husband only took off 3 days so I was on my own after that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Rose

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

MaeRunner,
WorldWalker just had her second foot done and she's in a very similar situation to you - she's young and in college. It's been a little tough on her (you should pm her), but I think her youth has helped. I'm six months out and there is NO WAY I could do my other foot right now. I'm old and chubby, so that doesn't help me at all.
I would think if you get the first foot done in early December you could have the second one done by May and be okay for school in August. You could probably even stretch it out to June and still be okay. There are some fabulous toys out there that help you to get around easier and you can check them out. One is a knee walker, it's like a scooter that you rest your bad knee on, then zip around. Then there's the old standby, the wheelchair. Crutches, a walker, these will all help you get where you need to be.
Start planning now for what you'll need after the surgery - things like bars for your toilet are a must, but we don't really think about it until we absolutely need it. There are several posts on here about what people found helpful to have before the surgery for after the surgery. Trust me, when you get home, you don't want to be getting things together! You just want to lie peacefully in a quiet room with your happy pain meds. Okay, so maybe that was just me. I like quiet because I so rarely have it.
I can't believe you have to have this surgery - you're so young! Best of luck to you and we're always here if you need us.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
(female)

MaeRunner HB User

Thanks for the help guys! The doc actually immobilized my ankle in June to try to heal it nonsurgically, so I was NWB in a cast for 5 weeks. I had a knee scooter that looked like this: * disallowed website information removed by hb-mod, moderator * , plus we got a shower chair and a rolling chair (for cooking on my knees...) so I'm pretty prepared as far as the cast goes.

I don't know what to do about the second surgery in the spring though... I don't want to wait until summer but if I got it gone in the spring, I miss my senior trip, the prom, and have to graduate on crutches. bummer.

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-07-2009 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed website information, thanks.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Goodness, I go away to sort things out for college and of course you guys miss me! I've got a lot to say about college and recovery and surgery. I'm a week short of being 7 months post op on the left foot and almost one month post op from my right one. I'm 21, healthy with average weight. I just disappeared to move close to campus because I found a 2 hour commute from being so slow and unreliable rides would kill me the second time around. My first surgery was in Feb and I used crutches (The Forearm kind) and they were great but in comparison to a knee scooter very tiring. If your on birth control its good to make sure you move around to prevent blood clots and stretch as best possible and going to classes really helped that. My doctor pointed out with youth healing works well. I had my second surgery 6 months post op because I felt steady enough but at 4 it was still iffy and 5 I wasn't ready to give up my summer but almost walking. (No running, jumping or Cartwheels! Long story...Long long drunken story..ok kinda short but it was a drag!) Insist that disability services help you even if it seems temporary full activity of the leg is 10 to 12 months and when you're doing two you'll want their support. The college might have a bus system that can help you get around. Or disability find housing that will be handicap friendly for the time being. Winter and crutches...not my most fun moment. See if you can pocket some salt and map out where it's icy and people slip on your class route. Not a problem but an idea. Main worry is when you come in from the rain or snow your rubber crutch end will forget the idea of friction. I've only taken my knee scooter out on campus once and my knee ached at the end, give yourself breaks and be careful about putting too much weight on it.

I'm a little lost on if you're a senior starting college this fall or senior with college next fall, but missing prom, graduation and trip...that's tough. I wasn't a fan of high school but I can imagine the support my true friends have given me from this made the bitter part of feeling limited better. Also you could use a knee walker for those things if you chose to have surgery before. I used to do cardio kickboxing somehow on it so maybe the idea of dance...? You could do the first one and feel it out. There's no rush and don't push yourself too ahrd. Being young and suddenly stuck not moving around can be tempting to try and recover faster. We heal when we do and this is a big deal. It wasn't too brutal to do again knowing what to expect.

I'm a lil all over the place but feel free to PM me and I'm willing to help you out and figure out what to expect.

Closed Thread