It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
(male)

dingeau HB User
Calcaneal fracture and foot discoloration?

Hi,

I'm 58, and fell about 6 feet from a ladder to my driveway and fractured my right heel on July 18, had an ORIF (plate + screws, cadaver graft) procedure on the 28th, and have been wearing a removable boot cast since August 14. I'm on crutches, doing PT 1x/wk, with a home regimen 2x/day until I can do weight-bearing.

My question is about discoloration of my foot when my leg is lowered. It quickly turns a dark reddish color that quickly returns to near normal (there is still some fading bruises) when horizontal or elevated. Is this normal?

-mike-

Last edited by dingeau; 09-04-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: header needs info, added information

The following user gives a hug of support to dingeau:
Shattered calc (10-29-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
Re: Calcaneal fracture and foot discoloration?

Yes Mike,
Quite normal and will improve slowly over time. no need to worry.

Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
(female)

starry13 HB User

Ta for that....I wondered why I had two different coloured feet when I got up...I broke mine on 3rd Aug. but luckily just one clean fracture on the inside of my heel which doesn't need surgery, but also broke my fibula. I'm so glad I found this forum!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
(male)

dingeau HB User

Thanks, Tim & Starry, for your quick responses. I've learned a lot from perusing the heel fracture threads, and am much more optimistic about my prognosis. It's a journey...

-mike-

Old 09-15-2009, 04:21 AM   #5
(female)

starry13 HB User
Wink Re: Calcaneal fracture and foot discoloration?

Great news..saw the ortho. surgeon yesterday and I'm allowed to walk again and put weight on the heel. It's so good to be able to take a few steps without crutches or walker. Can't go too far without them but I'm getting there. I was a lot luckier than most of you in that the fibula fracture has healed and I had just one fracture in the calcaneous, which is healing well. I have to have a Dexi-scan to to check that there are no underlying reasons for the fractures, but since I had one just two years ago and don't have osteoporosis, I'm not expecting bad results. Wishing you all well and on your feet soon. Best. M.

Last edited by starry13; 09-15-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Mine did it. Once you start using it more, it may go away. My doc told me to get a compression sock, when I started walking.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

Shattered calc HB User

I shattered my left heel had the same thing 6 screws a plate cadaver bone it all... Your recovery story is very encouraging! It's been almost 3 weeks since surgery and I'm still in bed. I want nothing more to get on crutches but I'm really scared. As soon as my foot goes down It turns bright purple... Than I'm in some pretty serious pain... Should I just try to by pass the pain or should I wait. When were you able to do normal life with your crutches?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Takes 12-18 months to heal as good as you get. Around 10 months, I think it started getting better. You got a long way to go. Just got to wait it out.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Thank God for this message board! I am 8 weeks post calcaneus fracture (shattered), non surgical treatment. I too have noticed the purple foot when in any position but lying in bed or elevated. So glad to know it is normal There is such a gap between appointments with my OS that as things happen you may have to wait weeks to ask questions. Next appointment is this thurs so looking forward to asking lots of questions armed with new knowledge.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 AM   #10
(female)

starry13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered calc View Post
I shattered my left heel had the same thing 6 screws a plate cadaver bone it all... Your recovery story is very encouraging! It's been almost 3 weeks since surgery and I'm still in bed. I want nothing more to get on crutches but I'm really scared. As soon as my foot goes down It turns bright purple... Than I'm in some pretty serious pain... Should I just try to by pass the pain or should I wait. When were you able to do normal life with your crutches?
Bear with it, been there..done that...missed the surgery but also broke my fibula as well as my calcaneous..my granddaughter used to think I had the most wonderful leg, apart from the bruises of all shades, when i put my foot down, it turned the most gorgeous shade of purple, and the pain was bad. But that is all part of the whole thing of healing. I couldn't wait to get out of the bed and to move around, but I was warned that if I did, I risked having to have an op. The worse part is being confined to one space and depending on everyone to do everything for you, and too much time to think about what you could be doing. When I was on my own, I used to sneak out of the bed, and go around on my hands and knees, I felt that way, I couldn't fall again. I ended up with calouses on my knuckles!!!! I was VERY nervous of crutches, but got around that by hiring a wheelchair for six weeks or so, and using a zimmer frame, with the frame,you can stop and have a little rest and get your breath back,felt more confident than depending on the crutches. It's been just over a year since my accident and I don't know I broke anything, no limp, no after pain, and I'm 69 years old. I drove my car after 8 weeks, but not recommended, as I didn't realise that because I hadn't been ok'd by Doctor, my insurance wasn't in place. But, like you, I was desperate to get moving again and get my life back. When you come to physio time, do it faithfully, its worth it, though it hurts. Doc reckons that because I followed it faithfully, that's the reason everything healed up so well. Just bear with it, the pain and discolouration is part of the calcaneous injury, blood going back down to injured nerves and tissue, and does go away in time. Keep your chin up (and your leg) and I wish you healed up, and back on your feet again very soon. Mairead X

Old 10-13-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
(male)

geisty64 HB User

I was hit head on in 1987 on my motorcycle and shattered my left calcaneus. After 3 years and 2 surgeries they finally did a triple arthrodesis they fused my foot and put 3 pins in it. It took about 6 years to heal all together. It acts up once in awhile But now I got run over on 6/23/2010 by a skid loader and had my right calcaneus fractured. Ihis injury they made me lay in bed for a month so the swelling would go down then they did surgery installing a plate with 8 screws and 1 screw behind my big toe. It is now 10/12/10 and I just started putting weight on it and the corner of the plate feels like its sticking out and I have one screw buldging threw the skin. My foot gets real cold at night and still burns from the nerve damage. I can't keep my foot down for more than 15 minutes before it starts swelling and thumping plus turning purple I hope it gets better. I know It takes time but I think I want this hardware out ASAP. Thanks for hearing me out. Geisty

Closed Thread