It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

jesse35068 HB User
i need info about a Calcanues Fuse(recovery period-amount of pain-is/was it worth it)

so i fell off a roof from about 25-30ft. up and landed with all my weight on my left heel. that was 2 months ago. the doc has me comming in in 2 weeks for CT scans to see if one major fracture has unioned with the rest of the bone. I guess what im wanting to know is= how long is the recovery period and will i ever be 100% again or walk normally?

Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
(male)

movado HB User
Re: i need info about a Calcanues Fuse(recovery period-amount of pain-is/was it worth

Did you shatter both heels or just one. I did both in a high impact skiing accident and have so much pain I can barley walk or stand for more than 5 minutes.

I need to have both fused together soon, but the ecomomy is not allowing me to.

I'm about 20 months post surgery.

Miles

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
Re: i need info about a Calcanues Fuse(recovery period-amount of pain-is/was it worth

Jesse,

Miles is at one end of the spectrum (and I wish I knew a solution for him). On the other end I saw one ski instructor ready for the next season. Only your doc will know your outlook and probably not clearly this early on. He will be basing his judgment on your films and what you report to him. So, list your observations, questions and concerns - Write Them Down - and be ready to cover them at each appointment. Just for reference, with this injury the median time to feel that you've 'turned the corner' is at about a year. Much patience will be in order.

Tim

Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
(male)

jesse35068 HB User

thank you for the response! i know its only been 2 months but it seems like 2 years!!

Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
(female)

desross4 HB User

Jesse:

I had a subtalor-calcaneus (primary) fusion on my right foot 7 months ago. I've just been released to come back in 2-3 mos to see how I'm doing. It was 2 months nonWBing for me until the fusion (post auto accident) and then another 2 mos nonWBing after the fusion. It took about another month of partial & 100% WBing with crutches, then another 2 months of physical therapy. I had the screws removed 3 wks ago to help with my range of motion and make it easier to do PT. I can walk, albeit with a limp initially after sitting a while. I had bone loss, too, and a tibia bone graft but there is still some differential between my two heels. I also have custom orthotics and rocker soles added to my post surgery shoes. It was recommended that I add rocker soles to all my new shoes. It helps with the limp and to lessen the pressure on the heel strike. I'm now 7 months out and doing most of my normal activities. I started back with my normal workout routine although pretty low impact. Still doing some PT on my ROM (range of motion) to try to improve my plantarflexion. My dorsiflexion is pretty normal and eversion is much better. Inversion is something I'm still working on. You will lose some side to side mobility with a fusion, but if it's necessary for you, it's already gone anyway. I've been told I won't be 100% and will have a limp, but I haven't given up on those possibilities yet. Hope this helps you!

desross4

Closed Thread