It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

Rick2012 HB User
Another one.. Fractured Calcaneus, questions

Hi, I fractured my heel bone jumping off a 10ft wall 3 weeks ago, I was told it was a fracture and wasn't given the option of surgery or anything, the doctor told me I'd have pain in my foot for the rest of my life.. (cheers doc) and sent me away in a cast for 4 weeks; I can stand on both feet with the cast on with full pressure without any pain at all, wiggle my toes without any pain and move my foot around in the cast (with minimal pain), I didn't take pain-killers bar the first few days after after that it was fine bar I tried to over-do it by trying to walk 10 days in.... not a good idea.

I was just wondering if this is normal? Has anyone fractured there Calcaneus and not experienced much pain at all? I've been reading alot of threads on here about all the severe/chronic pain some recieved.

I don't know wether to be optimistic about my x-ray in a week .

Anyways thanks for reading .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

Fatso1 HB User
Re: Another one.. Fractured Calcaneus, questions

My friend fell and shattered both heels May of 2008. He did not have surgery. Today he is walking, golfing, riding a bike, ect. His heels do not hurt anymore. He can wear the same shoes he wore prior to the accident, although his dress shoes hurt the back of his heel. I know he took a LOT of pain medicine the first few months. Also, I don't think his heels look the same as the did before though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Rick,

Your post mirrors those of the few who sailed through this injury. Pain levels and mobility early on seem to be very good indicators of what's to come. I'm surely no doc but I don't see the reason for his pessimistic outlook. It would be a good idea to ask him if he's giving you the general talk or can point to specifics.

In the mean time don't do anything foolish such as weight bearing without his approval! He's the one trained to deal with this injury.

As far as the posts go you'll see the same sort of thing with weather, marriages, you name it. Just because you don't see many posts about things going smoothly doesn't mean it seldom does.

Tim

Old 09-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

Thanks for the advise and good replies, pretty optimistic now, hopefully I can get through this with no complications; I'll update this in a week .

Old 09-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

Just tried walking again (I know I shouldn't but curiousity..)

No pain whatsoever, 80 percent my own weight with guided help with crutches, another two days to go 'til i visit the doc and I couldn't be more optimistic.

Just shows these injuries (for a certain few) can be overcome.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

I went to the Doc today and I got my cast off, he told me he wanted me applying pressure on it for the next 3 weeks then to be walking completely fine in 4, no pain whatsoever bar motion in the joints which is expected, said I'd make a complete recovery.

I am over the moon.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Rick2012 - Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

I have been doing some really good physio the past couple of days and the swelling has gone right down almost to what my left foot is, I tried walking last week (which was successful) but way too early and kind of knocked on a couple of days of healing time.

Word of advise patience is definitely the key with this injury, I'm one of the lucky ones (heal time wise 8 weeks) and shouldn't be trying to walk so quickly, it's a gradual process as I have learned over the past 5 weeks.

Anyway good progress so far .

Old 09-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Rick,

Congrats. That's good advice. Using the foot does actually alleviate some of its problems such as swelling. But don't rest on your laurels. Make sure to use that foot to stoop, turn corners go up and down inclines. With this injury both complaining about complications or slow progress and bragging about progress are well justified.

Tim

Old 09-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
(female)

nogoatcheese HB User

Rick,

I fractured my calcaneus two weeks ago and am in plaster up to knee - going back for review in a few days. I have had no pain at all - the odd ache thats it - so I would be really curious to know if your doc considers the lack of pain to be an indicator of good recovery or just a stroke of luck. I fell down stairs

Last edited by nogoatcheese; 09-26-2009 at 07:57 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

You'll be suprized, when I had the cast on I had no pain really bar the first few days, I thought the doctor had made a mistake but you'll probably see the swelling and bruising when the cast is off and it's out of the cast, my joints were very painful and I was warey that it was worse than it was.. my doc said I was very lucky and it was healing fine and that he expected me to be 100% with daily physio and resting, with spirts of gradual pressure exercise.

Not to take anything away from you being optimistic though, as tchart pointed out early pain levels indicate what's to come, everyone is different really.

I have been using a foot spa, batheing with salt water while doing physio exercise and I can see the difference already, swelling wise, I can walk now with pain obviously but the pain is less and less each day.

Also he said if you're quite young the chances of getting through this injury quickly maximizes greatly..

I've got 2 and a half weeks before I'm supposed to lose the crutches which will be abit apprehensive but the physio is doing it the world of good.

Good luck!

(read tcharts posts in this thread, they have helped me alot.)

Last edited by Rick2012; 09-26-2009 at 06:04 PM.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
(male)

movado HB User

I shattered both of them in a high impact skiing accident/gap jump. I'm about 21 months post surgery.

Severe pain and cronic pain. I can't stand or walk for more than 10 minutes with out looking for a place to sit down. I have not run or jumped for 21 months, and don't see it in my future ever.

Last winter was the worst winter when it got cold out, I got these severe rolling pain that went from 0 to 10 in a milli-second. It would put me on my knees sometimes.

Still take some pain meds when it is bad sometimes, but I'm due to have a Bi-Lateral Sub-Talar Fusion this winter which will put me out for around 6 months total recovery...

Like everyone preaches everyone is different I just happened to be the one who got all the complications, but thats what happens when you push the limits.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
(female)

nogoatcheese HB User
Smile Re: Another one.. Fractured Calcaneus, questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick2012 View Post
Elevation.. as much as your doctor tells you to really, it's perfectly normal for it to be hot (and red) while in the cast; just try and take it easy, it can be a short or long process depending of which you treat it, don't try and do too much too soon (as I have learned).

Everyone is different, I had my cast on for four weeks, I'm now 5 weeks and 6 days into breaking it and I am walking around with hardly any pain (not advised for another 2 weeks) I still use crutches as the doctor advised but I'm speeding up the process with daily physio, batheing in salt water and spa's.

The swelling is almost gone and it is starting to gain strength again.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and it's not always that you hear people with chronic pain, but I really do feel for those.

Good luck Pas anyway and be sure to update us .
Rick,

thanks for your update. Good news - went to orthopedic surgeon and had xray he says it is mending as it should. Bit of bone off cuboid but it is making its way back and he reckons surgery could do more harm than good (thats sure ok with me).

He thinks he will take off plaster in 4 weeks and then I will start to weight bear (thats 6 weeks from injury). Long term he said I should be able to do all the things I did before injury and although maybe longterm degenerative issues (I assume arthritis or such like is possible) all good and going the right way

I will be following your lead and having PT and salt baths when cast off.

Also thinking of accupunture - anyone out there tried it with good results?

Closed Thread