It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

lourash HB User
bunion & nerve damage , problems after cheilectomy

I posted yesterday after my husbands doc appt. He showed me the bill from the doc and it reads halux valgus and halux rigidus . Plus he told him either the tarsal tunnel is back or he has nerve damage from the cheilectomy. He sure did not have a bunion before the operation but he sure does now. Its right by the toe the bone spur was removed from in December. he had tarsal tunnel release at the same time. The doc said something about fusing or replacing the joint of the big toe , since this surgery did not work. I cannot believe that last doc did not fix it right!!! It has only been 8 months! Anyone else have this happen to them this quick after surgery or have a bunion and bone spur and nerve damage?? He goes back next week to see what they are going to do next.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: bunion & nerve damage , problems after cheilectomy

Gosh! Wish you had put this with the previous thread as I have gone back and forth and back and forth trying to get caught up on what's going on!

Anyway, what kind of doc is he seeing now? ortho - pod - what? Assuming that it is a sports med ortho with a specialty in feet (as that's the only type he should be seeing - and we could probably give you some names if we knew where you were), I will say that they never do a fusion unless that was agreed to up front. Without seeing how much joint damage there was, it's hard to say if the first doc should have realized the extent of the injury to begin with. I know nothing about tarsal tunnel but I did have hallux limitus and have had a cheilectomy - a very successfull one at that. The toe should have beed straight afterwards as the cheilectomy does not move the bones like a bunionectomy does. It only cleans the chips and/or spurs out of the joint. And yes, it can deteriorate after the procedure. I myself probably face a fusion down the road as I continue to jog and wear heels. but that's probably a lot of years away...and Iplan to live a long time! Fusion is the next step after a cheilectomy when that is no longer working.

Let us know what the new doc says after his next appointment. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread