It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Calcaneus injury and work boots

Six months ago was in a car wreck, shattered my calcaneus and talus on one side and broke my femur on the other, along with 12 broken ribs.

Out of the injuries, the heel is taking longest to heal. They were not able to operate due to swelling. Did 6 weeks of whirlpool, and 12 weeks NWB on heel side. Hasnít been awful pain. Was stumbling around on day 3, after a few cocktails. Less then four months from accident, I was riding my motorcycle.

Never did surgery. Which I wonder about, if they wanted to do it, but couldnít due to swelling, wasnít it the thing to do? Doc says they might based on pain. Was curious how many people go without surgery.

I need steel toe boots for work. I have heard that Dr Martens are wider. Any recommendations for boots? Footwear in general?

I got a orthodic and I am wearing New Balance 845 in 4E. The orthodic sure donít feel all that good. Does it take time? I am limiting the hours per day, but its been two weeks.

Achilles area seems to be one of the problems, not that the rest is great. I been doing stretches.

I know I probably should not put to much in footwear, but got to wear something. I am wearing old tennis shoes around the house, laced loose for on and off. I am wearing Danner Strikers on my bike, sorta like a military boot. Might need something else or to get them modified. Bother me in the achilles area. Though better since I took the heel cup out. Someone said maybe the stiching on the side could be let out.

Was wondering what people are seeing as far change in shoe size? Like I said I wearing some old stuff with laces open, size D, but bought some stuff 4E and Ĺ size bigger.

Lots of rambling, any random thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Zerk; 09-10-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calcaneus injury and work boots

One thing that helped me was good socks. I started out plain old socks, and probably holding myself back. I've tried some boot socks and hiking socks. Want to try some wool and Wigwams next.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

No one has worn steel toe boots after fracturing there heel? If so which ones?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Zerk,

The vast majority of Heelies go for very loose footwear for the first year. Even after that most have to go for certain features that they can live with. For me it's a flexible sole with stiff uppers. For some it's the opposite for either or both. Some always have sore spots that they have to accommodate.

The rule of thumb is what you wear in the first year might only be transitional so don't spend a lot or get despondent about the future at that stage. Do evaluate what works best for you and try on numerous pairs before buying.

Many Heelies in construction are back in boots. I have worn steel toe shoes (not boots). But the rule that should apply is that with a good brand the toes don't make a difference. I could always tell poor construction or where they just shove the steel into a regular shoe, both of which spell trouble. I hated a lot of steel toe shoes even before breaking my heel. My best shoes were Florsheim, but there are many good brands to try to. And you really do have to invest the time as your foot will have its own needs. There are a lot of models of steel toe sneakers if you can get by with them temporarily. As far as modifications: absolutely. Make your foot/your work, your day as comfortable as possible.

Tim

Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Ya I've thought about what I buy now, might not be right next year, and to not spend alot of money. But next year is a long time from now too.

Doc Martens have a wider toe, then most work boots. Actually wider all the way through. So I might try a pair on. Steel toes have never bothered me, been wearing them for years, don't even notice the diffrence. Except when its cold. But I am gonna try to find a pair of composite toes.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Picked up a pair of Red Wing King Toes tonight. They have a wider toe. The ee fit my orthodic insert. I haven't worn them enough to say how good they are, so will let you know.

Toes seem to be an issue with me now. I am getting claw toes,plus I think my foot is getting pushed forward. Either way I wanted more room in the toes.

There are also composite toes, not steel, which will help. I noticed riding my motorcycle in this cool weather, my toes on the broken foot get cold. The rod in my other leg seems ok.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User

Zerk,

Back when I did a lot of skiing my toes got cold so I came up with a system. I made wiggling my toes to momentarily loosen restrictions and increase the circulation demand part of the routine. So anytime I came out of a turn to a straight run I would: lean, pole, straighten, then wiggle toes. For you it would be clutch out shift, clutch in, throttle, wiggle toes. Or of course you could have an aunt knit you some boot covers in festive colors. Six months is still early for circulation and swelling. Take a look at the tendons on the top of both feet. I think you will see the non-injured one's are more prominent. So there's still residual swelling inside and out. You have to overwork that leg until it is normal.

The claw toes I don't like. It takes a while for any of us to get the toes to move and improves incrementally. But hose mentioning 'claw toes' often report getting progressively worse. They have not related what the long term outcomes were. So whether time, exercise, orthotics, or surgical intervention is the answer I don't know. I would recommend that you bring it to the attention of your doctor, get a full explanation of the possible causes, outcomes and remedies. Then of course keep us appraised so those in the future have more information available.

Tim

Old 10-31-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I've got a little more movement in my toes. Been stretching them back. Now I am trying to straighten them, by pushing on the base on the top, and pulling up on the end. I think I was supposed to do that all along. it does bother me when walking at times.

Both docs I mentioned it to, were like ya that happens. One mentioned cutting the tendons. I don't know if that would cause me to lose control of them.

I am about 7.5 months since the accident. Swelling doesn't seem bad. When I saw the doc, I asked him what my foot will look like. he said pretty much the way it does. Its pretty hard. Square and blocky in the back.

I'll people know how these boots work. I like the roomier toes on them.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Since I like to wear my boots loose now, eyelets for the laces may be better then hooks. I got hooks, and they do come unlaced.

Also try lacing vertical on the ankle/leg part and then cris cross at the top, when tieing. might work better.

I've got mixed feelings on the shorter worker boot. Initially the top was rubbing on my achilles area, which as been a problem for me.

Old 01-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
(female)

rhiannon1984 HB User

Hi Zerk,

My husband shattered his heel and damaged this subtalar joint last year. He is still painfully recovering. He has spent his entire career specializing in work boots, in a family owned retail business started by his grandfather. I will ask him for advice for you and post it later today or tomorrow. Among others, he is familiar with Dr. Martens, Red Wing and New Balance - the best fitting and highest quality shoes in the industry if you ask him. So you are using the right product.

His injured foot has grown a full size, almost a size and a half since the injury. He has all of his shoes now in 2 different sizes, but that's easier for him to do as a shoe store owner who can get shoes at cost. It is not practical for someone who is not.

He suffers from serious pain in his achilles as you mentioned in your post. Have you found anything - PT or at home exercise - to relieve this pain? He of course has constant pain while walking due to the subtalar joint injury and can't walk on uneven surfaces at all, but it's the achilles pain that is the worst. His doctors offer no explanation for it.

Thank you for sharing your experience - and I'll post again after I get my husband to read your work boot questions. He's not much of a computer guy so I'll post a reply for him.

Take care....

Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I got a spacer under the insert of my good foot. Ortho go gave it to me, just a 1/16" piece of foam or something, so the shoes and boots don't feel so roomy.

My shoes feel pretty good, but days in work boots can be hard. Not sure if its the boots or that I am more active. I think both. I change into shoes for driving.

I may try a taller work boot. Maybe its stiffer and thicker in the achilles area, with the shorter boots, cause all the seems come together.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
(female)

rhiannon1984 HB User

That's good so the good foot feels better.

I told my husband about your condition and he said that you were right on with the Red Wing King Toe. If he had to wear work boots that is the one he would use with the same condition. I'll ask him about the taller boot. That makes sense because his ortho recommended he consider a brace up to the knee - which if you had a firm tall boot that would be the same.

He said he had no advice for the achilles pain - he's experiencing the same thing and wishes someone had advice for HIM on that!

Old 01-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

I should probably ice my achilles, but I am sick of icing. Probably the best thing, is to stretch it and keep it active. So far I can't do a heel raise on just that foot, which is kinda bummer.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Work boots are getting little more comfortable. I was ready to try something else. I stepped on them a couple hundred times and wiggles the uppers back and forth. I am tieing them tight now, that seems better. I was doing loose.

I think I would look for canvas uppers next time, more flexible. I bought 6" leather and all the seems come together at top and bother me.

Also I wouldn't get boots with a high heel. I can't wear western work boots, but I have tried on engineer boots, and they seem ok. smaller heel.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I used to really like my Danner Stryker boots. Black lace up boots, rode my bike, hiked, dailly stuff. I didn't wear tennis shoes before this. But there to narrow now. I can fit in them, but not good.

I just bought a pair of Danner Pursuits, they are a lace up boot, but with a tennis shoe cushion in the heel, but the tread is aggressive. They are not steel toes though. I am excited to try them on my motorcycle.

Closed Thread