It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

Pegret HB User
triple Arthrodesis - 15 weeks out

Hello foot friends,
Wednesday marked 15 weeks since surgery. I am so pleased. I have really done well. I do have a couple of questions. While I won't say I have pain, we footies know from pain, right?) Starting at my little toe and following those bones down to just before the heel, I am uncomfortable. It feels like that part of the foot is stressed more when I walk. Any clues? Will that go away as time goes on? I figure I walked splay footed, toes out, for so long that just turning the foot straight forward might be causing those tendons and muscles to complain. If I walk/stand for more than an hour I do get some swelling but it is not too bad. I am taking an Aleve each morning, but that is pretty much for the rest of my body's aches and pains. At 61 I find Arthritis seems to have moved in to stay.

I am walking fairly well, and I think most of my uneven gait comes from needing to get the left foot done. And I am scheduled to have my left foot done on October 28. I am wait listed for an opening on the 7th, 14th and 21st. I really hope it will happen sooner. The 28th gives me only 9 weeks before I have to go to work the first of the year. My surgeon only does triple's on Wednesdays. And as he is the head of sports medicine for the Univ of Iowa, he is pretty occupied during football season.
Peg

Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: triple Arthrodesis - 15 weeks out

Hi Peg!

I understand the uncomfortable feeling you are talking about. I have had my ankle and subtalar joints fused and am dealing with pain in the same spot. My dr told me it was the tendons/ligaments getting used to a new way of walking. He gave me a topical anti inflammatory, but that didn't work. Now I am getting scheduled for a physical therapist to use an ultrasound in that area. Not sure exactly how that works, but we'll see.

Sounds like you have a solid plan to finish things up by getting the work done on your left foot. I'm sure it can make your gait uneven while you wait. I'm from Iowa, although I live in Missouri now. I have an excellent dr down here, but if I were still up there I would LOVE to have your dr. University of Iowa hospital is tops!!! I'm curious to know your surgeon's name. There is a doc there who does tons of research on feet and ankles.

Good luck with the rest of procedures and I'm happy to hear you are satisfied so far. Isn't it great to feel like you are making progress???

Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

r2larson HB User

It tokk months for that pain to go away for me - the tendons are stretching, I wish I'd had him lengthen them at time of the surgery.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

Pegret HB User

Hi Step,
I am working with Dr Amendolo. He actually is the head of sports medicine, think football players. I was rejected as a candidate by Dr. Femino, the foot orthopedist - in a 3 1/2 minute consult, I was condemmed to a wheel chair. Not my favorite doc. Had my knee and hip replaced by Dr. Clark at Univ of Iowa. I really do love the care I get there, not including Dr Femino!
Peg

Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
(female)

boston18 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegret View Post
Hello foot friends,
Wednesday marked 15 weeks since surgery. I am so pleased. I have really done well. I do have a couple of questions. While I won't say I have pain, we footies know from pain, right?) Starting at my little toe and following those bones down to just before the heel, I am uncomfortable. It feels like that part of the foot is stressed more when I walk. Any clues? Will that go away as time goes on? I figure I walked splay footed, toes out, for so long that just turning the foot straight forward might be causing those tendons and muscles to complain. If I walk/stand for more than an hour I do get some swelling but it is not too bad. I am taking an Aleve each morning, but that is pretty much for the rest of my body's aches and pains. At 61 I find Arthritis seems to have moved in to stay.

I am walking fairly well, and I think most of my uneven gait comes from needing to get the left foot done. And I am scheduled to have my left foot done on October 28. I am wait listed for an opening on the 7th, 14th and 21st. I really hope it will happen sooner. The 28th gives me only 9 weeks before I have to go to work the first of the year. My surgeon only does triple's on Wednesdays. And as he is the head of sports medicine for the Univ of Iowa, he is pretty occupied during football season.
Peg
Good morning pegret, I was happy to see you posted your latest comments. I had my TA on Sept 10th and I am doing well. I had the soft cast replaced with a fibercast on 9/24 and the two incisions look on either side of my foot look gros but the doctor assures me the swelling ( it is huge) will eventually come down. I go back in 2 weeks for xrays to see if the cadaver bone is taking and another cast. If the bone is not bonding then they will inject bone marrow into the ankle...........I had such a horrendous experience with the anesthesia and pain meds that I want to ask you what did you have? I was sick (nausea & Vomiting) for a week. I am pretty much off all pain meds. I am so excited to know that you are having your other foot done. I feel like we are getting a second chance after so many DR's saying nothing positive. My Dr is Meredith Warner in Baton Rouge. She was in the Air Force for 4 years and was in Afganistan and did many ankle surgeries,
I feel blessed to have found her after so many years of going to doctors with no results.
keep us posted, you do an exceptional job of posting your experiences
Thanks & Good Luck
Carole

Old 09-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Quote:
Hi Step,
I am working with Dr Amendolo. He actually is the head of sports medicine, think football players. I was rejected as a candidate by Dr. Femino, the foot orthopedist - in a 3 1/2 minute consult, I was condemmed to a wheel chair. Not my favorite doc. Had my knee and hip replaced by Dr. Clark at Univ of Iowa. I really do love the care I get there, not including Dr Femino!
Peg
Wow! You were told you would have to live in a wheel chair by one doc and now a different doc did the TA? And these docs were both from Univ Of Iowa hospitals? I am always amazed at how medicine works. Much different from corporate America.

Anyway, I am glad things are going well for you. I have been doing an ultrasound treatment for 2 weeks now for the pain on the outside of my foot. It kind of helps, but I still have pain there, right at the base of the 3rd and 4th toe and my heel can take my breath away at times. I am beginning to think i will just have to accept that it will always be painful....

Hate to be a bummer. Glad you are doing well! The good news is that I am more active now than I have been in a long time.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #7
(female)

canuck46 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbystep89 View Post
Hi Peg!

I understand the uncomfortable feeling you are talking about. I have had my ankle and subtalar joints fused and am dealing with pain in the same spot. My dr told me it was the tendons/ligaments getting used to a new way of walking. He gave me a topical anti inflammatory, but that didn't work. Now I am getting scheduled for a physical therapist to use an ultrasound in that area. Not sure exactly how that works, but we'll see.

Sounds like you have a solid plan to finish things up by getting the work done on your left foot. I'm sure it can make your gait uneven while you wait. I'm from Iowa, although I live in Missouri now. I have an excellent dr down here, but if I were still up there I would LOVE to have your dr. University of Iowa hospital is tops!!! I'm curious to know your surgeon's name. There is a doc there who does tons of research on feet and ankles.

Good luck with the rest of procedures and I'm happy to hear you are satisfied so far. Isn't it great to feel like you are making progress???

Step
Hi Peg, (and others) I am 6.5 mos out from my triple. I know the pain you are talking about. When I asked my Dr. he said it could be from where the screw is. I rather think it is because my foot is shaped differently now and I am walking in a new way. I do find that when I change from tennis shoes to another shoe I have different types of pain because of different shape of shoe? I will say the pain is very manageable and that the swelling is way, way down. I still tire if standing on my feet too long but maybe it is because I am out of shape. I have started walking and each day I can go a little further - my area is a little hilly so I am making progress. I would do it all over again as the pain is nothing like it was and is not constant. Good luck with your next surgery. Take care, Mar

Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 AM   #8
(female)

Pegret HB User

Hi Carol, so sorry for taking a long time to reply. I was out of town for business this last week. I am doing well at 18 weeks. As to the anesthesia, I really don't know what they did, but I do know they did not have to put a tube down my throat...I hate that part and was so glad. I start throwing up after about a day on a morphine product. I understand that is not uncommon. Could that have been your problem? I was given dilaudid for pain after. I was taking 1 every 2 hours when I left the hospital. They also gave me a muscle relaxer for the first couple of weeks. Can't remember the name right now. Between the two I survived the first week of pain. I had my pre-op for the second one yesterday. All set to go. Surgery is set for the 28th of Oct, but I am first in line for any opening before that. Makes me crazy not knowing...I really hope I go soon. So how am I coping? Going on vacation up to Door County in Wisconsin with girlfriends for the rest of the week. We leave in a few hours.
Peg

Old 10-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
(female)

boston18 HB User

Quote:
Hi Carol, so sorry for taking a long time to reply. I was out of town for business this last week. I am doing well at 18 weeks. As to the anesthesia, I really don't know what they did, but I do know they did not have to put a tube down my throat...I hate that part and was so glad. I start throwing up after about a day on a morphine product. I understand that is not uncommon. Could that have been your problem? I was given dilaudid for pain after. I was taking 1 every 2 hours when I left the hospital. They also gave me a muscle relaxer for the first couple of weeks. Can't remember the name right now. Between the two I survived the first week of pain. I had my pre-op for the second one yesterday. All set to go. Surgery is set for the 28th of Oct, but I am first in line for any opening before that. Makes me crazy not knowing...I really hope I go soon. So how am I coping? Going on vacation up to Door County in Wisconsin with girlfriends for the rest of the week. We leave in a few hours.
Peg
Peg, good to hear that you are going on a trip with the girls...........now that I am a little over three weeks I find myself going nuts ......if I use the walker too much my leg swells so I am trying to find a way to "get some things done in the house" without risking injury" Once a week I go out and get my hair done but that is an ordeal getting back into the house........the weather was nice so I stayed outside for a while..........Next week I go back to change the cast and take x rays to see if i need bone marrow injected into the ankle....I hope the cadaver bone took.

I hope you do great with your next surgery and i will keep you in my thoughts.
Talk with you later.
Carole

Closed Thread