It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
(female)

timewilltell HB User
How long is long enough?

Interesting to find I inadvertently joined such a wide sorority/fraternity; one that no one really wants to pledge, but here we are. And what a hazing! My initiation was almost a year ago---the stereotypical ladder fall. Calcaneous fractured in 4 places, surgery the end of Oct., '08. I'm walking now, not always gracefully, but gratefully. This has forced me to take time to enjoy life more, paradoxically. And the lesson to be ever more patient is priceless.

I'm curious about the swelling though, which is still overwhelmingly, grossly magnificent. Does it eventually dissipate? Has anyone ever had fluids drained, like they do for knee surgery?

I applaud all those in the thick of things who handle these challenges. As a Mom, I'm lucky to have all the kids raised and able to enjoy the grandkids!

Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
(female)

r2larson HB User
Re: How long is long enough?

I've never heard of fluid draining unless the swelling is in isolated joints. Overall swelling requires compression and elevation. Do you have diabetes or any other health condition that could contriobute to the swelling?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
(female)

timewilltell HB User

No diabetes or conditions I'm aware of. Just thought over the months the swelling would have subsided somewhat, and a little chagrined that the foot is still pretty much a fat sausage, despite elevation and ice so often. Maybe compression with a stocking or something would be efficacious.

Thanks.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Have you tried a compression sock? My doc recommended one. I went with one you get from medical/pharmacy type place. The one at Walgreens just seemed to general. Might have been ok, if I knew what I needed.
Prices really vary, bought a pair at two places locally. One $70 and one $40

When i first started earing it, I got some weird feelings when taking it off, so would take it off a hour or more before bed. I don't get those feeling anymore.

Its a PIA to hand wash them,but what ya gonna do.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
(female)

timewilltell HB User

Worth a try, I'll check for a med supply place this week. Do you have to wear those forever? Does the swelling return to its original volume after removing them?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I don't have a ton of swelling. But I've never let it go all day without it to see what it would look like. I've been told I could have to wear it for a year, or maybe longer. Its not really a big deal. I usually put it on when I get up and where it until evening.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
(female)

sorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB Usersorefooted HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewilltell View Post
Interesting to find I inadvertently joined such a wide sorority/fraternity; one that no one really wants to pledge, but here we are. And what a hazing! My initiation was almost a year ago---the stereotypical ladder fall. Calcaneous fractured in 4 places, surgery the end of Oct., '08. I'm walking now, not always gracefully, but gratefully. This has forced me to take time to enjoy life more, paradoxically. And the lesson to be ever more patient is priceless.

I'm curious about the swelling though, which is still overwhelmingly, grossly magnificent. Does it eventually dissipate? Has anyone ever had fluids drained, like they do for knee surgery?

I applaud all those in the thick of things who handle these challenges. As a Mom, I'm lucky to have all the kids raised and able to enjoy the grandkids!
Have you tried compression stockings? They did the trick for my swelling. The doctor has to prescribe them.. covered by insurance..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Doc told me to get them but I didn't get perscriptions. WC did cover it though. I went to medical supply store and got them. I got the most compression you can get without perscriptions.

Prices vary. First store $70, 2nd store $40, for same brand.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I made the mistake of not wearing a regular sock over the compression sock. Wear good socks over it. Since the accident, I wear nothing but high performance socks. Ha. Wool light hikers feel great. I've also got some double cusioned ones.

Last edited by Zerk; 10-27-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
(female)

timewilltell HB User

Thanks so much for the info. I wish my Dr. had suggested some thing like that months and months ago.

Can you mention the brand? I have recently tried some from the drugstore, which have helped immensely. How long have you been using these? And do you anticipate there come a time the swelling will dissipate and you will no longer need to use these?

Closed Thread