It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User
Screws backing out after OATS ankle procedure

I went to another post op visit the other day to learn that my screws have started to back out. I do have occasional shooting pain, but thought it was just part of the healing process. Turns out it is not. I met with my OS's Nurse Practitioner and she shrugged her shoulders and said, "I don't know what he's going to want to do with this, I need to show him these X-rays. I had the OATS procedure done on my R ankle in April, then I fell and the osteotomy slipped so I had an ORIF done in July... now it's Sept. and my screws are backing out. Can't blame my surgeon though. I always push myself and despite the fact that I'm suppose to be NWB, I do walk on it when I'm cooking in the kitchen or to carry my 3 year old to bed if he falls asleep on the couch. We beleive this is the cause of my screws backing out.

I'm wondering if I can get some feedback regarding this. Does anyone think this is something they're going to have to take care of before it becomes significantly problematic? (I was warned that if the screw backs out further the ankle can essentially "fall apart" again.) If so, what does the repair consist of? Would they remove the screws? Tighten them, replace them, is it a general anesthesia procedure in an ASC setting? Is there pain afterward - if so how long does it hurt for? If anyone out there knows anything about this, I'd love your feedback!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User
Re: Screws backing out after OATS ankle procedure

Hello? Is anyone out there with feedback on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I want to say that maybe Margaret had this problem. I don't know. If you do a search, I'm pretty sure someone with OATS had the screws back out.

You need to seriously do your NWB. You don't want your ankle messed up forever. I know it is hard, but please don't push it too much.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
(female)

anklehelp HB User

I agree with Kris. Follow doctors orders to the T. That way, you know you are doing everything possible to allow your body to heal properly.

Don't know much about screws backing out though...

Closed Thread