It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User
I just got the call - OAT on Thrusday

Oh my, the doctor's office just called and said they have a matching talus bone for me and scheduled surgery for this coming Thursday. I wish I had a Xanax, lol.

Any advice you can give me? Want to tell me your hospital experience? Thanks!

Last edited by Jennafur; 09-14-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Hit enter too soon

Old 09-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: I just got the call - OAT on Thrusday

Jennafur,

In a way 3 days notice is a good thing ... won't give you much time counting the days with anxiety. (I had 3 months notice before my OATS (Autograph))

My surgery was on a Monday afternoon and I was home by Thursday afternoon. First 2 weeks are the toughest painwise and have to say it was all ankle, my knee didn't bother me at all. Just stay ahead of your pain meds .. even if you aren't in pain take it at the time you should because once the pain starts you'll have to wait until it kicks in. (also get stool softeners because pain meds are well ... binding

Elevate constantly and get your 'nest' ready .. everything in reach.

You'll do great I am sure ... good luck and let us know how it goes when you are able.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Wow, I'd be freaking too. I had about a month-6 weeks to think about it.
I had it on Tuesday and was home Friday. If you can get an ON-Q pump that is a nerve block in your leg, then go for it. It helped so much.
Plan to keep your leg elevated as much as possible. Get a cast cover or lots of duct tape and trash bags for showers. Stock your fridge and freezer, esp with frozen peas.
See if you can get your DMV handicap placard now, before the surgery.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Good luck Jennafur!

Get a shower chair as well. And a stool so you can sit by the sink when you brush your teeth, wash your face, etc.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Thank you, everybody!

Yes, not much time to plan. However, I knew it would be like this as they never know when they'll have a matching talus and it has to be used ASAP. I have my "recovery room" ready downstairs, I just got it ready last week, thankfully. I'm moving all my clothes and trying to think of every little thing that is upstairs that I'll need in the coming weeks.

"If you can get an ON-Q pump that is a nerve block in your leg, then go for it."

Oh really? I just assumed the block was something like a spinal, like I have gotten for past c-sections. I won't have to have anything in my back, right? God, I hate needles in my spine. Heck, I hated being that numb. I can handle it being in just my one leg.

Shower chair... yes, great idea. I hate to buy one but I guess it's awful late in the game to shoot for used. I don't know if I want to put my naked butt on a used one anyway, lol. Thanks for the other suggestions too. I'll put all of it down on my "get me" list for my husband.

How long is the procedure?

Old 09-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

OATS is a not-so-common procedure. So, my stay in the hospital was not pleasant at all. The nurses put one single pillow under my foot for elevation... and my doctors eyes about popped out of his head when he walked in the hospital room and saw it. Immediatly he was like, "Get her a severe ankle pillow!". Which explained why I was taking 40mg. of oxycontin and 20mg. of Oxy IR and still crying in pain. Once the foot was elevated above my heart it felt better. I had the pump... didn't do me any good. I've had 2 surgeries since April... The first surgery I just had the pain pump in the front nerves running to the ankle. The second surgery I ended up with 'em in the front and back. Which sucked because I had to hobble around with two fanny packs on and tubes all over the place. Not that you'll be doing much hobbling the first week though. I had strict instructions to get up to go to the bathroom and thats it. Which made sense because by the time I got back to the couch my ankle was throbbing from being down. No needles in the back though. A hearty shot of versed, then they run the cath into your leg for the pump.

The best advise I can give is A.) Be patient because this is a long road your about to travel and B.) Even when you feel like you can put your foot down for a little or just pivot on the foot (like once you start moving around again) to get around in the kitchen while cooking... DON'T DO IT. I've had my osteotomy slip (I slipped and fell) so had to have a second surgery, now my screws are backing out and I'll find out if I'm up for another surgery in 2 weeks.

If you're a better listener than I am with doctors orders, you'll do fine. Just keep your patience. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

By the way Jen... I just saw that you're from Wisconsin and you mentioned your surgery is on Thurs. My surgeon does OATS on Thursdays as well and is from Wisc. by chance... is your OS Dr. Bibbo????

Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

No mstreet, Dr. Geisking in Menomonie. Are you near me at all?

Today I've been practicing going about my house with crutches. Good thing too as I apparently blow at crutching, lol.

I can't believe the day is near!

Old 09-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Ugh, I'd kick something if my right ankle didn't hurt so bad! The doctor's office just called, my talus won't be there in time for Thursday so they rescheduled me for Monday. Yay, more time to be nervous!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

The on-q pump goes in your leg. It is like an epidural for your leg. But, they usually put it in after you are asleep and you can take it home with you. It doens't hurt.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
(female)

mstreet2379 HB User

I'm not sure how far I am from Menominee. I live in Tomahawk and had my surgery in Marshfield. There must be somthing with the donor tissue getting to Wisconsin on time, cuz I went through the same ordeal... various times. Initial surgery was scheduled for Jan. 09, then March... then another day in March... then April.... and finally April 30th. There was something with the size of the allograft I needed.

I'll tell you one thing to be greatful for though... the weather is cooling off this time of year which I expect will help your pain be more "tolerable". Icing the ankle helps... but icing it when it's 95 degrees and humid never offered me much releif, especially being in a cast. So, with it cooling down, I'd expect you'd probably have a tad less swelling... but none the less... still ice it like crazy. When I get my second ankle done (I have severe OCD in both ankles) I will have it done in the fall. OH! And BE CAREFUL with crutches... especially when winter comes, if you're still on them at that time. When I go into Wal-Mart or something and don't use one of their stupid zippy carts, I bring a dry rag with me and once I get in the store I dry off the bottom of my crutches (like if it's rained or something), because that rubber has NO traction and your crutches will slip out from under you. This is what caused my osteotomy to slip 2 months post op. My crutches slipped out from under me on our wet deck and I went right down onto my operative foot. It was so painful I couldn't BREATHE. So like I said, be super careful on those crutches!!!

Also, your crutches will make your underarms soar, so you can wrap a soft towel or something around them and tape it on to ease that... but the worst part of the crutches were the calluses I got on the bottoms of my palms that started to crack open. So, I picked up some sports wrap (its like a white tape, but not sticky tape, it just adheres to itself) and wrapped it around that area of my hands... then at night I would put either Vaseline, Neosporin, or lotion on my hands and wrap them as well. These are all things that you just learn as you go... nothing the doc will tell you about.

Also, I have a shower chair that I got for my surgery but didn't use it too much because while on the chair I could never elevate it high enough to keep me from hurting in the shower. So, if your bathtub is positioned so you can take a bath and have the operative foot propped up on the outside of the tub, that was the best way for me. If you can do that, it'll save you at least $60.

When you wake up from surgery... don't be afraid to ask for more pain medication if you're hurting. They're trained to give you the least amount they feel is needed, unless you're complaining. There is NO NEED for you to suffer through pain with this surgery. They will be happy to give you more pain medication, they understand where you are coming from.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #12
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery. Enjoy your weekend. Maybe take time and cook a few extra meals. Dont forget about the strechy pants that can go over a cast. I also stocked up on stuff like shampoo and toilet paper so there would be less store trips during the recovery. Take good care of yourself.
Diane

Old 09-17-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Well as Diane says, enjoy your weekend! Try to not let the anxiety take over, it'll be over before you know it! I got my shower chair for $30 at Wal-mart just fyi in case you haven't purchased it.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Thank you for all the advice and help! Mstreet, I don't know where you are but I don't think you're close. Menomonie is near Eau Claire, if that helps.

Surgery is still on for Monday. I went to the hospital today to give them blood and urine. I know they were checking anemia and potassium and I've had those tests previously, just never had to pee for 'em... I wonder what that was for?

I'm getting a bath stool from Amazon, I have a lot of leggings, sweats, pajama bottoms and such that I think I'm fine in that department. I have my two soft hospital ice packs from previous surgeries and will probably get more at the hospital. I have gel ice packs and 4 huge bags of frozen peas. I went shopping today and bought a whole mess of food that I think my children and husband can make, unfortunately, a lot of it is in boxes or frozen, lol. I bought a lot of fruit and melon and will cut that all up, along with foods I would eat if I were to have an uneasy stomach.

Anyhow, I'm anxiously awaiting Monday.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:31 AM   #15
(female)

dizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB Userdizzizzi99 HB User

Jennafur,
They usually do a pregnancy test. I allways laughed cause my tubes have been tied for 15 years and my kids are teens and if it came back positive they wouldn't be doing ankle surgery, they would need the defibulators.

Closed Thread