decided not to do surgery for hallux rigidus for now
I go to the ortho doc tomorrow, and I have been thinking about this everyday for the last month when I found out i have bone spurs on both big toes. I was dead set on doing one toe this year and the other one next year.
well not dead set, I have been questioning my final decision every day. My wife has actually talked me out of it, but I didn't need much persuasion. I guess I will just go until I need a fusion. I can't see going through surgery twice when a fusion is inevitable. I realize i could have some pain free years with the cheilectomy, but if it doesn't work, I could be worse off than I am now. I have talked to several of you on here, and I appreciate your help, especially you Titchou,. I am not worried about my doc, just the procedure which works for some and some it does not. Of course I could change my mind in a week. but I can still lift weights and at least ride a stationary bike.
so I guess it could be worse. I just am getting the impression from my doc, that this procedure is really a crap shoot. Might work, might not. Since it is not 100%, I totally understand. some things I don't understand, since it is arthritic, it is going to come back. does doing the cheilectomy just buy you a little time. does not doing it bring the fusion on earlier.