It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

glbeacher HB User
decided not to do surgery for hallux rigidus for now

Well
I go to the ortho doc tomorrow, and I have been thinking about this everyday for the last month when I found out i have bone spurs on both big toes. I was dead set on doing one toe this year and the other one next year.
well not dead set, I have been questioning my final decision every day. My wife has actually talked me out of it, but I didn't need much persuasion. I guess I will just go until I need a fusion. I can't see going through surgery twice when a fusion is inevitable. I realize i could have some pain free years with the cheilectomy, but if it doesn't work, I could be worse off than I am now. I have talked to several of you on here, and I appreciate your help, especially you Titchou,. I am not worried about my doc, just the procedure which works for some and some it does not. Of course I could change my mind in a week. but I can still lift weights and at least ride a stationary bike.
so I guess it could be worse. I just am getting the impression from my doc, that this procedure is really a crap shoot. Might work, might not. Since it is not 100%, I totally understand. some things I don't understand, since it is arthritic, it is going to come back. does doing the cheilectomy just buy you a little time. does not doing it bring the fusion on earlier.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: decided not to do surgery for hallux rigidus for now

Well, it all depends on how painful it is and how active you want to be. Personally, I know that if I had to quit jogging and dancing because of the toe, then I'd have the fusion. No question about it. The cheilectomy has been a godsend for me as I would have already had to have the fusion if I hadn't had it first. It's been 6 years plus for me and I haven't noticed any further deterioration nor any bone buildup on either side of the joint. So i'd say I'm pretty far out from a fusion. At age 63, I think I should be good into my 70's at least. And I'd definitely have the cheilectomy on the other great toe if/when it gets to the point the first one did. (All this is assuming they won't find another Vioxx - which I would take in a flash!) But you are correct, you have to make your own decisions. If you can live with the limitations this puts on you, that's great. I just know when I can't run, I am one ill piece and just do not feel well. And I want to jog as long as I can...I love having the lowest time in my age group in a 5K!!!!!!!! I'm too competitive. So, I'll do whatever it takes to keep running. (and if we can toss in a nice pair of 2" heels, that's even better!)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread