It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
(male)

Greentea73 HB User
Sural Nerve pain

Hi,

I had surgery in June to remove my os trigonum. A couple weeks after the surgery, I started to get a lot of drainage and was treated for an infection. Two surgeries later, I am on IV Vancomycin and still trying to get rid of this infection.

After the first surgery, the lateral side of my left foot was numb. I asked my doctor and he said the sural nerve was probably compressed during surgery and that it will take a few months to regain sensation in my foot.

A week and a half ago, I started getting pain that began at my incision and shooting across my foot to my little toe. At first, it only bothered me when I wore shoes, so I could walk around with flip flops. Now, it even bothers me when I'm barefoot. I asked my doctor and he said it is likely that the sural nerve is regaining sensation. He said that he didn't know how long it will take to regain feeling in my foot or how long I have to endure the pain. He put me on 25mg of Lyrica (3x/day). I also take vicodin when it gets really bad. Unfortunately, neither drug does anything for the pain. My doctor said it takes about a week for the Lyrica to work. If it doesn't work (and I'm tolerating the side effects), then he'll increase the dosage.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be anything else? Any suggestions on what I can do for the pain? Walking is usually really painful. Occasionally, I can walk for a few minutes without pain, but I can't figure out how to make the pain-free moments last.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #2
(male)

nebs1972 HB User
Re: Sural Nerve pain

Have same problem. Doc wants to just cut nerve further up my calf.
Not sure what to do

Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
(female)

lilredsmom HB Userlilredsmom HB User

I too suffered from nerve pain after a bunionectmy and plantar neurma removal. My toes felt like they were being shocked and the pain would lift my leg up ( knee jerk reaction I'm sure) but I also felt like hot liquid was poured on my toes. I went back to my Pod with all this and he said he didn't k ow what to make of it so be just gave me stronger pain pills that still didn't work. I went in to see my reg doctor and he wrote me a perscription and from that day I went from crutches to being able to bear weight and not one bit of nerve pain but walking with a cane which was still a Miracle for me. When I looked up the medication it turned out to be an antidepressant that also works for pain! I take it before bed and I'm good for the whole next day but I always know when it's time to take it because the pains start up. It's called Nortriptyline. Shocker that it worked for me anyway. Hope this helps.

Last edited by lilredsmom; 10-09-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Greentea,

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you are having and have to say also SO glad you posted this.

I have an os trigonum in my right foot that has been acting up on and off over the past 3 years due to 4 surgeries I've had on my left ankle and I guess because of all the work/compensating its doing.

Right now it is clicking (loudly) and seems to catch, causing some burning in the arch of my foot, but I just had a cortisone shot and it seems to have calmed down a bit.

My OS keeps saying it's a 'simple' surgery and I'd be walking on it 'days after the surgery' and I guess perhaps it is simple compared to what I've had done to my other ankle but it sounds like it might not be that simple.

Can I ask what made you have it removed? I am thinking I am just going to ignore it and hope it doesn't bother me as my other ankle improves - according to my OS leaving it can't cause further damage.

Thanks,
Kim

Closed Thread