It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
(male)

eammann HB User
fractured calcaneus recovery time

Hi all,
I just fractured my calcaneus bone last week. Right now I am at the computer with my leg propped up on my desk. I hobble around the house with crutches. I saw my ortho doc on monday and had a CT of the ankle done at the same time. They recasted the leg and told me to come back in 7-10 days due to all the swelling. The ortho doc said the bone is broken inseveral places and displaced upwards. I would like to hear from people who have had this injury and their recover time as well as if they had surgery or let it heal on its own in a cast. Also should I be looking at buying a scooter or segway to get around. I normally walk 8-10 miles a day doing my service work. Will I ever be able to do that again? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: fracured calcaneus recovery time

I was non weight bearing 12 weeks. No surgery cause foot was to swollen. At week 12 doc said give it six months. Been 3 months. I am fairly active, some pain. It comes down to some degree, what you can take. I am just not gonna sit around.

What does the future hold, who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 01:42 AM   #3
(male)

Rick2012 HB User

Fractured mine 4 weeks ago and can weight bare, with no pain whatsoever, try and be optimistic as possible.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
(male)

eammann HB User

Thanks. Just sitting around with my foot up on a piilow on top of the desk looking for more info till the swelling goes down. I go back in on Monday for follow up and more questions for the Doc.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

desross4 HB User

eammann:

I fractured my calcaneus 7 months ago in an auto accident. I had to postpone fusion surgery for 2 mos for the initial open fracture tissue damage to heal first, then a primary fusion (calcaneus & STJ). I just had my hardware removed 3 weeks ago and I'm doing pretty well. So far I've had 8 weeks of physical therapy that has really helped with range of motion and my limp. I was non weight bearing for 4 mos, but it is really a lot better for me now.

<removed>

desross4

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-22-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: do not instruct members on how to find websites.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
(female)

kitkatkait HB User

I fractured my calcaneus 13 weeks ago, and am still not weight bearing. I fell 10-15 feet rock climbing, and got a compound fracture in my right heel. I had surgery about 2 weeks into the process, and got 4 screws and an external pin. The pin was taken out about 6 weeks after the surgery. Since then, I was told to work on range of motion in my ankle. I find doing the ABC's is really good since it gets my ankle moving every which way. I have an appointment in a few days, and I'm almost certain i will start weight bearing. Does anyone know approximately how long it will be before I'm off crutches and/or out of the boot? I am REALLY getting restless since I'm only 19, a student, and extremely active (hence the rock climbing). Stir-crazy is becoming an understatement these days...lol I cannot wait to be back to driving and walking and hopefully doing other physical activity!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
(male)

CTman HB User

Fractured my heel in a fall on Sept. 2, 2009. Sanders type 3 break with surgery about 1 week later. Titanium plate in there with several screws. Pain is tremendous at first, but subsiding each day. Original cast off after surgery and my doc wants to keep the stitches in for 5 weeks or so. I am now in a boot with velcro straps and remove the boot 3 times per day to stretch my foot. As with all other blogs I have read from 2004 to today - Healing time is very slow. Time will tell, trust the Lord for healing and move forward each day.
-Rev. Mike

Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
(male)

eammann HB User

Update.. It's been 3 weeks now I think. Went to the Doc Sept. 21. The Doc and I deceided to let it heal on its own due to the swelling and an infection of a blister on my heal. I will probably need surgery at a later date. . I'm off the pain meds but still taking over the counter stuff to sleep at night. i'm still keeping it elevated during the day as much as possible. The swelling has gone down a lot and the color of the exposed parts of my leg and toes has returned to normal. I can't wait to do something about getting out of this cast/jones splint. I put down it had been 4 weeks to start, then corrected myself. I just hope I don't go COMPLETLY Krazy before this is done. Thanks for evreyone's support and info. God Bless all.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
(male)

pablo59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eammann View Post
Hi all,
I just fractured my calcaneus bone last week. Right now I am at the computer with my leg propped up on my desk. I hobble around the house with crutches. I saw my ortho doc on monday and had a CT of the ankle done at the same time. They recasted the leg and told me to come back in 7-10 days due to all the swelling. The ortho doc said the bone is broken inseveral places and displaced upwards. I would like to hear from people who have had this injury and their recover time as well as if they had surgery or let it heal on its own in a cast. Also should I be looking at buying a scooter or segway to get around. I normally walk 8-10 miles a day doing my service work. Will I ever be able to do that again? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful and greatly appreciated.
I fractured mine July 29th 2009, no surgery yet, great pain first month then moderate.
Still can't put any weight on heel, doc said use the pool to walk in if i'm in chest high, or walk on my toes with my crutches and whirlpool 3 times a day.
Have lost all muscle in calf,said it would be at least 4 months then rehab.
no more jumping out of planes, that's ok with me i'm just looking forward to walking again hopefully without a cane..or with a cane by November30th
Good luck to you and anyone that breaks this bone....

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #10
(male)

Fuzzyfoot HB User
Question Re: fracured calcaneus recovery time

I fractured my heel on 09/09/09 on vacation and have been non-weight bearing since then. I am really missing work and especially exercise. I never thought about the potential impact of this injury.

I have been diligently elevating my foot but still have some swelling in spite of the fact that I have not had operation. I am using a scooter and crutches and they work reasonably well but I do not feel fully safe with either. I am fearful of falling and causing another unrelated injury or worsening this one.

I wonder if anyone has had experience with walking in a swimming pool to rehabilitate when allowed to begin weight-bearing. It seems to me that the natural bouyancy could help and the fear of falling (at least in the water) could help. I desperately need to get back to some kind of exercise. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
(female)

desross4 HB User

Fuzzyfoot, pablo59 & eammann:
Once you are in a removeable walking cast, you should be able to wiggle your toes, do achilles stretches with a towel and some total leg exercises. But make sure your dr or pt okays it first.

Several heelies have benefited from walking in a pool and doing exercises in the pool. Your calf muscles do come back but slowly. Your "other leg" muscles will be in great shape from all the weight-bearing.

Hang in there, once you can start physical therapy, you'll see a fast improvement. Right now you are all in the waiting mode which means you don't have much control over your recovery.
desross4

Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
(male)

pablo59 HB User

Desross 4 is right on, i would and did use frozen gel packs for the swelling, it helped a great deal with pain and swelling.
i will admit it was the worst pain i had in 59 years and have had to learn patience and take time to get were your going ( you don't have alot of choice ).
Check out the knee scooters after falling twice i purchased 1 ( about $300, to buy,rent for $5.00 a day ) they weigh about 24#'s and colapses for easy transport in your car, makes getting around easier,well worth the price..after 11 weeks i'm getting around pretty well, just putting small amout of weight on my toes as the dr ordered..
Good luck to all...

Last edited by pablo59; 10-12-2009 at 02:16 AM.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:13 AM   #13
(male)

Fuzzyfoot HB User

I really appreciate the input. I am now getting some reduction in swelling and really have had a minimum amount of pain (for which I am grateful!). I am renting a scooter and agree that it helps a lot over the crutches. Unfortunately, mine does not fold down and as my wife is disabled, there is no way of getting it in and out of a car.
I have an appointment with my podiatrist on 10/15 and will get an update then. It seems that the dictum is that 8 - 12 weeks of non-weight bearing is the norm. My job involves prolonged standing, so I guess I am committed to that at the least. Fortunately, I have a great STD plan.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
(male)

eammann HB User

Update.. I went in to the Doc yesterday. They removed the Jones splint/case and took x-rays. The bones have healed enough for me to now wear a removeable walking boot. Still no weight bearing though. The good part is that I can now get some sleep by removing the boot at night. I start PT next week and am going back to work on Monday. I go back to the Doc in 4 weeks to hopefully start weight bearing then.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
(male)

pablo59 HB User

i'm just throwing a question out there, i' ve mentioned in the past i broke my calcaneus 7/29/09 a 9 inch drop on uneven surface, at first i thought i rolled my ankle and broke it, now i believe i rolled my ankle spraining it, and the sprain causing the break, not my heel contacting the surface and breaking my heel in 4 places.
my question is has anyone done this or heard of this ( i have, but it's very rare ) and does anyone notice weather changes?( stiffness )
Good luck,
Pablo59

Last edited by pablo59; 10-15-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: needed to add explaination...

Closed Thread