It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

foot loose HB User
Question Knee Walker??

I'm going in on 25 Sept for PTTD surgery. I'm having a PT tendon debridement and transfer, achilles tendon lengthening, lateral column lengthening, calcaneal osteotomy, and an additional bone graft. I'm more than nervous about the surgery. My husband is in the Army and is currently deployed and I have 5 children at home. My mother in law is living with us to help out until her returns. I was wondering if anyone who has had a similar surgery has found that a knee walker is beneficial. It is not billable through my insurance so I'd have to pay for the rental out of pocket...the cheapest I've found is $100/mo at a medical supply place near my home. Just wondering if it's woth it. I will be NWB for 10-12 weeks and the thought of crutches for that long is unbearable. Are the knee walkers stable? *remember...I'll have 5 children running around me...lol!!! Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User
Re: Knee Walker??

Footloose,

Provided nothing is being done to your knee (i.e. you didn't say where the bone graft was coming from) on the same side, the Knee Walker is a great help especially in rooms like the kitchen where it is a real challenge getting things from the fridge over to the counter when on crutches. (Although I have to say I became quite a pro at stuffing things in the waistband of my sweatpants ... but that didn't work well with things like a gallon of milk

It works on carpeting too, although required a bit more effort to get going .. some even come with a basket on front for add'l space.

Be careful though .. I think I read on here that someone wiped out and needed an additional surgery to fix so you need to be careful and probably shouldn't let your kids near it ... can be pretty fast when you get going

Mine wasn't covered either ... and I think I paid around the same and I kept it for 2 months. I recommend the Turning Leg Caddy ... I know some are a little different and this one was better than the one they had in the local surgical supply store.

Good luck!

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

I used a knee walker for two weeks and it's pretty fun. I didn't trust myself on one until I was about six weeks out. Be careful with them! If you run over toes it really, really hurts. I ran over my own several times. Don't ask me how, I'm just special that way.

Also, I bought a little girls bicycle basket and put it on the front to carry things (mine didn't come with one).

And for $100 a month, go for it! My rental was $75 a WEEK. Yikes! That's why I only had it for a few weeks.

Another thing - with 5 kids running around you'll be tempted to do more than you can. Don't. If you're in pain, just have them read you a story and 'take care of mama'. My son (11) really took to being my nursemaid. Take advantage of that if you can. For at least a week you won't really want to do much more than lay around and watch crappy tv. I couldn't read or do much else because of my pain meds. And at two in the morning, you watch what's on - and it's not high art, trust me.

Good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

I had a Roller-Aide for my foot surgery and it was awesome. It was very safe, not tippy and even had a cup holder and a basket. I definitley recommend getting one of those. I would say it was definitely worth $100 per month rental! Heck, a very cheap price for mobility!

Abby

Last edited by akirka; 09-18-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Knee walkers are pretty great. You can even purchase them on the web I found them cheaper online. Check it out. First I would go to like libery Oxygen or medical supply store and try one out. Then go out an price them if you have to pay for it. Insurances usually cover the cost with a doc's note. Try to get one that does a complete circle without having to lift it. I believe mine was a roll about by nova care. I do recommend that you take a slow pace with them I got alittle over zellous one day and darn near went over tea kettle, thank god the hubby was there to catch me. Yep and hollered at me to slow down. Oh alomst forgot check with you local VFW as they loan out all sorts of equipment. I got my wheel chair from them and you keep it tell your done. Great place for those who need help. Good luck.
Walleye

Last edited by Administrator; 11-27-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

I have a rental for $25 a month and I keep it about 3-4 months since I'm on my own a lot and I have to get around college. It gets tempting to keep it but some crutch use will give you muscle strength to go to PWB. Be careful not to go too fast and it'll be tempting for people to want to talk or tinker with it. I do find with more use you need to give yourself breaks so your knee and hip wont ache.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #7
(female)

scrapscot HB User

I got a loaner Roller-aide from a coworker. It's been a life saver; I would never have been able to do the crutches. I've become pretty adept at it. Tomorrow I have my 8 week check up and see if I'm strong enough to bear weight. Guess then it will be therapy after that.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

MobilMom HB User

Having a Kneewalker has been great -- I can actually make dinner for my family and get my laptop from room to room -- it is hard to get it into the bathroom though!

Your doctor may be able to write a prescription for it - -especially if you have difficulty with crutches (or a bad back or hips) -- that way, your insurance may cover it.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
(female)

scrapscot HB User

Shhh..don't tell my partner..she's been fixing dinner! My bathroom is small too and it has been difficult getting in and out on the knee walker. Now that I'm weight bearing and on a regular walker, it's even harder though! The door is not as wide as the walker!

QUOTE=MobilMom;4099854]Having a Kneewalker has been great -- I can actually make dinner for my family and get my laptop from room to room -- it is hard to get it into the bathroom though!

Your doctor may be able to write a prescription for it - -especially if you have difficulty with crutches (or a bad back or hips) -- that way, your insurance may cover it.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Closed Thread