It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
(female)

Laroyena HB User
Chronic Sesamoiditis?

I've had chronic throbbing pain in both my feet in the sesamoid area for over seven years, with no hope of it subsiding. The pain isn't debilitating but is still painful, especially when pressed at certain points on both feet. The pain is generally localized on the outside of the big toe (near the side of my foot) and under the balls of my feet (when you press in underneath the big toe).

I have gone to several doctors over the years, with no one willing to give a straight answer. They found that one of my sesamoids in my left foot had split into two and suggested a cast (they said they thought it was a fracture, but I doubt it since I'm in no way an athlete and was only in fifth grade when the pain started). They also found that I only had one sesamoid in my right foot. The pain had always been worse in my left foot than my right, so they decided to try and fix the pain in the left first. After the cast was removed, however, the pain was even worse than it had been before.

Some doctors had suggested surgery, but I'm testy in that area. They didn't suggest it before because I was too young, and I'm not even sure if the pain is really caused by sesamoiditis or not. I've heard that 10-25% of people have bipartite sesamoids, which I feel like is what I have, though why I have pain in the area, I don't know. My family and I are frustrated because the doctors never seem to actively search out a real diagnosis/answer, perhaps because it isn't obvious that I have pain in my feet (I walk a certain way to avoid touching the areas, but it's not that noticeable).

As a high school senior, I don't want this pain infringing on my activities for the rest of the school year. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Last edited by Laroyena; 09-20-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
(female)

n0nn37 HB User
Re: Chronic Sesamoiditis?

Hi Laroyena-
I know you posted this over a year ago, but I wanted to try to reach out and see if you ever got a straight answer! I have been having the same issue for the past 5 years - bipartae sesamoids, sharp burning pain on the sides/bottom of my big toe, etc.

I live in NYC and have seen 7 podiatrists, including some of the best in the country. No one can give me a straight answer either!! I've had countless X-Rays and MRIs, injections, orthotics, pills, physical therapy, etc and NOTHING has helped! My doctors all seem baffled and become dismissive because it's apparently too difficult to figure out an answer.

Please let me know how you are doing and if you've had any success in treatment! Hope so!

[QUOTE=Laroyena;4082226]I've had chronic throbbing pain in both my feet in the sesamoid area for over seven years, with no hope of it subsiding. The pain isn't debilitating but is still painful, especially when pressed at certain points on both feet. The pain is generally localized on the outside of the big toe (near the side of my foot) and under the balls of my feet (when you press in underneath the big toe).

I have gone to several doctors over the years, with no one willing to give a straight answer. They found that one of my sesamoids in my left foot had split into two and suggested a cast (they said they thought it was a fracture, but I doubt it since I'm in no way an athlete and was only in fifth grade when the pain started). They also found that I only had one sesamoid in my right foot. The pain had always been worse in my left foot than my right, so they decided to try and fix the pain in the left first. After the cast was removed, however, the pain was even worse than it had been before.

Some doctors had suggested surgery, but I'm testy in that area. They didn't suggest it before because I was too young, and I'm not even sure if the pain is really caused by sesamoiditis or not. I've heard that 10-25% of people have bipartite sesamoids, which I feel like is what I have, though why I have pain in the area, I don't know. My family and I are frustrated because the doctors never seem to actively search out a real diagnosis/answer, perhaps because it isn't obvious that I have pain in my feet (I walk a certain way to avoid touching the areas, but it's not that noticeable).

As a high school senior, I don't want this pain infringing on my activities for the rest of the school year. Any suggestions or comments would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

Old 08-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
(male)

pseudoecho HB User
Re: Chronic Sesamoiditis?

Did you see Dr. Novella at all . He is located Central Park South and he actually answered some questions I had for free. Go to his website. I spoke to him for only 5 minutes and I could tell he knew his stuff.

Closed Thread