It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User
OATS Procedure is over

What I know... I have two screws. My talus came from a 26 year old female.

My knee hurts the worst. I don't know if they had my knee twisted during surgery or or what. Actually, I think it's just not the part covered by my nerve block.

Anyhow, I'm kinda dopey. Thanks for the advice and help. I'll probably be needin' more eventually, lol.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User
Re: OATS Procedure is over

Looks like I'll be staying the night again, due to puking. They have the push button pain relief off, in case it's not only morphine that makes me sick but Fentenaol (sp?), also.

Oh and hey, guess what! It hurts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

2ScrewedUp HB User2ScrewedUp HB User

Happy Healing to you. Rest, Rest, Rest & don't forget to use your "HELP" button when needed. Sleep well.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

I'm in so much pain. Way more pain than I had expected.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Jenn,

Hang in there, you are experience what was for me the worst part .. the first few days in the hospital. Don't be afraid to ask for more pain meds if you need them!

It does get better, I promise ....

Kim

Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

akirka HB User

Jenn - this is the only time you listen to people when they tell you to take drugs! Take a lot and don't get behind on it. It will get much better in a few days. Hang in there.

Abby

Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Hang in there. The first few days are killer. Do you have a nerve block? Can they give you another if this one wore off?

Old 09-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

I didn't get the good On-q nerve block, but one that only lasts about 24 hours. I hope that I have my pain in check now, I certainly didn't mean to get behind. I think it was my nerve block wearing off rapidly, and not being prepared for it, that got me into that predicament. I don't know about getting another nerve block, I'll keep that in mind, should I have pain issues like I was having previously.

I'm taking 2 percocet every 6 hours (although, I'm doing more like 5 hours). Then this Vistaril, which is supposed to amp up the percocet. I also started to take ibuprofen, which seemed to be exactly what I needed to get my pain under control.

I go back to my doctor on Friday. I think I'll get a real cast then? I had asked my doctor to take pictures of the procedure and I guess he does, indeed, have some nice gory pictures for me, lol.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Oh that is cool he took pics. I wonder if all docs take pics??? I'd love to see mine.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
(female)

nadnp HB User

I had an OATS of the ankle monday. Today has not been a good day painwise. I have a cryo cuff for icing. How long can I keep it on?

Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnp View Post
I had an OATS of the ankle monday. Today has not been a good day painwise. I have a cryo cuff for icing. How long can I keep it on?

Old 09-24-2009, 06:10 AM   #12
(female)

bumankle HB User

i would keep ice on 15-20 min and do that every hour or so. The first couple weeks are the worst. and yeah - once that nerve block wears off..thats when you really feel the pain. Keep taking your percocet on time...so that you dont feel the pain...or at least the worst of it. I was on percocet for at least 10/11 days....

my doc took pics of my surgery...i remember he showed me afterwards but its all a blur to me...maybe ill ask to see them when i go back in a few weeks. I do have a pic of my 3 screws...its pretty cool. wish i could post it!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
(female)

dbast HB User

Hello all! Now the fun begins for you two. My advise is to ice, elevate and take the pain pills ON TIME! I am almost 6 weeks post OATS. I kept my leg elevated on 5 pillows for a solid 3 weeks. I actually had very little pain, but I followed my Doc's instructions very closley. Take advantage of this time, it's not too often you will be waited on hand and foot!! Good Luck...it does get easier!

Dawn

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Yes, lots of foot elevation and lots of ice. Seems that I have the pain fully under control now. It only starts hurting when it's near my next dose time but that is definitely no where near a painful as it was a few days ago. I have my post-op appointment bright and early tomorrow so when my husband gets home tonight, I'm going to attempt to bathe myself. I haven't bathed since the day of my surgery and am feeling quite funky. This is going to be quite the ordeal since the shower is upstairs. I have my shower chair and the drive, it'll get done, lol.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
(female)

dbast HB User

Bathing is good! LOL It will feel sooo good to take a bath. I wish I was past the bath stage though, I can't wait to take a shower. My Doc don't want me to "soak" my foot until all the scabbing falls off "On It's Own". He described "soak" as I can put my foot under water for 10 - 15 seconds, so no showering yet, but I'm almost there!!l Hope all goes well at the visit tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Dawn

Closed Thread