It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

lizzy35 HB User
Unhappy Lengthening a tendon - anyone?

I had tailor's bunion surgery 3+ years ago and my pinky toe was raised up a little from it. (Post-surgery I asked about physical therapy to bring it down but was told it would come down once I started walking again.) It never did drop down and is now causing problems. I am starting physical therapy tomorrow to address this.

The podiatrist says that if p.t. doesn't work, he can do a "simple" procedure of cutting the tendon to lengthen it and bring the toe down. It will take 5 minutes, use 1 stitch and require maybe a day off work and a surgical shoe for one week.

Has anyone had this procedure done on any of the toes? It doesn't sound so "simple" to me and I am very leery of it.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

hikerpat HB User
Re: Lengthening a tendon - anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzy35 View Post
I had tailor's bunion surgery 3+ years ago and my pinky toe was raised up a little from it. (Post-surgery I asked about physical therapy to bring it down but was told it would come down once I started walking again.) It never did drop down and is now causing problems. I am starting physical therapy tomorrow to address this.

The podiatrist says that if p.t. doesn't work, he can do a "simple" procedure of cutting the tendon to lengthen it and bring the toe down. It will take 5 minutes, use 1 stitch and require maybe a day off work and a surgical shoe for one week.

Has anyone had this procedure done on any of the toes? It doesn't sound so "simple" to me and I am very leery of it.

Thanks for any advice.
The problem is in two words: "cutting" and "lengthen."
Sure hope you did your homework - if you had the procedure done. What this procedure does is cut the tendon so the toe does not lift up. What that means to you is, you will not be able to lift the toe after the procedure.
I was one of those who took the DPM's words as Gospel, when I was told he would "lengthen" the tendon in my right great toe. There is no such thing. If the tendon were "lengthened", it would tear, probably at its insertion. I have been left (almost 5 years now) not being able to lift, not only the great toe but, all the other toes on that foot.
Sure hope you were not as gullible as I was!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread