It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
(female)

summerluvr HB User
2nd bunion surgery, (other foot) chevron procedure

I'm had my left foot done last year (severe bunion, Lapidus procedure) and I'm now getting my right foot done October 14/09. Right foot is not as bad, though it has hammertoe the angle is only 12 degrees. Since the right foot isn't as bad Dr. told me there will be only one incision but I will have a pin and not screws like last time. He is doing a chevron procedure. Part of the reason to do it now even though it is not so bad is to prevent it getting as bad as left foot and requiring extensive correction.

For anyone who has had the chevron procedure what was your recovery like?

(Keep in mind I've already had a Lapidus which is quite a big operation including fusion and tendon repair. My dr. is the school that believes walking on it as tolerated is better so I was weight bearing as tolerated immediately after in the surgical shoe)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
(male)

Jrtfoot HB User
Re: 2nd bunion surgery, (other foot) chevron procedure

I had a chevron 4 weeks ago. I am walking very carefully on it with just a small wrap in the house. If i go out i need a walking boot. I only take advil (a couple times daily).
The first couple weeks were painful but the pain meds took plenty care of that. If you take any narcotic make sure you take a laxative. I had serious constipation then I started taking 1 exlax every other day.
it gets easier and easier to move around by the day although my foot still has nerve pain that i hope will calm down over the recovery. hope this helps. any other question let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
(female)

BUNIONPAIN HB User

Hello summerluvr, I was wondering where you are located. I had the lapidus procedure done three times now and I am in extreme pain and can not walk at all really. My toes do not touch the ground and I limp all the time. I was just wondering who your doctor and how your foot is now. Can you walk bare foot, without pain, in shoes with out pain, can you wear heels, do your toes touch the ground. I am just wondering why my surgery turned out so badly.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
(female)

summerluvr HB User

I am in Toronto Canada. I am very happy with my outcome.

My toes work well. I lost some mobility, but hypermobility was one of the reasons the bunion got so bad. I feel like my toes are relaxed on the "fixed foot" when I walk, where as my other foot has hammertoes, and overlapping first and second toe and it always feels like they're cramping up. No pain at the fusion (by the ankle) unless I wear too flat of shoes like flip flops for too long. It fully fused after about 6 months. I get some burning pain around where the bunion was sometimes when the side of my foot rubs on shoes. walking barefoot is fine, zero pain.

I can wear wedge heals a few inches high, but usually not two days in a row. (my work shoes) but I am getting there, I was never a big heal wearer anyway.

I would say it took at least a year to fully recover. I had the procedure May 08, and January 09 was still have a bit of pain at the fusion, and stiff toe. (noticeable when snowboarding, or working out on eliptical etc.)

Last edited by summerluvr; 10-06-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Closed Thread