It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
(female)

ajshaw HB User
I broke my ankle... first such injury.

Hello - I'm 31 years old and have my first broken bone. The pain hasn't been that bad, but this cast is about to make my insane! I must have foot claustraphobia or something.

I broke my ankle very early in the morning on 9/8 and it was put in a splint by the ER doctor. On 9/11 the ortho put a hard cast on it and told me to begin weaning myself off of crutches right away and she'd take the thing off in ten days. It's been 13 days and my appointment is for later this afternoon.

I had to learn how to use crutches at the same time I was supposed to be weaning myself off of them. Does this make sense to anyone? I couldn't even imagine, let alone attempt, putting any weight on that leg until day nine.

Everyone I know is shocked when I tell them that it's time for the cast to come off already. I just assume it's a small break. Neither the ER doctors nor my ortho bothered to show me my x-rays and discuss so I have no idea...

Just yesterday I got it to where I can walk with one crutch, but it gets painful after a short time and of course I move very slow. My cast goes from just below my toes up to a few inches below my knee. I guess there are different sizes, so maybe that'll help someone understand.

Anyway - it's just my first injury like this and I'm curious if this treatment is normal or what to expect next. She mentioned I'd get a "boot" and might have that on for about another four weeks or so. This will be something removable, right? I can shower again?! And shave my entire leg, right? I've been showering in the tub with my right leg hanging out.

I realize I'll have some of these answers this afternoon after my appointment, but I really just wanted some real-world, real-humans to share their experiences and give me an honest outlook of what to expect.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by ajshaw; 09-23-2009 at 10:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: I broke my ankle... first such injury.

Hopefully your appointment went well. You absolutely have the right to see the x-rays and learn about the type of injury that you have. With the boot, you can remove it for showering and such, and you can shave your leg. Other than that, it's mostly like a cast.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

cj1986 HB User

The boot is sooooo much better. Takes a while to get used to walking in it, but at least you can take it off and scratch your leg. Sometimes doctors don't even cast breaks, so I'm not surprised by your course of treatment. I just had surgery where the cut my calf muscle, and was only in a cast a week, and was told to start walking right away with the boot. At first, I thought they were crazy. I couldn't put any pressure on it at all, and got very discouraged. After a day or two, I forced myself to do it, and by that afternoon my walking ability had improved a great deal, and every day just improved so much more. Just to say that sometimes you need to push through the initial pain, and you'll be glad you did. Regardless, if you have concerns, speak with your doctor. As far as the crutches... I wouldn't necessarily lose one of them. I would walk with both, but add more pressure to your foot. Like use them to assist you, without being dependent. Hope that makes sense.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

ajshaw HB User

Thank you for the replies!

She did give me a big fancy expensive boot with a little air pump in it so we can get more support to my ankle. I'm still swollen and all shades of brusied, but it is getting better. The night my cast came off and the next day (yesterday) were the most painful to-date. But this morning, I used the crutches to get from my bed to the bathroom and have been walking around (slowly and cautiously) sans crutches since.

CJ - yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm trying to use the crutches now more just to help me balance or to support me if I feel uneasy or anything, but am definitely putting weight on the "affected leg".

She expects the boot to be worn for three weeks and then she wants to take that off and get my into physical therapy. That will be five weeks after the injury.

Thanks again for replying to me! It's just an awkward time for me and I appreciate your support.

CJ - cut into your calf?! OUCH! What did you do, or what was your injury?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
(female)

ajshaw HB User

Oh - I'm walking on it today and it hurts like heck! She wouldn't put me in a walking cast and tell me to walk if my ankle wasn't ready, I'm sure. I just need to walk through the pain and it *should* be ok, don't you think? As long as I don't get carried away, I won't injure it again, right? I again thank you for your advice and suggestions!

Closed Thread