It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
(female)

kimmersue72 HB User
Tarsal Coalition Questions?

My 12 year old son just found out the other day that he has tarsal coalition of his feet. the doctor he is seeing wants to try the injections first? Can somebody please tell me if it would be best to do one at a time or both at the same time? is there any pain afterwards?, and if they do both at the same time will he be able to walk in both walking boots?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

patient007 HB User
Re: Tarsal Coalition Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmersue72 View Post
My 12 year old son just found out the other day that he has tarsal coalition of his feet. the doctor he is seeing wants to try the injections first? Can somebody please tell me if it would be best to do one at a time or both at the same time? is there any pain afterwards?, and if they do both at the same time will he be able to walk in both walking boots?
If they are doing steriod injections my experience was that I was able to walk without any problems. I did do both feet at the same time and the pain releif for me was unbelievable.

Good luck

Patient007

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

kimmersue72 HB User

We ended up having just one foot done to see how the injections worked, well they did not and he is now facing surgery. My question is what all does the surgery consist of? what is the recovery time? and do they have to have physical therapy after this surgery?
Thanks.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

patient007 HB User

I just had my second foot done. They did my surgery with a nerve block to numb my leg from the knee down and then sedation. If you do a surch on google you can find pictures of the surgery.

Expect to be non weight bearing for 3 weeks minimum. I can't use crutches so I rented a Knee Walker from a medical supply store.
http://www.kneewalker.net/?gclid=COfepZ6g9J0CFQYMDQodwE1zJQ
Your doctor may have the foot in a boot for a few weeks.

I have seem some people post that they were in a lot of pain after. I have not found this to be true in my case so I guess it is different for each person. This may have to do with if there are other complications such as a cyst to remove also.

So far I have not had any therapy for my right foot but I have seen post where others have had it. I am stretching & doing some other exercises for my right foot. It had some problems with the incission staying closed so I did not get my stitches out at 10 days, but at 3 weeks and then had steril strips on for another week.

If you do the surgey follow the doctors instructions to the letter to aid in recovery. Plan to be inactive for about 4 weeks. Surch the web to get as much information as you can to see other peoples experiences and what helped them.

Good Luck

Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
(female)

Momof123 HB User

Quote:
Hello there,
My daughter will be 10 this Sept. About a year ago she began experiencing pain, in one ankle/foot. After thinking it was a sprain etc, she both feet became swollen and painful. Soon, she lost the ability to point her feet and the side to side motion. We are now at a place that a decision needs to be made. Please share your story. I realize this post was a year ago. THANKS!

Old 07-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
(female)

Momof123 HB User

Hello there,
My daughter will be 10 this Sept. About a year ago she began experiencing pain, in one ankle/foot. After thinking it was a sprain etc, she both feet became swollen and painful. Soon, she lost the ability to point her feet and the side to side motion. We are now at a place that a decision needs to be made. Please share your story. I realize this post was a year ago. THANKS!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

patient007 HB User

Quote:
The shots do not hurt, they are done with a very fine needle and they numb the foot for a few hours. If they work as they did for me I was pain free for weeks. But the pain returned. You do not get a boot for the shots.

If you do the surgery you can only do 1 foot at a time because you cannot put weight on the foot for 3 weeks. This is when you would be in the boot. I did my feet 1st sept 27 and second Nov 7 then back to work Dec 7. They did a nerve block behind the knee which kept me pain free for about 30 hours after surgery, I couldn't even wiggle my toes. After that it is sore, it is a long recovery and it does hurt when you start walking on it again.

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
(female)

Momof123 HB User

Hi there! I am so sorry to hear all of this. My daughter is showing signs of having tarsal coal. Her problems started with swelling on one foot/aknle, then slowly the other started with pain and swelling. With more activity it all worsens! We are waiting for her CT and see where we are. Can you please give more background to your story? Why shots? When did problems arise? Surgery? Level? Etc.... THANK YOU SO MUCH! Soon we will need to be making our decisions. She has also lost the ability to point her feet and the back and forth motion.

WOrried mom!

Closed Thread