It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
(male)

Jrtfoot HB User
Bunion AFTER bunion surgery

OK I may be a bit paranoid. its 5 weeks after my bunion surgery and my toe doesnt look as straight as it did right after surgery. it looks as if the toe is drifting back. anyone have this happen?

Old 09-26-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Bunion AFTER bunion surgery

Yes, I did have this happen after my bunionectomy in 2007. I was shocked and horrified when I saw that my toe was drifting back over.

However, one visit to the os made me feel alright again. It turned out the toe wasn't truly moving over. The X-ray showed the bones were in perfect alignment. What I was seeing was all of the swelling in the soft tissue giving the appearance that it was "crooked" again.

Now, two years later, I can assure you my toe is still straight!

Good luck to you! I hope things turn out the same for you! Keep posting!

Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

summerluvr HB User

i thought that happened to me too, but my Dr. left it on a slight angle beause "that's how women's shoes are". He said if he made it perfectly straight I'd be back in to see him asking him to fix that. (i think there are stories on here about people being over corrected).

Old 09-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
(female)

gillybe HB User

Seven weeks after surgery and to be honest I thought exactly the same after expecting my toe to be completely straight. But after a visit to my chiropedist last week I have been told that my op was a near perfect example to how it should be done. My surgeon had made my big toe look similar to the other one (which also is slightly angled) so of course I would not have 'odd' feet.
I was also concerned about the swelling, which can get quite bad towards the end of the day, and she said that this was why it maybe did not look quite 'right', and I was not to worry at all, as this was the healing process. Could take up to 12 months or more to get it right.

I think that those of us who are in the early weeks of post surgery will just have to be very patient.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
(female)

apj56 HB User

I thought my big toe was moving also, but x-ray showed it wasn't. I have another problem - would like to hear from anyone who has had the same.

I'm 9 weeks post surgery for bunion and morton nueroma. I don't know the medical terms of what was done, but a "V" was cut into the big toe joint and a permanent pin inserted for stability. Also the nerve was cut between the 3rd & 4th toe (morton's nueroma). My swelling of the whole foot is getting worse. It now involves the ankle and lower calf. My ankles seem to hurt as much as the ball of my foot. The swelling of the ankle and calf started when I tried to force myself to walk normal without compensating for the pain. My x-rays show everything has healed, but my swelling is worse than a month ago. The doctor doesn't know why this is happening except to say I'm a slow healer. YOU THINK! I'm barely getting around and it's always with pain & swelling. Has this happened to anyone?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 AM   #6
(female)

gillybe HB User

11 weeks after surgery and the improvement is continuing. My foot is not so swollen at the end of the day now, and the foot is begining to look really good, be it very slowly.
I still get a little stiffness in the big toe now and again, especially if I have been on my feet or walking for a period of time, but this is not bothering me too much.
I am now wearing 'normal' shoes and boots most of the time at last, and can wear high heels for short periods. But I still continue to wear my splint on my big toe while I am sleeping at night, as it keeps the toe straight and hopefully it will minimise the chance of the toe 'migrating' back.
Overall I am very pleased with the result. I have no pain now, my toes no longer rub together and bleed, as they were before, and the the scars are neat and fading nicely.
I am really glad I had the op done..

Closed Thread