It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Post Mixed Feelings About Round 2 (pttd)

Well, not sure what to say or feel. Foot swells a lot more on the top. So they said that I may need a compression sock in two weeks if that doesn't change. College has been swell. I really have gotten into it up here. I hate the stares and the battles with the bus drivers but I get by. I haven't really reported because well it's more of the same thing. The incisions look much better this time around. I support the skin glue over steri strips. I still have a lot of dead skin after my first good soak and the new skin under is uber tender so I haven't really finished my shedding. It sucks. I have no idea if I should use lotion or soak more. I have more range of motion than I did first out of my cast so that's a plus. I have a good back and forth but very slow and no side to side. The doc said I had a blood blister on my heel, which if you ever get the heel ulceration it looks semi blue underwater. Kinda freaky. It is healing though. So I'm to be PWB, no PT yet maybe for the more advanced recovery but I gotta get the ball rolling. I just wish I could shave my legs and cut my toenails and walk the walk.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User
Re: Mixed Feelings About Round 2 (pttd)

Hey WorldWalker,

Sounds like you're doing pretty darn good for yourself! Round 2. Sheesh, you should be patting yourself on the back for what you've been through. I'm so happy that this one is over (the super hard part) and that it wasn't worse than the first.

As for the shedding - soak, pumice stone (very gently!), vitamin E oil is what worked for me. It seems like it took forever, but it was probably just a few weeks. Oh, and shaving is so overrated. At least I kept telling myself that.

I bet you like having your own place without sharing space with mom! It's good to hear from you. I hope the recovery continues to go well. Those little struggles you have will start to slip away as the weeks progress and by this time next year, you'll be dancing to class.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2009, 05:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Hi World Walker!

I have been following your story for a while now. I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Just think - you are better than halfway through the entire process now that you are recovering from the second surgery.

Shaving your legs is overrated! At least the weather is getting cooler, so you will be wearing pants and not shorts or capris.

Keep up the good work!

Step

Old 09-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

SoCal a pumice stone sounds awfully scary! I'm glad everyone feels shaving is overrated though.

I'm glad to get support from you guys still. I put vaseline on every night and then put my sock on which has helped a lot. The heel will probably be the last part to shed away but I'm in no rush and I cover it with a band aid which helps. PWB feels good so far and a lot more weight this time around. It's a bit scary. I'll be happy when I can just walk in the boot. I think a lot about the things I'll do when I get better, like take a rock climbing/dance/horse back riding class. I also think when I heal up more I'm going to paint my nails. The scars look less frankensteinish this time around and well that's good. I'm not sure what else to say. Oh it feels good to have an air cast which is more medical looking than a blue cast that matches my jeans and makes it look like I'm fine. Also I've been reminded to keep elevating which I forget so even if you know what to expect the second time around remember to still go toes above the nose as people say on the boards.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User

Hey WorldWalker,

I'm curious, how are you going to get a horse to rock climb while you're dancing on its back?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

two words: suction cups.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Good for you that things are better. I agree about the shaving thing. I used vitamin E oil several times a day and it made a big difference on the lizard legs. Partial weight bearing !!!! You are on your way to a fantastic life.
Walleye

Old 10-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
(female)

WorldWalker HB User

Ok so update here: That Heel ulceration I mentioned is falling off!! Most of it is just hanging on by a dime sized part that hasn't healed but it is freaking me out! Most of the blood underneath the skin is dry and fell off but that dime sized part wont give and I'm not about to pull it right before my doctor appointment on Wed. I am afraid they'll give it a tug...in which case I will cry. I've covered it with a bandaid and put more vaselie on it because I have no neosporin. I hope it doesn't ache. I'm afraid to walk in case it'll tear. You guys should have seen me put on a sock.

Closed Thread