It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

evre HB User
big toes fusion

What is the recovery time for big toe fusion surgery

Old 09-26-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: big toes fusion

Wow...all depends on how extensive the surgery is - are they using a steel plate? And what do you mean by "recovery?" When you can jog, wear heels or just walk normally? There are lots of theads on here about fusions. It seems it can be 8 weeks to several months. What does your surgeon say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
(female)

nanasita HB User

6 months is the average recovery time

Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

It is nice to see that others have had or are considering this surgery. I have some of the same questions, and posted a thread as well.

If 6 months is the average recovery time, I am assuming I won't be curling at all this season if I have the surgery in October. Am I right? It is my right foot, and I am right handed. That means my right foot goes behind me in a lunge position when I throw the rock.

What are people's experiences with footwear after the surgery? Right now even the "comfortable" shoes are not totally good. I have some wonderful Keen hikers, and still cannot go for walks without consequence.

How is your gait following surgery. I am experiencing some hip pain, probably because of my foot. I do not want that to be worse. My GP suggested that the lack of pain in my foot will mean my hip will be better. Is this your experience?

Will I get to set off the alarms in the airport when I have the plate in my foot?

I am sure I have a lot more questions. It really is nice to see so many posts on this subject. I decided to go straight to fusion, partly because the Dr recommended that over cheilectomy and partly because I do not want to have to undergo more surgeries than necessary. I imagine I will be having the surgery in October. As the date gets closer, I am both anxious to get this done, and anxious about it. It is pretty dramatic.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
(female)

macm 79 HB User

i too need a fusion and i too suffer hippain as a result of poor posture due to poorly foot. i'm having my fusion done nv 17th and m terrified, am very interested to know how u get on x

Old 10-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

[QUOTE=macm 79;4093830]i too need a fusion and i too suffer hippain as a result of poor posture due to poorly foot. i'm having my fusion done nv 17th and m terrified, [/QUOTE]

I was able to talk to someone who had his toe fused two years ago. It was hugely helpful. At the same time, it is very scary. I am still trying to find out when I will be having the surgery. I am afraid I will only get a week or two notice. It is very frustrating.

The man I spoke to said that his hip pain is all gone now, and even some lower back pain is improving.

[QUOTE]am very interested to know how u get on x[/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
(female)

macm 79 HB User

not sure why my post has apeared as two posts, it was all done in one go?? i meant i am interestaed to know how yr op goes etc. thanks fr your reply. although i am in a considerable amont of discomfort with my foot my hip and back are suffering more at present its nice to kow that someone else has benefitted from the urgey, gives me some more optimism, although i am worried abou the recovery as i have 4 children who are all still at school!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
(male)

danny1957 HB User

i did chielectomy, did'nt help, did implant was worse! now need fusion. but have to add bone because of the implant.

Closed Thread