It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User
Cast and Bruising Questions

I had my cast put on last Friday. It never felt too tight and now it seems too loose. I can move my ankle joint and the cast is loose enough to where I feel it sort of jiggle while I crutch around. The splint I was in previously was tighter. I will probably have my husband run me over to the clinic and have one of the nurses check it out but in the mean time, I'd love to know if you think this is normal or not. I have never had a cast.

Now my cast only goes half way up my shin. My splint after surgery was a lot taller. Anyhow, I noticed today that I have a HUGE bruise developing on the top half of my shin. I didn't have the type of OATS procedure that harvested cartilage from my knee or anything. Anyhow, I was wondering if this is something that has happened to you. Of course, I'll most likely be seeing my doctor's nurse (or doctor himself) tomorrow, and will ask them about it.

As for me, it will be a week on Monday since I had the surgery. The last couple days have been great, pain wise. Meaning, I'm taking LOADS of pain medication and was pain free, lol. Today, though, we went out to eat. Between that and the car ride there and back, I'm in a lot of pain. Pain pills, ibuprofen, elevation and ice aren't doing the trick. I have noone to blame but myself for the pain. However, I hope the pain isn't because of my possible loose cast.

Sorry for the oxycodone induced ramblings, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Re: Cast and Bruising Questions

I had surgery in August and was in a surgical splint that came up to my knee, but never needed an actual fiberglass cast, so I'm not quite sure how it should feel. My guess, is that your leg may have been swollen when they put it on, and after the swelling decreased, there was extra space. I'd wait to see your doctor about it if you're seeing him anyways. That way if it needs to be recasted, he'll oversee it.

As far as the bruising... my surgery just involved a small 1-2" incision on the back of my calf, not quite half way up. A day or two after surgery I started developing a weird bruise on the inside of my leg, just below the knee. Surprisingly, at a month and a half out from surgery, I can still see it. Our best guess was that perhaps my leg was strapped down during surgery. I always forgot to ask my doctor about it.

Good Luck

Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Thanks.

I didn't see the doctor today but do plan on sneaking my way into there tomorrow. My cast is even more loose now. I can move my ankle joint all over, if I so wanted. I don't know if I should be able to do that or not.

Now my bruise is all the way around my leg. Very strange.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Jennafur - I bet you had a tourniquet around your leg and that's why you have a bruise. Was your surgery below the bruise?

~ Jill

Old 09-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jah763 View Post
Jennafur - I bet you had a tourniquet around your leg and that's why you have a bruise. Was your surgery below the bruise?

~ Jill
Yes, and the thought did cross my mind. However, the first and only thing that hurt me for several hours, after the surgery, was above my knee, where there obviously was a tourniquet, due to the indention that stayed there for almost a full day. I don't remember seeing or feeling anything below my knee, but then again, I had the nerve block and lots and lots of drugs going through me, lol. But another thing, which is weird, is that the bruise is different looking, all the way around my leg. It also isn't very even, which also makes me think it might not have been a tourniquet. I sure wish we could post pictures, I'd show you all.

I will definitely be visiting the doctor tomorrow. I'll find out more then, for sure.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennafur HB User

Well, the doctor said that my cast wasn't too loose but I managed to get him to change it anyway. It being loose like that bothered my incision.

He also said the bruising was normal.

My incision looks awful though. It's bright red, hard, and has these itchy puss bumps all around it. The doctor said that was normal too. I'm not buying that. I have an appointment next Monday for a cast change... I'll be more snotty about the incision issue at that time, should it not look any better.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
(female)

bumankle HB User

btw..im 6 months post surgery and i still have the itchy puss bumps on the my scar. it comes and goes. it was so dry i was itching it last week and i think i just irritated it too much and it turned into a little rash type thing. i have really sensitive skin though. after surgery i had a lot of those all up my leg too...just from being in the splint/boot, etc...its normal

Closed Thread