It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #1
(female)

ajshaw HB User
In ortho-boot, big toe hurts! HELP

Hello,

I have a broken ankle and had the cast removed last Wednesday and now I have this "boot" that goes from my toes to almost my knee. I am unsure how to explain what I'm going through, but I hope someone reads this, has experienced this, and can advise me how to make it go away:

When I try to sleep at night, my big toe starts to feel like it's "falling asleep" and then it hurts, bad! I wake up in so much pain only an hour after I doze off and then I'm up for the rest of the night, about every hour, writhing in pain. Sometimes it's almost completely in the big toe, and sometimes it spreads to the bottom of my foot as well. It's a pain I've never experienced before.

My first reaction is to consider that I don't have enough circulation. So I release all air from the cast so there is none and I loosen the straps probably more than I should.

I'm on my sixth night of not being able to sleep because of this and I wonder if it makes any sense to anyone or if anyone has experienced this and maybe found a way to position the leg/foot to make it go away. I've tried sleeping on my left side, right side, back... I have had a pillow under the foot, no pillow, a pillow under the knee... I can't figure out how to make this stop.

I'm someone who gets and needs 8-9 hours of sleep every single night. I'm barely able to focus on my computer screen right now, let alone keep my head up... and I'm at work!

Does anyone have any advice?

THANK YOU!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #2
(female)

daligoddess HB User
Re: In ortho-boot, big toe hurts! HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshaw View Post
Hello,

I have a broken ankle and had the cast removed last Wednesday and now I have this "boot" that goes from my toes to almost my knee. I am unsure how to explain what I'm going through, but I hope someone reads this, has experienced this, and can advise me how to make it go away:

When I try to sleep at night, my big toe starts to feel like it's "falling asleep" and then it hurts, bad! I wake up in so much pain only an hour after I doze off and then I'm up for the rest of the night, about every hour, writhing in pain. Sometimes it's almost completely in the big toe, and sometimes it spreads to the bottom of my foot as well. It's a pain I've never experienced before.

My first reaction is to consider that I don't have enough circulation. So I release all air from the cast so there is none and I loosen the straps probably more than I should.

I'm on my sixth night of not being able to sleep because of this and I wonder if it makes any sense to anyone or if anyone has experienced this and maybe found a way to position the leg/foot to make it go away. I've tried sleeping on my left side, right side, back... I have had a pillow under the foot, no pillow, a pillow under the knee... I can't figure out how to make this stop.

I'm someone who gets and needs 8-9 hours of sleep every single night. I'm barely able to focus on my computer screen right now, let alone keep my head up... and I'm at work!

Does anyone have any advice?

THANK YOU!!!

My daughter has a mystery foot pain/disease and she has been in a boot since January 20111. The doctors cannot figure out hat is wrong with her big toe. I searched the internet and found and read your post and was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with yours? I am waiting patiently for your reply. Thank you!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
(female)

shelgibb HB User
Re: In ortho-boot, big toe hurts! HELP

My brother is currently wearing 2 air boots as he has broken both his heels. He is also experiencing toe pain, but he put it down to the fact he had surgery for a different accident years ago and had metal screws put in his big toe.
Maybe its just the same as ur describing and nothing to do with his previous op, but he finds that taking his boots off throughout the day for small periods at a time seems to help. At one point the pains were quite unbearable which is why he started to take the boot off more.
Hope it gets better soon.

Closed Thread