It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Fusion - MTP joint

This is my first post in here after some surfing. I know there are some threads about fusions of the 1st MTP joint in here. I did read through a few. I noticed that the ones I found seem old. Some people in them would have had their surgery a while ago. I am interested to hear how life is post-fusion.

I saw the orthopaedic surgeon at the beginning of June. He told me my two options were cheilectomy and fusion. He felt that if the cheilectomy worked, it may only last a year and that fusion would eliminate 99% of the pain, and be permanent. I was dumbfounded at the time because I thought there was an option in the middle of these two procedures. He suggested I come back in a couple of weeks, after some research and ask him some questions. I spoke with my GP, and a physio, as well as did a lot of reading. I came to understand and accept that fusion is my best option. I signed the consent papers in the end of June, and anticipate a surgery date in October.

As the time nears, I find myself over-thinking a bit. The idea of a non-moving joint is a little freaky. It is ironic, since the OA has caused enough damage so that the joint has little range of motion now. And almost any movement is painful. It is fine if I do not walk, wear Birkenstocks or totally baby it. That is not how I want to live. And as much as I love Birks, they are totally impractical in the winters here when we get -30C temps!

I'd love to hear (read) some personal experiences with this surgery. I understand some people can wear heels up to 1 1/2 to 2" high post surgery. That would be a huge improvement because ANY heel causes me grief. I have been curling the last couple of years. I am guessing that if I have the surgery in October, I can kiss the curling season goodbye.....it is my right foot.

What kinds of shoes do you wear now? What is your activity level? Etc. I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

Cath 5 HB User
Re: Fusion - MTP joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
This is my first post in here after some surfing. I know there are some threads about fusions of the 1st MTP joint in here. I did read through a few. I noticed that the ones I found seem old. Some people in them would have had their surgery a while ago. I am interested to hear how life is post-fusion.

I saw the orthopaedic surgeon at the beginning of June. He told me my two options were cheilectomy and fusion. He felt that if the cheilectomy worked, it may only last a year and that fusion would eliminate 99% of the pain, and be permanent. I was dumbfounded at the time because I thought there was an option in the middle of these two procedures. He suggested I come back in a couple of weeks, after some research and ask him some questions. I spoke with my GP, and a physio, as well as did a lot of reading. I came to understand and accept that fusion is my best option. I signed the consent papers in the end of June, and anticipate a surgery date in October.

As the time nears, I find myself over-thinking a bit. The idea of a non-moving joint is a little freaky. It is ironic, since the OA has caused enough damage so that the joint has little range of motion now. And almost any movement is painful. It is fine if I do not walk, wear Birkenstocks or totally baby it. That is not how I want to live. And as much as I love Birks, they are totally impractical in the winters here when we get -30C temps!

I'd love to hear (read) some personal experiences with this surgery. I understand some people can wear heels up to 1 1/2 to 2" high post surgery. That would be a huge improvement because ANY heel causes me grief. I have been curling the last couple of years. I am guessing that if I have the surgery in October, I can kiss the curling season goodbye.....it is my right foot.

What kinds of shoes do you wear now? What is your activity level? Etc. I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks
Hi,

I quite understand how you are feeeling although I only had the fusion eleven days ago so my toe is still in plaster.
An old chap did mine who said he had never done an operation like I had before, this makes me a bit confused of the outcome.

I am rather annoyed that the broken bone in my big toe was not spotted nine years ago, after tripping on a pothole, where we then lived.
My ankle became swollen as they did find I had broken a bone in the ankle but never spotted the broken big toe.

It wasn't until the following year did I decide to find what was wrong after my big toe started to separate from the next toe. At that time the same surgeon who sorted out my ankle did tell me to have an operation, otherwise the toe would turn around. Not only did I not trust the surgeon for not spotting the breakage the year before, also I have had quite a few ops so decided to wait to get a second opinion from a great chap who has been sorting out my fingers, he has been on the TV etc. The following two weeks he told me not to get it done, I did think at first he was just trying to be kind but the nurses confirmed he would tell the truth. The following year another consultant stood in for him as he was away. I asked this chap who also agreed with his partner that it was best to leave the toe.
Four years had passed when we moved further south and where I tripped hurting the toe again, but not badly, the toe by now had moved around to 10pm. I attended a private clinic and told the surgeon all, he also advised me to leave it. I was advised to get clinical shoes to wear which took two years before getting the correct fitting.

This year, after nine years, the toe had turned to 4pm and my other toes on the same foot were also beginning to turn, something I hadn't been told would happen.
By now I became concerned and the chap who sorted out my shoes advised me to see a consultant. I reminded him of what had happened in the past but he reassured me that things had changed by now.

I saw the consultant at the end of August when he advised me to have a fusion, mentioning that he would put a plate in between the toes and that I wouldn't be able to wear high heel shoes. This was done a week last Wednesday, so I am now at the time of wondering what the outcome will be.

Just a warning for all do mind where you walk.

Cath 5

Closed Thread