It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Gastroc Slide Help- Please

I had a gastroc recession (aka slide, lengthening, etc) about 7 weeks ago. I've healed quite well and am experiencing very little pain. Some cramping/soreness occassionally, but not bad at all. I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and he said the incision looks good, flexibility is great, and to just keep working on strengthening it as its still pretty weak. He said still no running, but biking was ok, and some elliptical should be ok. Yesterday I biked for 15 minutes and did the elliptical for 5 minutes... both very lightly, and all of a sudden I'm noticing a slight bulge just below my incision, slightly to the inside of my leg. Its about the size (width) of a raquetball. It doesn't hurt, but feels hard/tight and then very soft/loose right above it, almost caving in a little bit. I'm calling the surgeon tomorrow but being an hour and a half away I dont know when the soonest I can see him is. Does anyone have any advice/comments/etc?????? He did mention prior to surgery that muscle budging was a side effect/risk, but said not to really be concerned about it. I'm freaking out here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: Gastroc Slide Help- Please

I found this info on what might be happening:

"Tethering of the skin

The skin incision may become adherent to the tissue overlying the calf muscle (fascia). This can cause tethering of the skin when the calf muscle moves. Often deep massage to this area early in the post-operative period can break up these adhesions."

It might be a good idea to find out quickly from your doctor what's going on so you can take care of it sooner, rather than later when it might be too late. Don't freak out - won't do you any good. I'm sure you'll be fine. You gotta think positive thoughts!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: Gastroc Slide Help- Please

A little more info:

Scar Massage

Indications: Who should undergo scar massage?

Patients who have under gone surgery or suffered a cut on their foot may benefit from scar massage. Scar massage may be most beneficial in patients who are developing an exuberant (hypertrophic scar); have tethering of the underlying tissues to the skin; or where there is evidence of a nerve that is entrapped in a healing wound. It is critical that scar massage not be started until basic wound healing has occurred (usually a minimum of 3-4 weeks post-surgery) or else there is a chance that the wound will open up.

How is it done?
Gently rub the wound in a circular manner. Move back and forth across the wound. It may be helpful to apply a vitamin E based cream to make the massaging easier. It is helpful to gradually try and move the skin away from the underlying tissue. Consider massaging for 5-10 minutes per day. Stop if there is any evidence of wound breakdown or if symptoms are significantly aggravated.

Closed Thread