It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #121
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Ankle Joint Distraction Surgery Anyone?

Do we have any fixators off yet? It's been quiet.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #122
(male)

johnnymo HB Userjohnnymo HB User

LOL We are at T Minus and counting. I'm waiting for HSS to call and tell me what time I need to be to the ball tomorrow morning. I'm concerned as I feel I may have a little tendinitis setting in. i also feel the ankle is kinking or catching being I have been full weight bearing the last few weeks. I know this will be ups and downs. I'd be curious to see one last xray pre removal. Do they do that? Or even post removal before I go home tomorrow? How much discomfort should I expect? I believe Connor is Wednesday. I'll keep you all posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #123
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

So this is the big week!

THey just used the flouriscope with me during the removal surgery. I was asleep, but did see the pics at the follow-up appt. Kim will better know the policies at HSS as mine was done in Baltimore.

As for pain. It was nothing. We were going to stay in Baltimore that day and night per the Dr. C's recommendation and instead my husband threw me in the car saying we'd save money on the hotel room and drove me home. I didn't take any pain meds after I woke up, but did demand a milkshake at the first stop.

My shin was the most sore, but compared to getting the dang thing on, this was a piece of cake. The real fun is when you try and walk on it. I was told to be NWB for a few weeks (?) I don't remember except for my PT had me NWB for about 2 mos.

Good luck! You will be so happy to have it off!!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #124
(male)

kiltic HB User

My surgery will be friday. I cant wait, that is a fact!! lol
John is tomorrow? Good luck, man. Let me know how it goes. I really hope I will be able to walk on it sooner than 2 months, oh man.
I hope all is well with everybody.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #125
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

Guys,

No, no xrays before or after ... you'll go into the first floor waiting room, then put into the lovely inflatable gown and the iv is done. Dr. R (or F) will come by and say hi and the next thing you know you'll wake up in recovery with a boot on. I felt great when I woke up, it was just the 6 hours or so later the pain started a bit but NOTHING like getting it on.

You'll have to keep the bandages on for 2-3 days, no showers and then you are free to take the bandages off and shower. The boot has to stay on though and while I wasn't told NWB, there wasn't anyway I could put weight on it, so I worked my way to WB when I could.

Remember though, you guys have been able to put weight on it with the fixators on which Kris and I couldn't do, so maybe you'll be better able to do it after the removal.

Good luck and please let us know when you are metal free!

Kim

The Following User Says Thank You to kimberp For This Useful Post:
johnnymo (02-07-2011)
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #126
(male)

Can't sleep, I'm getting Stockholm Syndrome with the frame!!!!! My sister is picking me up in a few hours. I walked a lot on the crutches yesterday and I am sore!!! lol Have to keep reminding myself results are 6 months away. PT and hopefully Golf soon!!! I'll touch base with everyone when I'm 6mm shorter. refrain from the jokes please!!!

John

Old 02-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #127
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck John! You'll be golfing in no time!

My dr. told me results are in 9-12 mos time though, so don't get discouraged if it hurts when you first try and walk.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #128
(male)

kiltic HB User

Go get 'em, man! I am right behind you! Please refrain from the jokes on that one as well.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #129
(male)

Free At Last Free At Last Thank............

Kim, you described the game plan to a T. All went well. Boot , weight bearing as tolerated. Took one hell of nap. Tenderness not noticeable no discomfort. We will see how this plays out. Thank you all for the continued support. Connor I was in OR at 9 AM and discharged 11:40!!!!

I need sleep!!!

Old 02-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #130
(male)

kiltic HB User

Dude, that's great!! Let me know about putting weight on it when you feel up to it. Are you back on narcotics? I really don't want to go back on them if at all possible. I am really happy for you, man. Have a great sleep, you have most certainly earned it!!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #131
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltic View Post
Dude, that's great!! Let me know about putting weight on it when you feel up to it. Are you back on narcotics? I really don't want to go back on them if at all possible. I am really happy for you, man. Have a great sleep, you have most certainly earned it!!
Connor,

I walked in the hospital on crutches and went up and down stairs. The boot is odd its rounded and you don't flex the ankle the way you have been. Dr. Rozbruch explained to me that the bone with the holes is slightly weakened as are the tendons on the side of your foot. The boot lends support for a few weeks until both strengthen. I feel fine without the boot a little tender from my long walk yesterday! I can tell without measuring or seeing(you are ace bandaged for 2 days) the range of motion is there. The sign will be weight without the boot! PT is stretching and bike riding . I have to stretch every day due to the Cipro. Dr. R wants me on it another 4 days. I'm cleaning my golf clubs tomorrow!! LOL A journey ahead and no pain meds at all. I don't feel it is necessary at this phase. No throbbing, yet!! It will be here soon my man. Let us know how you make out.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 AM   #132
Senior Veteran
(female)

JOhn,

Congrats!!!! You made it! The nurse at my hospital said they need to give out shirts that say, "I survived an external fixator."

I'm glad you are doing great. Can't wait to hear how it feels to walk on it without crutches.

Connor, you are next! Almost there!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #133
Senior Veteran
(female)

kimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB Userkimberp HB User

John,

Glad to hear there were no surprises and you are doing well! Keep us posted on how it goes when you try to put some weight on it. I bet last night you got the best nights sleep you've had in 12 weeks! Gotta love putting your foot directly on the pillow! (Don't be freaked though when you take the bandages off tomorrow though ... lots of blood especially from the shin holes <in my case> but pretty well closed up).

Connor - you're next ... woo-hoo!

Admittedly, reading about you guys getting freed is getting me a little anxious about getting mine put back on! That can't be good, lol ...

Kim

Old 02-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #134
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good luck tomorrow Connor!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #135
(male)

Kim

Wow the blood was freaky. Connor all will be good. Kris if t means long term relief it is well worth it. On a side note, I threw my back out. Lol can't make this up. Walking boot has me all screwed up. But I feel good and no pain meds! Ill keep you all posted.

John

Closed Thread