It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

nogoatcheese HB User
fractured calcaneus - accupuncture?

Fractured my calcaneus 2 weeks ago. No surgery and cast will be off in another 4 weeks. I know I am luckier than many on these boards with this injury. I intend to do lots of pt when cast off and wonder has anyone tried accupunture. Also anyone focussed on nutrition to help healing/

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MobilMom HB User
Re: fractured calcaneus - accupunture?

I am in the exact same place -- broke my calcaneus mid-Sept, no surgery and the cast comes off today (can't WAIT to start PT). I have an appt with an acupuncturist tomorrow -- she said she may try cold laser treatments. I will keep you posted -- seems that acupuncture and cold laser may help with soft tissue healing, nerve damage and blood flow.

Good luck to you -- this is really a "no fun" injury!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
(male)

goatboy011 HB User
Re: fractured calcaneus - accupuncture?

Fractured my calcaneus 9 days ago, they are pushing me for surgery. How/why did you decide to have no surgery.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #4
(female)

nogoatcheese HB User

Hi Mobilmom,
You and I seem to be the only ones to be trying accupunture - I phoned mine (used her during my pregnancies) and she said once cast is off there is quite a lot they can do so looking forward to hearing how you get on.
How has your foot felt with the case off
I have had hardly any pain and am wondering will that all change when I try to walk on it.

Goatboy, I did not have surgery because my othopedic surgeon said he felt he could end up doing more damage so it was an easy decision for me. there are other threads on here calcanueus 12 for example where a lot of others who have had more serious fractures detail what they have and how they decided -key thing is to get as much information as you can. Good luck with your decision

Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

MobilMom HB User

Hi there -- whether or not surgery is required seems to be a function of how severe your break was -- some folks shatter the bone in many spots or displace it pretty bad. There may also be foot joints involved (i.e. the subtalar) that may make surgery more likely. I was borderline enough to not make surgery a clear positive.

You may want to take your CT scan or MRI to another doc for a second opinion -- either an ortho who specializes in foot surgery or a podiatrist who does lots of surgeries.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I did ultrasounds after WB, 12 weeks. I was doing some ROM at 6 weeks, taking walking cast off, then putting back on.

I was also taking protein powder and drinking lots of milk, taking vitamins. I had more then just calc frac though. You will still need to build muscle in your calf again though.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
(male)

limping faster HB User

I'm now 7 months post calcaneus fracture. I received my first accupuncture treatment today, I can thoroughly recommend it. There is no miracle cure and not everyone responds well to accupuncture, I did, Yahoo!
I had been making a slow but steady recovery and inevitably started going backwards. My physio suggested accupuncture , the first session has been very useful & I'm Looking forward to the next treatment, any things worth a try guys, just helps reduce the pain . I didn't think it had helped this morning but I have achieved more today , then was up for the half mile walk to the pub this evening.

Closed Thread