It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
so far so good

went for my 2nd post-op dr appt today after hallux varus surgery. so far i am healing fine. i can start pt in 2 weeks for my big toe. i hope this can possibly be the end of a very long foot saga story.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Re: so far so good

Awesome to hear. It sounds like Kill Bill (Good Movie) when she wakes up after being in a coma for 5 years and can't move well and keeps telling herself to "Wiggle Her Big Toe"

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
(female)

MsTammy HB User

My goodness, Debbie! You're still going through this stuff?! What is hallus varus? I, too, hope that this is the end of the surgical road for you! I can't imagine still going through it. I'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Glad things are progressing in a positive way for you!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
went for my 2nd post-op dr appt today after hallux varus surgery. so far i am healing fine. i can start pt in 2 weeks for my big toe. i hope this can possibly be the end of a very long foot saga story.
Hope you continue to heal and have pain free walking!

Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

thanks you guys-we are the oldies, but goodies! hallux varus is usually caused by a bad bunionectomy. its not that uncommon. the big toe deviates away from the 2nd toe toward the outside. when you cant wear shoes because the big toe is rubbing against the shoe-its time to have it fixed. still the bone has to be cut and the healing resembles that of a fracture. i never saw kill bill!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
thanks you guys-we are the oldies, but goodies! hallux varus is usually caused by a bad bunionectomy. its not that uncommon. the big toe deviates away from the 2nd toe toward the outside. when you cant wear shoes because the big toe is rubbing against the shoe-its time to have it fixed. still the bone has to be cut and the healing resembles that of a fracture. i never saw kill bill!
Debbie, I know you had a fusion because of a bad bunionectomy. I may have to do it and am scared. Can you tell me what your recovery was like. Right now, I can't stand or walk for any period of time. Don't care about wearing high heels anymore. Those days are gone and probably contributed to my bunion problem. Thanks!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dont be scared because it should take all the pain away. everybody seems to have a different toe fusion surgery. i was nwb in a cast for 12 weeks and then a walking boot for 4 weeks. i then fit into xtra wide gym shoes. i takes a year or more for all the swelling to go down. even if you have toe fusion, you can still probably wear 2 in heels. just go to an ortho surgeon and then get another opinion. fusion is the last step and you should not have pain after that. let me know what you are going to do and by the way, what does your dr say about your pain?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

The podiatrist who did the surgery recommended removing the fibial sesmoid bone. I went to Dr. LaPorta in Binghamton who has a pretty good reputation as a podiatric surgeon and he recommended fusion. He said feet can only take so many surgeries and the sesmoid thing might not do it. He said I would be nwb for at least 1 week, if not 2. He uses a metal plate to fuse the joint. Do you have it fused by metal or a bone graft? Thanks for answering my question. I am going to a foot and ankle orthopedic doctor closer to me next week. Also, can you run and dance? I want to be able to be active again. I can bearly walk now.

Last edited by Chubstercat; 10-08-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added sentence

Old 10-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

i had a metal plate and 7 screws. the hardware had to be removed because it was hurting my foot. the plate was too big for my toe. i can do everything with the fused toe. it takes time to get used to. glad you are seeing the ortho.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Quote:
i can do everything with the fused toe. it takes time to get used to. glad you are seeing the ortho.
That is nice to hear. I will be getting my toe fused soon.

Do you miss being able to wiggle your toes? (on days when it doesn't hurt of course!)

Old 10-09-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Didn't you have a sesmoid removed and that didn't work? Are you limited in shoes? Can you do lunges at all?

Old 10-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My trainer makes us do lunges with the big toe pointed up! So I don't see that would be a problem...in fact, it's bound to be easier with it fixed because it sure isn't with it flexing!

Old 10-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

i wish i could wiggle my big toe, but it just stays in place. as far as lunges go, why would the fused toe prevent one to do lunges? i think the biggest limitation would be if you were a ballerina and you need to point you toes or go up toe shoes-you couldnt. if you find the correct shoe to wear you can do pretty much everything. the whole basis for a toe fusion is to get rid of the pain. thank goodness it did for me. i still would like to be able to wear high heels though! i miss that.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Thanks Debbie. Part of the reason I thought of the lunges is that my toe interferes with them now. I do some yoga classes and also curl, and have noticed that the reduced range of motion is a problem.

I have not worn high heels for so long, it would not matter to me. I am 5'7" so do not need the height. Being able to wear even 1/2" heels would be nice.

I now have a surgery date of October 28th. Now I know some timelines and all that. That helps.

Closed Thread