It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
(female)

woods5 HB User
Need opinions on the Sclerosing Injection therapy for Morton's Neuroma

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I have been on. Had to get custom orthotics made. I did and was surprised that they helped me a good bit with my foot issues. Left foot has planter's fasciitis and my right foot could be Second metatarsal Overload syndrome, or Morton's neuroma or Planter's plate rupture.

We recently moved and I just started seeing a new podiatrist. He really feels that I have several Morton's Neuromas, by looking at my history, x-rays and MRI. He would like to do the Sclerosing Injections. I have been trying to research it and am trying to make the best decision for my foot. I would like to have your opinions or experiences with this therapy. Did it work or make things worse? It seems to be the better route over surgery, but how is it having a numb fore foot all the time? If info you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Need opinions on the Sclerosing Injection therapy for Morton's Neuroma

The alcohol injections are the only ones that have a chance of working on the neuromas. Cortizone ones do not. The standard is usually a max of 3 injections per neuroma.

I opted for surgery for mine and had textbook perfect recovery. I am only missing the one nerve ending between the 3 & 4 toes and nover notice it any more.

In my opinion, if you are interested, I would only see a foot and ankle certified sports med othro for this condition. Mark Myerson in Baltimore has an excellent reputation.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

grets67 HB User

Hello-
I had a cortisone injection done under ultrasound guidance done by a musculoskeletal radiologist in Fairfax, VA for a rt 2-3 neuroma, it seemed to help a lot although I probably didn't take it easy enough for a few days and did have some discomfort. Overall there was an improvement. You may still have to address any other underlying biomechanical/structural issues, in my case a long 2nd mt and an unstable/hypermobile 1st ray for which I have had a shortening and a fusion.

I would respectfully disagree that cortisone and sclerosant injections don't work, they do for some and may for you. Having had foot surgery, a rt 5th bunionette which led to the worsening of other issues-surgery cannot be undone and while there are odds which may definitely be in your favor, there are no guarantees. There is little harm in trying a less invasive, potentially successful procedure first. You can always do the surgery later.

I totally agree that you should consider a foot and ankle subspecialty trained orthopedic surgeon for reconstructive surgery, but a good podiatrist should be able to address a neuroma successfully.

Best of luck!

Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

While the cortisone injection may relieve symptoms for a while, the alcohol ones can kill the nerve ending. That's why they are preferable as the opprotunity for finality is there.
Personally, I couldn't see doing the cortisone ones and then going thru the alcohol ones. It's not as if they don't hurt like heck!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

woods5 HB User

Thanks for the thoughts. I am still undecided. Worried about effects of the alcohol shots years from now, and there is no real research. I am definitely not doing the cortisone shots for the neuroma. Just looking for thoughts in the alcohol.

My foot doesn't hurt as much now that I have been wearing the orthotics since March, but I do still get the swelling in the ball of my foot. Maybe I should just deal with the swelling, thou I don't think that is normal...

Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

The alcohol injections have been used for quite some time and there shuld be a body of evidence that they work. I'm not sure what you mean about effects years from now....the nerve ending is dead (if they work) so that's sort of final. Just like having it removed and it heals properly....it's gone so end of story.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I had both the cortisone and alcohol injections, neither of which worked. I ended up with the surgery. The pain is gone and I have no other problems at all. There is a numbness at first, but like titchou says, you get used to it and it becomes the norm. I recommend the surgery, but if you feel it is needed, go for the alcohol injections first. There is no future effects, it is what it is.

Sunny

Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
(female)

woods5 HB User

I realize it kills the nerve and that should be the end of the issues, if it works. I guess what I was wondering, are there sides effects from injecting the alcohol solution into the body, years down the road?

Also my Dr says if the shots don't work, I could have planters plate rupture. But we won't know till I try the shots or go in for surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The alcohol injections have been used for quite some time and there shuld be a body of evidence that they work. I'm not sure what you mean about effects years from now....the nerve ending is dead (if they work) so that's sort of final. Just like having it removed and it heals properly....it's gone so end of story.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

No, there are no side effects. It's a very small amount (the whole injection is not just alcohol). Anyway, most of us ingest larger quantities of alcohol just from cough syrups, etc.

Closed Thread