It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

MACHLADY HB User
Question Pttd

Ok help !!!
I am 10 days post op from PTTD surgery. Can't remember all the things dones to my foot.. about 5 different things osteotomy, Tendon transfer, achillies tendon lengthening and two other procedures. Go back to get stitches out on Monday not looking forward to that!! Can anyone give me some kind of idea how long I will be in a cast ? I am going to try and talk my doc to let me go back to work 1st week in Nov. That will be 4 weeks post op and work from a wheelchair. What do you think my chances are. I have been confined to the bed for the last 10 days getting shots in the stomach 2 times daily to stop blood clots. He told me that the recovery would be long but I really did not go into great lengths. HELP

Old 10-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
(female)

SoCalGal09 HB User
Re: Pttd

Hey Machlady.

Okay, I hope you're sitting down for this. Haha, that was a little humor, get it? You're NWB... okay, anyway... the recovery time for this surgery is at least a year for full recovery. I'm 7 months post op (I had much of the same procedures as you) and I can do a lot of stuff, but not everything I wanted to be doing by now. Just tell yourself to take it one day at a time and don't rush things! Oh, and take a pain med before your stitches removal on Monday. Defintely. It isn't pleasant.

Also, you should be in a hard cast for up to 2 months. After that, you'll probably be in a boot for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. Everyone is different. There is a lady on here who had her surgery at the same time I did, similar procedures, but she was out of her cast and in a boot at 8 weeks, I think. I had to wear the stinking cast three months. Then I was in a boot for two months after that! BUT I was weight bearing before her, so it all depends on your doctor. Ask him/her on Monday and don't get frazzled if you get a lot of 'ifs'. My doctor said I'd probably be in a cast for 2-3 months, then probably the boot for that much after the boot. He was spot on, but there are no guarantees with this surgery. You had your foot broken apart and put back together again. It has to learn how to use all those nerves and bones all over again. Give yourself and your foot time to heal.

As for work - some people are able to go back to work very early on in the recovery and some take months. A lot depends on you - are you younger? Will you heal quickly, or slowly? What sort of job do you do? You said you'd be in a wheelchair, make sure it has the leg extender so you can elevate your foot - that's very important. Some people on here really like the knee walkers, that might be an option later on for you.

Ask your doctor lots and lots of questions. Find out if you'll be doing physical therapy and when you can expect to start that. There are a million threads on here about post op - maybe read through some of them to get an idea of what to expect. It's a roller coaster to be sure. Some days you feel great and some days you'll be down. I wouldn't wish this surgery on my worstest enemy because the recovery is so tough, but if I had to do it again for my other foot, I would. Good luck!

Last edited by SoCalGal09; 10-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread