It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User
Question foot drop

Does anyone know if foot drop can be fixed? I have it on my left side. I told my PM doctor and he said that with all my troubles that it wasn't unexpected and just left it at that. I got so flustered at the doctor's office I just sat there. Anyway it sure makes exercising by walking next to impossible since it causes the opposite foot and leg to hurt. Any help?

Last edited by septemberwoman; 10-27-2009 at 08:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

friendsville HB User
Re: foot drop

I'm missing something,but I assume you have had a stroke,and that you have "Drop Foot"
disfunction.I read about the various "slings" available for your helping to get up steps.
Hope you improve every day,I will pray for you. Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

septemberwoman HB User

I wasn't very clear was I? THis has happened due to my spine problems. The message to maintain the arch isnt getting through to the foot and so I have a completely flat foot on the left--totally flat. (that is how i understand it anyway) I can walk ok for a little way then the pain starts because of the flat foot making the gait and everything else "off" on the other side. It is becoming a real issue and makes my back worse and my opposite leg REALLY hurt! When I worked I had an arch support made for me and it worked but it was over $300 and that was 12 years ago. My insurance wont pay for it. So I just wondered if anyone was like me and have found an "over the counter" support that works for them.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
(female)

skinnybutplenty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberwoman View Post
Does anyone know if foot drop can be fixed? I have it on my left side. I told my PM doctor and he said that with all my troubles that it wasn't unexpected and just left it at that. I got so flustered at the doctor's office I just sat there. Anyway it sure makes exercising by walking next to impossible since it causes the opposite foot and leg to hurt. Any help?
hello i have had foot drop since i was 17 .. one day i woke up and that was that .. doctors didn't know what to do or just didn't care. it ruined my life as a teen .. 2 yrs later i got an afo it made me walk normal but still i could't wear the shoes i use 2 wear b4 . one docotor told me to stop trying i will be like this for the rest of my life , just be happy you have both of your legs . he said that if it has been a year then it is nothing they can do about it . i have research and found the mayo clinic .. i called but it was to late for me .. they have a video on how they treated someone with foot drop ..i thought i was the only one that had it .

Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

whpstickagostop HB User

Foot drop is "fixable" but I think it depends on what caused it. I had foot drop when I was 16 due to a pinched nerve behind my knee. They used some electric stimulation directly to the nerve via needles to fix the problem. Not sure if they could do something similar considering the problem is in your back, but at least there is something that you could look into/ask the doc about.

Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
(female)

whpstickagostop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpstickagostop View Post
Foot drop is "fixable" but I think it depends on what caused it. I had foot drop when I was 16 due to a pinched nerve behind my knee. They used some electric stimulation directly to the nerve via needles to fix the problem. Not sure if they could do something similar considering the problem is in your back, but at least there is something that you could look into/ask the doc about.

Good Luck!
I am also assuming you are using the term foot drop correctly which is when your foot can't be lifted up (like tapping toes) when your heel is on the ground due to nerve signaling issues.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
(female)

anukasbe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by septemberwoman View Post

Closed Thread