It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

aimski HB User
BILATERAL SCARF OSTEOTOMY (bunions) Please help-I have a few questions

Hi everyone,

just wondered if those who have had this precedure could let me know (even just roughly).....

- how long they were off work (I have an office job)
- how long it took to get into a 'normal' shoe
-how long before they stopped elevating for the majority of the day
- how long before they were really active again ie gym/running

thank you!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
(female)

aimski HB User
Re: BILATERAL SCARF OSTEOTOMY (bunions) Please help-I have a few questions

Hi, again,

I should have said before that this is my 9th day post-op and although I feel I am now doing ok (after some painful periods) I was just trying to get a clear idea of when I can expect to do things again.... any of your experiences would be greatly appcreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

aimski HB User

wow, what's a girl to write, to get a reply??

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

summerluvr HB User

hmm... I have had two different procedures that what you had and did one foot at a time, so I can't say for sure, but I am 15 days post op from chevron bunion correction on right foot and am going back to work on Monday. I am walking "ok" in the boot, not too much swelling, minimal pain. I use one crutch to help get around but am walking fully on the foot (in the boot)

If you had both feet done I think it all depends on what you feel comfortable with. if you can get around ok. I wouldn't push it though. My first foot was a severe correction (Lapidus procedure) and I was off work 6 weeks for that foot alone.

Hope that helps

Old 10-30-2009, 12:24 AM   #5
(female)

aimski HB User

hey, thanks so much for your reply Sumerluvr

I had to start a new thread.....I was enjoying the banter between us all on the last one

well I DO appreciate your info!! I know it is different, but all the same the one theme I keep hearing is don't overdo it...I have been feeling a bit better the last few days and as a result have done a few more things on my own..but I pay for it later on with throbbing pain..so it is really important to not go to hard, wait till you are REALLY ready before doing things again...

Good luch with work...I hope it goes well for you!!
please let me know

Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #6
(female)

pearl66 HB User

Hi Aimski

I am 15 weeks post op from bilateral scarf bunionecromy, I only went back this week as i have a job that i am on my feet all day. The swelling is not quite so bad now and i can get into a lot of my shoes which i thought i would never, be able to.I seem to be doing more normal things now which is a good thing and a sign of things to come.I dont elevate any more except sometimes at night when im watching tv. i still like to soak my feet in a foot bath with tea tree oil and then give them a good massage i think they deserve this after what they have been through.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
(female)

aimski HB User

I'm happy to say that on day 11 they pain is FINALLY reducing, and I am feeling so much better about what I have done!!! I have left the house once in those 11 days, and it was a trip around my parent's farm in a wheelchair (about 30min in total)...so I am starting to think about other outings I could possibly be able to do!!
It's all looking up!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
(female)

aimski HB User
Re: BILATERAL SCARF OSTEOTOMY (bunions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl66 View Post
Hi Aimski

I am 15 weeks post op from bilateral scarf bunionecromy, I only went back this week as i have a job that i am on my feet all day. The swelling is not quite so bad now and i can get into a lot of my shoes which i thought i would never, be able to.I seem to be doing more normal things now which is a good thing and a sign of things to come.I dont elevate any more except sometimes at night when im watching tv. i still like to soak my feet in a foot bath with tea tree oil and then give them a good massage i think they deserve this after what they have been through.
thank you Pearl!!!
I had to create my own thread- so I appreciate you coming here and answering my questions (sorry if it was me that caused yours to close) lots of politics hey
anyway, THANK YOU...so in that 15 weeks were you elevated for the majority of the time? I just don't know what I would do for 15 weeks?
soaking the feet sounds great!! I can't wait to do the same (when I get the bandages off on wed) I can not wait to get them off!! After 11 days I am starting to get frustrated...esp on my left toe as they have wrapped it very tight.

ood luck with work!! hope it goes well for you!!
aimski

Old 10-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
(female)

pearl66 HB User

I couldnt wait to get my bandages off also at the 14 day. I also had a half cast and after my first visit post op they put this back and wrapped bandages around tightly. These bandages i could not take of for another 4 weeks. And boy when they came of my skin was just shredding. At least you get nice soft skin again on your feet and since i have been really looking after them and giving them hot soaks and massages the skin is still nice and soft. But i know how you feel abount wanting to soak them i had to wait until the 6 week app before i could get mine wet

Glad to hear you say the pain is getting a little less everybodies pain threshhold is different and periodically you will get sharp pains just out of the blue but i suppose its all those bones getting back to where they feel comfortable.
Just dont do to much

Old 10-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimski View Post

I had to start a new thread.....I was enjoying the banter between us all on the last one

:

I miss that thread too......I posted a question about why they do not allow group threads. I have not had an answer. I guess we have to be careful not to make this a group thread.

How are your feet?

Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Oooooooo.....I would so love to soak my foot! I miss that already. I get my stitches out on Nov 9th.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
(female)

aimski HB User

Hi all,
Just wanted to say I spent 2.5 hours sitting in a cafe today, and walked around the house on and off without crutches......now (a few hours later) I don't feel too bad!!! I must say I have pain in my feet where I was putting pressure on the other side to compensate for the other side where all the stitchers are.. but other then that...not too bad at all ;-) I am going to take it easy tomorrow thought...just to be on the safe side

stitches out Wed 4th..yipeee!!! was so nice to get out of the house today! (first time in 13 days!!)

Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #13
(female)

aimski HB User

hmmm DIDN'T think I would get away with it today.....both big toes throbbing and have a numb but painfully numb feel. All toes feel hard to wriggle...the opposite side of my foot (to the stitches) is aching!!! hope I haven't sent all my progress back to square one;-(

Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Put your feet up and relax. Hopefully this was just a reminder to take it easy and that it will pass quickly. How are you feeling now?

I am planning to go to church this morning. That will be two hours out of the house probably. I will be able to put my foot up on the pew without problems, so should be good. Failing that, I will have the rest of the day to elevate and relax.

Take care.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
(female)

aimski HB User

Thanks Northwind,

I am feeling a little better today, but similer to what I wrote last night sadly
toes still stiff and hard to wriggle...stitch areas still reminding me every 2 minutes they are still there!!

I am getting my fisrt visitors today too....I am feeling anxious about not being able to be a good host while they are here...stupid I know....must resist urge to get up and do things for them....
cheers

Closed Thread