It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

dbast HB User
Is this normal

Hello again! Hope this finds everone doing well. It has been really quiet on here lately. I have a question....Is this normal?...I started working again last week. It seemed fine with no problems with any swelling or anything, but Thursday when I got home and took my boot off to do my exercises my daughter told me my foot looked like a cabbage patch doll!! It was almost as swollen as it was when I first saw it a week after surgery. I elevated and iced it and it was more normal looking by the time I went to bed. I didn't have anymore swelling issues over the weekend (I was off work Friday). I had the same issue today though when I got off work. I haven't been getting up very much at work, maybe once or twice a day, the rest of the time I am sitting at my desk. Is this a normal thing or something I should let the Doc know about. I don't go back to see him until the 13th. I skipped the exercises Thursday night because it was so swollen and I had PT the next day. Oh yeah, at PT on Friday, I could pull my foot up to -10 and she could get it to -2. I think I was at -40 when I started!!!

Dawn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: 200mm OCL in my talus

My ankle started swelling as soon as I started walking on it too. It's still swollen and it's been 2 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

anklehelp HB User

I think it's normal. I am six months post OATs and if I stand on my feet all day it swells, or if I go country dancing too

Sounds like you're doing well...great to hear!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
(female)

dbast HB User

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am more normal thank I thought...lol. I am not walking on it yet. I have another 4 1/2 weeks before we start that. I am excited that I am on the back side of the NWB period, but the thought of walking on it kinda scares me. I go back to see him next week, I just wonder what he'll do then. I am assuming he will stop PT for now, since I am only giong to get enough motion to be able to flatten my foot.

Anklehelp - I am so glad to hear that you can country dance at six months. That is what I love to do! I get sad when I listen to the radio and think about not being able to dance. I was under the impression it would be close to a year before I would be able to dance like that again. My best friend wants us to go with her to Nashville in January, but I said no. I am not walking into a place like the Wild Horse Saloon wearing a walking boot!! And, furthermore, I will not go into a place for country dancing if I can only sit and watch. I would need anti-depression meds! She is aggravated at me for saying no, but I think somewhere (down deep) she understands...lol.

Best wishes to everyone!!

Dawn

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

anklehelp HB User

Yeah, Dawn, I know what you mean. I had a friend who had a birthday party at a country dance hall over the summer and I didn't go cause I was in a boot back then and on crutches. I didn't want to sit in the corner and watch...that's just torture!
You'll be back in your cowboy boots and out of the ortho boot soon enough though, and when you dance you'll appreciate it and cherish it so much more. Sounds corny, but it's true!

Closed Thread