It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

aimski HB User
7 weeks post-op - Bilaterial Bunionectomy - where am I now?

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Purple"]HEY EVERYONE!!

Almost 7 weeks since the big day, I got my big bunions removed!!
I really wasn't sure I would ever get to this point, BUT- I feel like I am NOW through the worst and it is ALL uphill from here!!

Since ditching the boots, I was able to get back into my work shoes....but I did experience some swelling and they became a little too tight, so I got into the running shoes. I then decided it might be time to get back to a podiatrist and see what they thought of it all.
As a side note, I moved away from the pod that referred me for surgery, so I had to find someone else but she was GREAT!! She put me onto these shoes 'fit flops' that are soo comfortable. They are so soft, but supportive and the straps don't come anywhere near your wounds so there is no irritation.
She told me to ALWAYS wear shoes- either my runners with orthotics or these 'fit flops' as it is the bare feet on hard flat surfaces that encourage bunions to return and the shoes will encourage me to walk properly (without overcompensating for the painful areas). She said I needed a bit of a heal in my shoes to make this happen- and I really see what she means now!

My surgeon is a man of VERY few words, so it was great to talk to my podiatrist about all of these things. It just blows my mind how little he shares.
I asked him if I should start physio – he said ‘if you want to- you don’t have to’ That was it. Said nothing about what shoes I should now wear (and to me that is pretty important). I guess they see that their part is done- the rest is up to me….
Anyway, I just wanted to let people know how much better I am doing, and encourage you to get to your podiatrist and talk things out if your surgeon is no help!!! I went for a big walk yesterday in my 'fit flops' and Yes my feet were a bit swollen by the end of it, but I felt good and I now know I can do it! My range of motion through the big toes is improving everyday and the exercise bike no longer gives me pain.
This weekend my task is to get back in the car- am going for a driving lesson with my husband soon

How is everyone else going??????
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by aimski; 12-05-2009 at 04:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: 7 weeks post-op - Bilaterial Bunionectomy - where am I now?

Hi aimski, it is good to hear you are doing so well. That is awesome news. I have heard so many people saying that foot surgery ought to be avoided at all costs. I am sitting here wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I go back to the surgeon on Monday to see if my foot is fusing as it should. I will have x-rays first, and then see him. I am looking forward to seeing how it is doing. It feels good. Today I did a lot of tromping around town shopping. It feels good. My heels are sore and reminding me that there are spurs there, but that is normal sore feet and will settle down. While we were out I was talking to a colleague. She had both her feet done by the surgeon who did mine. The first was three years ago, and the second was last year. She is very happy with the results. That is encouraging.

Take care and may you continue to heal well.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

MonicaB HB User

Aimski and Northwind -- thank you for the updates. I've been "lurking" and following your progress. It's so good to hear you're both doing so well.

I'm having Lapidus done on my right foot on Tuesday, and the reality is setting in. Two months of walking on crutches and no driving is finally starting to become real to me. I rented one of those IWalkFree crutches and it was a disaster. I'm pretty athletic and was looking forward to using it for some freedom and independence, but I guess I'm just not graceful or coordinated enough for it! LOL Plus my left foot has a big ol' bunion too and just isn't steady enough, I think. So it's really good to hear your stories and learn that it won't last forever!

Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Monica, I am surprised at how quickly this has passed. I am even looking forward to being able to drive again soon.......I lived through that one!

Good luck with your surgery. May you heal well. Please keep us posted.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
(female)

MonicaB HB User

Thanks, Northwind! That's good to hear. I'll post an update after surgery. Now, I think I'll go drive somewhere, just because I still can.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=MonicaB;4137935]Now, I think I'll go drive somewhere, just because I still can. [/QUOTE]

I am hoping to be able to say that tomorrow! (or very soon)

Old 12-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
(female)

mazzy55 HB User

I am 2-months post op bunionectomy on left foot with the flexor tendon of the 2nd toe straightened. I am still experiencing swelling and am limping around - the foot gets worse when it is tired. This procedure was done by a Podiatrist - I have since found out that they are NOT QUALIFIED in the same way as an Orthopaedic Surgeon is. I had no information beforehand, during or after the procedure. The Podiatrist who actually did my procedure is referring me for physiotherapy. I also saw the other Podiatrist in his absence who informed me that I now need manipulation, again under local anaesthetic, but this Podiatrist didn't agree. These are two guys working in the same department, but with different opinions. I also sometimes experience a pins and needles or just needles sensation underneath the foot - sometimes on the other foot, too, where I am putting more pressure on it. I've had no advice regarding footwear - I just wear whichever shoes I can get on each day. If I wear shoes or boots that are really flat, after a while these start to cause pain. Has anyone else had this procedure and is experiencing similar problems? I'd be happy to hear from anyone.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
(female)

aimski HB User

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hi all,

The milestones keep coming!! I am back driving!! It was fine...very little pain (even when doing emergency stops through a parking lot). I also ditched the fit ball under my desk yesterday, and I am walking really long distances.
I still sleep with my wedge as I like them being up for 8 hours while I sleep, but other then that (and the fact that I can't run yet) I feel pretty normal again!!!
yay!!![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 12-15-2009, 04:45 AM   #9
(female)

aimski HB User
news flash!!

I was running today!! Well not really, but I did run across the road to avoid an oncomming car!!!! It didn't hurt a bit either!!! I may even dust off the old shoes and give a light jog a go.....just in time too, because the kg's are starting to creap up thanks to all this lying around
how is everyone else going???? There were so many of you who had just had the op or where about to have it a few weeks ago!!
Would love to hear how you are!!
take care
Amy

Old 12-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi amiski, that is awesome news. Be careful about pushing things too far too soon.........you do not want to take any steps backwards!

My foot is doing well. I saw the surgeon last week for the six week follow-up and got permission to walk on my entire foot, and to drive. I think my orthotics will need an adjustment for that foot, so I have made an appointment with the podiatrist who prescribed them for me. I go to see him in January, so hoepfully my foot will be in proper shape to do that. I can wear my shoes again, and more importantly, my boots. That is good in this weather because we got down to -40 on Sunday and have warmed up to -31 at the warmest. Good boots are appreciated now, and I am glad I am no longer wearing a Birkenstock on that foot! My shoes are all sensible flat shoes with wide toe boxes because that is all my foot could do. I am hoping to be able to go to less sensible, maybe in the summer.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Hi, Ladies! It's so good to hear how both of you are doing! I had surgery on my right foot a week ago (lapidus bunionectomy, shortened 2nd metatarsal and gastroc recession). If I remember correctly, in August when I had the procedures on my left foot, I was in a lot of pain at this point. It might be that I learned how to control it with the pain meds, or this one just wasn't as painful. Whatever it is, I'm thankful! LOL! I have my first post-op appointment next Monday and will hopefully get the ace bandage/splint cast removed and put into a removeable boot cast. I've got 3-4 more weeks off work, so I'm going to rest up as much as I can. I think I was too anxious last time and pushed myself to get back to work too soon. My left foot is still healing, but it feels great. Very little pain, and very little swelling.

Aimski - my surgeon said I shouldn't expect to get back to running for a year. The swelling will take that much time to go away, and until that happens, I need to take it easy.

Monica - I think we had our surgeries on the same day last week. How are you doing?

Mazzy - Isn't it frustrating to get 2 different answers from the same clinic? As if you're supposed to figure out which one is correct?? Yikes! I had my surgery done by a surgeon who specializes in foot and ankle surgery. He is great. He takes time to answer all my questions, does great work, reassures me I'm healing normally, and both times the hospital staff told me he is the best. I believe our attitude has a whole lot to do with our healing, and our medical staff will affect our attitude.

~ Jill

P.S. In case you don't recognize my screen name, the administrators changed it from jah763 to jane806. I guess they do that if you get in trouble posting...

Last edited by jane806; 12-15-2009 at 09:13 AM.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Jane, I am glad to hear you are off to a good start. I do remember you as jah. It is interesting that they changed your name on you. Thanks for letting us know who you are.

Heal well!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Northwind - I had no idea they would change my user name. My name isn't Jane, it's Jill. I have no idea why they would select Jane. LOL!

I really didn't have too much to post before my second surgery, but I'll probably be back at least once a week until I have nothing more to report!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #14
(female)

MonicaB HB User

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Amy, be careful running. I already miss it after only a week, so I know how excited you must be to get going. My doc told me 6 months til running but that was after a Lapidus procedure, which is a bit more severe than what you had. The docs are all different, aren't they?

Northwinds, BRRRR! Birkenstocks in that weather?! So glad you can get into boots now. My husband has already informed me that my next foot must be done in the summer, as he's freezing getting me ice. And Atlanta weather is just a bit milder than where you are.

Jane/Jill, hi! Thanks for thinking of me. Sounds like you're doing great after only a week. I'm glad to report that I am too. I was supposed to have the Lapidus done last Tuesday, but woke up to hear the doc say he was able to fix it with an Austin procedure and another small procedure. Only 2 weeks non-weight bearing instead of 8. I'll take it! In fact, based on what a klutz I am with the crutches, I feel downright blessed. I am either going to kill myself or the dog with these things. I had my first post-op appt yesterday and my new foot looks great, even swollen and black and blue! I got permission to take a shower standing up, with very light pressure on my heel. I feel like such a grown-up!

As far as the pain goes, if anyone else new is reading this, it was not bad at all. In fact, I stopped taking the pain pills after only 12 hours, because they made me so sick. I took Advil for another day, then that's been it. After hearing about some people's pain, I was worried. I have some tenderness from the swelling and some random shooting pains in my big toe joint once in a while, but that is it. Of course, I expect that to change once I start putting weight on it, but it's definitely tolerable now.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi ladies. We are having a heatwave here today. It is twenty degrees warmer than it was on Sunday morning......it is -23C Bring out the shorts!

Jane/Jill and Monica, it is good to hear you are doing well. Monica, I am jealous that you get to have a shower so soon. I had to wait about three weeks before I could do that. Enjoy!

Amy, I forgot to mention that I understand the running thing. When my foot was still bandaged and just after it, I was aware that I could not scoot across the road quickly if I had to. I understood why it was scary for some people to cross the road. The first time I realized I could "run" if a car was coming was a good moment.

Monica, do stay warm down there in Atlanta! Amy, don't forget the sunscreen, I understand it is around 30 C down there.

Closed Thread