It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

Pegret HB User
Weight issues in recovery

What I am looking at is my weight before surgery and now. I am overweight but not huge, but I managed to lose 2 pounds, not counting the cast weight since surgery. I am especially delighted to say that since surgery #1 on May 28 I have a loss of 10.5 pounds. I am being told the average is to gain 15 pounds over the 3 months of one surgery/recovery. What is your experience? Have you gained? That seems like a huge amount. I am still not going to be able to get much in the movement category, but the doc told me yesterday that he expects I will be able to hike by next summer. Now that makes me happy. He is pleased with the healing so far but I am suppose to be patient as it is still fragile...9-12 months healing. Foot #1 is now at 6 months and #2 is 6 weeks.
Peg

Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Weight issues in recovery

congratulations on the weight loss and the recovery. when i had toe fusion, i also lost weight, but i lost muscle mass, also. the recent surgery i had i gained weight and i am still trying to get it off. the fusion was a long recover where this was just 2 months. work your upper body, try to do sit ups and most importantly dont overeat. i guess thats what i did for the last surgery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Whenever I have surgery I lose weight. I have no appetite when I sit around. The first few weeks after I eat because I have to. Luckily my mom knows me well and brings me food she knows I like, and need, and makes me eat it. People think I'm lucky, but there is nothing like staring at a refrigerator knowing you need to eat and not being able to find something. I'm thin already and have lost 5 pounds leading up to surgery on Thursday from stress. I can't lose more.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I've gained a bit. I suppose I could eat and drink less. I was in wreck, and my stomach was in my chest cavity, so I lost alot of weight in ICU, other wise it would be worse.

Beacuse they cut me up the middle, my fat is stuck in spot, it doesn't spread, I got a big ball.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I'm average weight and had my first bunionectomy in August and lost 5 lbs because I had no appetite, and it took forever to get into the kitchen! LOL! I had my second bunionectomy yesterday and feel the same way so far. Because of all the pain meds, my stomach feels better with bread-type foods, so I have my freezer stocked with scones.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegret View Post
I am being told the average is to gain 15 pounds over the 3 months of one surgery/recovery. What is your experience? Have you gained?
Peg
Hi Peg,

Great topic for a post! I was just thinking about this the other day. I have had 7 surgeries on my foot/ankle in the last 3 1/2 years. If I were to gain the average you shared with us in your post, I would have gained 105 lbs. While I lost weight while recovering from my first couple of surgeries (due in part to the pain from the infection making my appetite disapear), I have gained weight while recovering from the rest. Thank goodness I did not gain 100+ lbs! I think part of the weight gain can be from the meds - like Lyrica. I don't know about anyone else, but that med made me crave sugar and eat everything in sight. There was another pill I took at night that gave me a voracious appetite throughout the day. It was frustrating!

To complicate things even further, recovering from foot/ankle surgery makes working out extremely hard if not impossible. And the pain meds I was on sucked out any motivation or energy I may have had. I guess it is no surprise that I put on weight.

I am so happy the toughest part of my foot saga is over. Now, I am gaining ground every day and becoming more active. I've been working out at the gym, walking the track, swimming in the pool and hiking. I'm also off most of the meds that affected my weight. Hopefully, I will be able to lose the weight quickly. I am sure my residual pains will decrease as I lose the weight.

Thank you for writing this post! It has really helped me because I was starting to feel quite depressed about my weight.

Glad things are going well for you and that you will be hiking by next summer! See you on the trail!

Step

Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
(female)

FiddlerJo HB User

Great topic! I fractured my calcaneus in August and lost some weight because I couldn't get to the kitchen by myself....then I figured it out....I ate because I was depressed about not being able to get around independently and a general lack of control brought on by the injury and recovery process (but I used the excuse that I wanted to make sure I had enough nutrients to heal well!)...Well...now I'm walking and doing well with my recovery so have to face losing weight! Ugh!!!

Congrats to those of you who have self control and discipline....After the holidays I'm hoping to get some.

Joanna

Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
(female)

mammymim HB User

I am 61 & 6 ft tall. I was about 50 lb overweight mostly in my middle.I had surgery 4.5 weeks ago. I lost weight at first due to reaction to antibiotics but now my jeans feel a little snug due to a healthy appetite &of course little exercise... I swam 3 time s a week prior to surgery but didn't do much wt bearing activity due to foot pain. So I have gotten heavy. I hope I can get back in shape after I recouver. My left foot is almost as bad as the rt. so will have it fixed later. I think Pegret is smart to have had both done, I hope I can soon too although I dread a second recovery.... this foot pain affects the whole body doesn't it. Marilyn ( mammy mim)

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

a big congratulations! i too lost weight from my toe fusion surgery. i gained when i had a simpler surgery after that. i finally lost the weight, but mid-age is showing on my body! i so dont like it, but gravity dictates. keep up the positive life change you have.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
(female)

annieup HB User

what kind of surgery did you have? you are scaring me. I'm booked for 2/3/10 and I am having my bunions done consecutively.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

i think you were talking to me. i had hallux varus where my big toe was deviating to the outside. i was depressed this time around because i was homeward bound again. dont worry-you will be fine. i just hate being inactive.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
(female)

mammymim HB User

I got out today as my back was so out due to my weird body mechanics that a friend took me to the chiropractor.. of course a trip to 2 different quilt stores didn't hurt either as i felt touch therapy " touching fabric" would help... I am an avid quilter & it went well & was lots of fun.. I am fining shops that are knee scooter assesible as well as bathrooms that are really handicap assessible...where you can get youe walker in the stall with you & the ones that have elevated toilets & good bars to get assit. many don't work but the Starbucks & a some restaurants have good ones. the sunshine helped as I live in the rainy northwest.PS my friend used my husbands rig as it is an SUV & one I can get in & out of easily

Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
(female)

mammymim HB User

you will be Ok..its better to be prepared as much as you can beforehand so you have things around to entertain you & help you be comfortable beforehand...I have a hard time asking others for help but this situ. makes it imperative that I give up my pride & ask fore help...most people seem genuinely happy to help out. Good luck.The weight isn't too big a problem I can still zip up my jeans..I just need to eat less fat & more vegs...This is just a season in life we go thru.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
(female)

aimski HB User

hey guys, I just wanted to say that I really had to watch what I ate during the 4 weeks I was 'out of action'. I went on 'lite n easy' (calorie controlled meals delivered to my door) it was great, becuase I eat when I am bored- and believe me, I was bored MOST of the time!!! I also watched my Muscle deteriorate before my eyes- (I was very active and made sure I was super fit prior to the op) so it was a real shock to see the calf muscle turn to jelly in a matter of days (not weeks). Anyway the point it, I knew I was a person who would eat out of bordom, so I did something about it- made sure there was Only good food around me- and this made all the difference-
I los 4 kg (sorry don't do your measurements) - think it is 8.8lb....according to google...
i bet some of that was all the muscle though....anyway just something to think about....don't get depressed- no one can be blamed for getting down while being stuck inside for days/weeks on end
take care everyone
xx

Last edited by aimski; 01-26-2010 at 02:21 AM.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #15
(female)

wtwct HB User

I used a wheelchair when I was recovering. I lost weight. Unfortunately, since I started walking, I started to gain again. So - - When I get home from work, I get in my wheelchair and roll around. There was a guy at work who had foot surgery, he said that he was gaining weight, I let him use my chair at work and he lost about 20 lbs. I guess its like cardio workout but all the time.

Closed Thread