It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
(female)

carrlaf HB User
4th 5th metatarsal fusion

Hi,
I am a 46 year old DISH (Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis) sufferer. I have had both shoulders, one knee, and one ankle successfully 'roto rootered' in the last 17 years.

Here's the latest. I have been having left foot pain for over a year right where the 4th and 5th metatarsal meet the cuboid bone. I have had 2 injections under fluoroscope, a CT and bone scan about a year ago and now a CT/bone scan fusion. The surgeon who did my ankle surgery was great but completely stumped by this problem. I have a new surgeon was a bit as well until the CT fusion. He now says that the problem is arthritis between the 4th and 5th metatarsal and that cleaning up the joint and fusing just those bones together is the answer. That this kind of fusion (and this problem) is rare but won't severely impact range of motion and stride pattern in the foot.

I am clearly not too afraid of surgery but the thought of fusing bones and leaving hardware in my foot has me a bit freaked out. AND this is not a surgery that I can research online, which is a habit of mine when making big decisions.

Any help or suggestions from anyone out there?? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
(male)

Jodo2 HB User
Re: 4th 5th metatarsal fusion

Hi

I'm afraid that I can't help with your question, but I have a question for you:

I have DISH also and I have about 8 or 10 joints that need some 'work' from metatarasls to my shoulders. I have been afraid to have any grinding done because I'm concerned that the DISH might cause agressive regrowth of the bone where the surgery is performed and may result in even worse spurs / calcifications.

What's your experience with this?

Thanks - and good luck with your problem

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

the hardware in your toe doesnt mean anything. i had toe fusion, but i had to have the hardware removed about a year later. the plate and some screws were protruding and it really hurt. i still have some screws.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
(female)

tetapouche HB User

Just saw this post and am guessing by now you either did or didn't have the surgery. I'm curious on how it turned out as I had 1st, 2nd and 3rd metatarsal fusions-two of 'em as a matter of fact, in May and June of 09-and have NEVER come across anyone who has had this specific type of fusion. Hope all went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrlaf View Post
Hi,
I am a 46 year old DISH (Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis) sufferer. I have had both shoulders, one knee, and one ankle successfully 'roto rootered' in the last 17 years.

Here's the latest. I have been having left foot pain for over a year right where the 4th and 5th metatarsal meet the cuboid bone. I have had 2 injections under fluoroscope, a CT and bone scan about a year ago and now a CT/bone scan fusion. The surgeon who did my ankle surgery was great but completely stumped by this problem. I have a new surgeon was a bit as well until the CT fusion. He now says that the problem is arthritis between the 4th and 5th metatarsal and that cleaning up the joint and fusing just those bones together is the answer. That this kind of fusion (and this problem) is rare but won't severely impact range of motion and stride pattern in the foot.

I am clearly not too afraid of surgery but the thought of fusing bones and leaving hardware in my foot has me a bit freaked out. AND this is not a surgery that I can research online, which is a habit of mine when making big decisions.

Any help or suggestions from anyone out there?? Thanks!

Closed Thread